“Great for families”

Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Chicago, IL
“Great for families”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I chose this hotel because of its proximity to Disneyland, the free breakfast, free parking, and great reviews. Overall, it was a good experience. We checked in at 1 am on a Friday night and were told that the hotel was all out of the 1 bedroom suites so we were upgraded to a Penthouse which we were very happy about. The suite was spacious, clean, and pretty, but the layout didn’t offer much privacy. The upstairs King bedroom was completely open to the downstairs which caused problems when some of us wanted to go to sleep while others wanted to watch TV. One plus is that the King bedroom had its own bathroom with the sink/vanity area on the outside. A full kitchen, living room, and queen bedroom were downstairs. The queen bedroom was separated by French doors. The downstairs bathroom could only be accessed by going through the bedroom. While this layout was fine for us, I can see it causing problems for larger groups.
The breakfast in the morning was delicious and offered a lot of choices. As other reviews mentioned, the dining area was very crowded on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but we had no problem finding a table and the friendly staff did an excellent job of keeping the food stocked and tables cleaned. The hotel was only a 10 or 15 minute walk from the Disneyland parks so we didn’t bother with the shuttle bus. The hotel is also surrounded by plenty of dining options.
One hint to save money, a cab from LAX is usually around $100 each way. With the free parking at the hotel, renting a car was by far the more economical option.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Kimberly R, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear kkmengland,

Thank you for such an informative review. I am glad you had an good overall experience with us. What a great surprise it must have been to be upgraded to the Penthouse suite. Being that we are busy year round with Disney, upgrades are not always available so it’s great to know you were given one. Our Penthouse suites have a loft area upstairs which, as you stated, is completely open to the downstairs area. The great part about this room is that if one was looking for privacy, the downstairs room with the French doors is separate from the living room and loft area. If guests would like a little bit more privacy, I would recommend the Two Bedroom suite which has two separate bedrooms with doors.

I completely agree with your “hint” on renting a vehicle. Especially if families are looking on doing more than just Disneyland (Universal Studios, Knott’s Berry Farm, and Sea World) it can be very convenient and cost efficient. However, if renting a car isn’t what you prefer, a cheaper way of transportation other than a cab would be Super Shuttle. Super Shuttle charges per person as opposed to a cab which is ran by a meter.

Thank you again for your time in writing this review. I hope we get a chance to accommodate you in the future.

Sales Associate
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is a very nice place to stay. The Crystal Cathedral is just a few blocks down the road and Disney Land is one mile away. Many restaurants to chose from. The rooms are nice and there is a full kitchen if you want to eat in.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Christine C
Kimberly R, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Christine C,

I very much appreciate such brief and benevolent review. Due to the fact that we are in such an appealing part of town we are close to many different places. The Crystal Cathedral is no more than five minutes away in a vehicle and Disney is just less than a half of a mile away. Also, if you are not looking to do a quick five minute walk to the Gardenwalk (where the restaurants are located) the front desk has plenty of take-out menu’s that will deliver right to your door.

Thank you again for a great response!

Caledonia, Michigan
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed five days on business for a trade show. Good location, close to everything you need. It's slightly back from Harbor Blvd. which is nice as there is no traffic noise. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Free breakfast is often crowded with families preparing for day at Disneyland, but I never had trouble finding a place to sit. My room/suite was very large with plenty of closet space and a very nice size work station to conduct business. The only knock was the couch had stains, making me avoid sitting on it. But all other furniture and decor looked fairly new (they need to replace the couch!). Free internet works well and isn't too slow. Didn't have any trouble finding a parking spot at any time. Given the price of larger flagship hotels in the area, this place is a gem. Would definitely consider booking this again next year.

Room Tip: They will do your shopping for you if given a grocery list early in the morning. Your groceries wil...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear michiganpete7,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a response on our hotel. It’s fantastic to know that even though you were here on business, that you were still able to enjoy your stay as if it were a vacation. As you stated, our location is adjacent to Disney, yet at the same time is also away from the main roads. I am glad that you mentioned our complimentary grocery shopping service because it is such a huge help for incoming families. How it works is we ask that you bring a list of groceries by 9am and we do the shopping for you and have it back in your room by about noon. If you are an incoming guest and would like the items in your room prior to arrival feel free to email me the list and I will take care of it. Thank you for mentioning that, as it will be so much easier for arriving guests.

