“A comparison between DoubleTree and Embassy Suites”

Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel Anaheim Resort - Convention Center
Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We just stayed at this hotel for our first trip to Disneyland with my 2 and 5.5 year old. We are die-hard Embassy Suite fans, but for a change, we decided to give Doubletree a try for this vacation. I have been pretty happy with this hotel so far. There are pros and cons to the two, and it's a matter of preference, but just to help other people who are choosing between the two, here's a detailed comparison.

- The Doubletree tries to appeal to both corporate clients and families. The lobby is grand, spacious and beautiful, but the aesthetic of it, and of the rooms in general, caters to the business traveler. There is no beautiful atrium with koi fish, waterfalls, glass elevators or an arcade downstairs. My son's first reaction was "I like the other hotel better because it has a waterfall and cool elevators." There is an arcade but it's the size of a small bathroom and located on the second floor. In general, it just doesn't have as much of a family-friendly feel. The nice thing about that is you don't hear kids screaming, and tearing through the place like you sometimes do from your room at Embassy.

- There are no cook-to-order omelettes for breakfast, and the selection is a little more limited. However, I will say that what they do offer is of a higher quality. Where at Embassy the cooked foods were kind of average, we found the scrambled eggs fluffier, the bacon crisper, the breads fresher, there were two kinds of yogurts (Greek and Vanilla Greek) and then one "special" that changed every morning from Mexican Frittata to Breakfast Quesadillas. I have to say I liked it better. Nothing tasted frozen if you know what I mean and they offered plenty for picky toddlers. Kind of a "quality versus quantity" decision.

-The ART shuttle from here SUCKED. Yes, the journey is about 5 min, but the thing runs every 25-30min. Yes, they have a number you can text for the next bus, but it isn't always accurate and when I asked the bus driver about it, he flat out laughed. This hotel is way too far to walk with young kids. We tried the ART shuttle one day, and then drove to the Disney lot for the rest of the trip. Another tip is you could feasibly walk to the Disney parking lot which is a long two blocks away and just take the Disney shuttles that go back and forth there. Those are open even to people who don't park. Those shuttles are awesome and run every 1-2 minutes. That seems to be the way to go, and I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned that here.

-The layout of the suites at Doubletree isn't as great as Embassy. They are smaller, they don't have a dining area or kitchen area, so you just have a nice granite desk with two chairs to eat on, and you do your dishes in the kitchen sink. We ended up eating on the floor around the coffee table. There is a microwave and fridge in a small cabinet under the TV, but it's less spacious then the nice kitchenette you get with Embassy. The noise is an issue with the suites having two doors, my daughter would hear us in the living area and cry. Embassy has their bedrooms all the way in the back so there was never an issue with noise. Layout-wise, I think Embassy wins.

The cookies are delicious here, the beds are indeed comfortable (by the way, they do two Queen beds here vs. two Doubles at Embassy, something to think about now that they don't do rollaways), and the customer service is a lot better. We did have some housekeeping issues but they were minor and dealt with promptly. At first I missed our room opening up to that atrium so my kids could watch the elevators while we got our things together just before leaving, but after a while, I got over it. The quiet was worth it.

I would stay here again, but not before I tried out other hotel options closer to the park.

5  Thank Chia2674
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Stayed here as a base for Disney, had a 2 Queen suite, great for families, Disney $6 in a cab, orange county outlet $11, great clean hotel, nice rooms, views of fireworks if requested, laundry facilities, would recommend for a family, especially after those long days at the park, staff were lovely and very helpful, buffet breakfast was included, if you get a good deal, would highly recommend, even if you are only there to sleep! Free wifi Hilton honors

Room Tip: Get a suite if traveling as a family, you will enjoy
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank fantab
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Room was great with a very comfortable bed. Bathroom was clean and shower tub was great for my family, which includes a 2 yo. Parking was available after long nights at the park. The downstairs cafe was just as good as Starbucks for a pre-park espresso drink. Free ATT wifi (or included with resort fee, not sure) that was easy to log into and fast. Hotel guest services were great and fast to respond.

Target was the next block over for last minute necessities, as well as a carl's jr that was open late (if not 24hrs).

We parked at the Toy Story lot less than two blocks away. The shuttle buses from that lot to the park are big transit buses, great for transporting strollers (still have to fold them) but roomier, faster and easier to load in and out of compared to the trams utilized by the DL parking garages. They load super fast at night and zero lines. You will encounter some lines in the AM but the buses come non-stop so it's little more than a 5-7 minute wait. You could walk to the park in 15 minutes as an alternative. The hotel offers a shuttle pass but we didn't utilize it.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank gertrudeam
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This property is clean, beautiful and tastefully appointed, a welcome relief after a series of down-at-heel hotels in the area. The photographs actually don't do it justice! While appropriate for families, it's still a lovely spot for a romantic weekend. We were visiting family in Orange, not Disneyland, but we still chose this hotel because we can depend on a good experience from big, QUIET rooms to competent staff to a really excellent breakfast. While I'm not crazy about the parking charge, I can't think of anything else that I don't like about this hotel. I'm done trying to find someplace decent in Orange, I'm sticking with this DoubleTree!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator or higher up, the lift is busy late into the night.
4  Thank loflash
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Wonderful hotel, from the beautiful lobby to the large suites.

We stayed here while visiting DisneyLand and loved this hotel. There was a shuttle which took at most 5 minutes to get to Disney right at the hotel driveway, which was easy. My kids enjoyed the hot tub and we ate breakfast at the resaturant which was great. There were 2 flat screen tv's which always helps to divide up the kids and the room had plenty of space. If you don't like to add more walking to your vacation ask for a room near the elevator.

Tip- We went to Disneyland on a monday and we heard it is their busiest day of the week, ugh. They said Sunday and Tuesday are the least busy, wish I had done my homework better, it was mobed.

2  Thank BamaBoysMom