Lastly, it would be great if you could contact me in regards to the state of the couch. I would like to speak to you personally so this issue can be resolved for any future guests. Also, when you decide to start planning your next trip to visit, feel free to contact me so I could alleviate the process: krosales@rimhospitality.com

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I were using the GPS to get us to Disneyland and hoped to stumble across a Residence Inn as we'd recently stayed in one on Long Island and enjoyed it. Right off I5 it was one of the first hotels we came across so we went straight in to ask for a room. The guys on reception were friendly and helpful and invited us back to the Nacho Night that evening (we didn't make it, but appreciated the offer!). As others have said, the rooms are a little tired, but we found it to be clean, roomy (we had a studio, plenty of room for two), and really well-equipped facilities (didn't know you could get a microwave that big!). Full fridge/freezer, oven/stove, microwave etc, so plenty of opportunity to save a few $$ by shopping at a supermarket (we found one about 5 mins drive away), and making your own lunches and dinners. The breakfasts (included in cost of room) were very plentiful and a good variety of foods to choose from. We enjoyed sitting outside in the wee courtyard to eat. Also, just down the road (5 min walk) is the Cheesecake Factory - brilliant well-priced fresh food (not just cheesecakes, though they're to die for!). The walk to Disneyland was around 10 mins, totally acceptable to us, but then we didn't have small children. If you don't feel that walking's an option for you then they offer a shuttle bus anyway ($4 per adult) - we figured the exercise would be good for us. All in all, we felt if was good value for money. Sure there are fancier places, but you'll be paying a lot more too. If just getting to Disneyland is your once-in-a-lifetime trip then the RI Anaheim will help keep the funds in balance (because you won't be saving money at Disneyland!).

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kiw1Girl
Kimberly R, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Kiw1Girl,

What a perfect way to stumble upon us! Guests normally have no problems finding us because, as you mentioned, we are literally right off the freeway (exit Disney Way). The Marriot brand does an excellent job maintaining standards that accompany all guests perfectly. Things such as providing full breakfast every day, fully equipped kitchens and evening social hours primarily attract visitors.

Though we are famous for being the birthplace of the Disneyland resort, the great thing about our city is that Anaheim is conveniently located to well-known attractions. The Gardenwalk is a newly-opened outdoor shopping & dining center with family-friendly, well-liked restaurants such as The Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen, Bubba Gump Shrimp, PF Changs…and more. Grocery stores, shopping, movie theaters, bowling, and golf courses are all within a one-mile radius of our hotel. If you hop in your car, you can visit a range of natural attractions like our world-famous sunny California beaches or snowy ski-resort mountains.

Thank you again for such a great review! I am sure that just with your input you have informed future guests of our hotel.

Cali
Reviewed 10 February 2012

After staying inside the park at Grand California the last 2 times I'll admit I've been spoiled as far as location & cleanliness but since the price is so high I thought why not try another hotel this vacation? So I went to Tripadvisor & found how high this place was rated and thought why not? Well after staying there I will tell you why not. I found the hotel location entirely too far from the park & although they call it Maingate, it is too far to walk with children & not near ANY GATE! Upon check-in I was happy I brought my own bottle of Lysol to do my own cleaning in the room. Staying with another family, we rented the 2 Bedroom Penthouse, not recommended for 2 families! The bedrooms are extremely small & the upstairs room is quite dangerous for young children as the bed looks over the loft. Also the sound travels so if your sleeping upstairs & there are people in the living area, you are not sleeping...due to the noise. The front desk was not helpful the 3 times I went in with questions & the staff seemed to be too young to care. The entire suite was outdated, old & very dirty, but I will say the grounds outside were nice and quiet. I realize the rate was extremely good in comparison to many other hotels but you know the good old saying...you get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank NkNik75
Kimberly R, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear NkNik75,

I want to begin by thanking you for your honest feedback. One reason we love TripAdvisor is because it allows the guest to express their familiarity with our hotel. With that being said, I would like to take this time to address the topics you have brought up about our hotel:

1. Distance: Being that we are exactly 0.5 miles away from Disneyland the short walk can be relative for different guests. We are the closest Residence Inn to Disney which is why we are titled Maingate. For any TripAdvisors wondering about our proximity I would be more than happy to send area maps so there is a better understanding of our distance.

2. Penthouse Suite: Our Penthouse Suites are one of the biggest suites on property. Average hotel rooms are about 450 sq ft. where our Penthouses are 700 sq ft. so there is generally always plenty of room. For travelers with young kids I like to suggest baby gates (provided upon request) because of the upstairs loft area. I personally like the Two Bedroom Suite for parents with children because it also gives you a bit more privacy.

3. Interior: My team always works proactively to maintain the quality of our suites. In fact, our engineering team goes through vacant rooms daily to work on preventative maintenance. We understand the importance of meeting the demands of our guests.

4. The Staff: I am sorry that your experience was not up to our standards. As you can see by other TripAdvisor reviews, our staff is one of the main reasons why they return so there should be no exceptions. Our weekly Marriott quality assurance scores show that our staff has an above average rating; I will make sure my staff is reminded of this as it should be applied to all guests.

The information provided is to be able to give a better understanding. However, I invite you to contact me in regards to any other comments you would like to make at (714)782-0047 or krosales@rimhospitality.com.