New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Americas Best Value Astoria Inn and Suites

Americas Best Value Astoria Inn and Suites
Ranked #77 of 117 Hotels in Anaheim
Andover, Massachusetts
“Overall good stay - just what we needed it to be!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

Although we were quite nervous about staying at this hotel based on the reviews of others on this and other websites, it turned out to be fine for what we paid for.

We stayed here for one night in early November 2010 after staying for a week at a timeshare in San Diego prior to staying at a hotel in downtown LA for a conference. We planned to visit Disneyland for two days and wanted to be close enough that we wouldn't have a long drive ahead of us after visiting the parks all day. We left the park midday to check in and went with the mindset that if it was too horrible we would find another room somewhere else instead. When we checked in we were pleasantly surprised! As many others have mentioned, you are not going to be staying at the Ritz. However, for $35 a night, we weren't expecting the Ritz.

Our room had 2 queens as we had requested (which was not guaranteed at the time we made the reservation). The bathroom was nothing special, but the shower had FABULOUS water pressure and very good temperature control. There were three of us in the room and we all showered in the morning - the hot water lasted for all three showers. There is a sink and counter area outside of the bathroom which was good because it meant that more than one person could get ready to go simultaneously. The bathroom and sink area both seemed perfectly clean and we had no complaints.

As has already been mentioned in another review, the room was somewhat dark. When we first arrived there were no lights on and the shades were pulled closed. We turned on the lights and left the shade drawn because we did not want the sun beating down on us heating up the room, and there was ample light - but it was by no means overly bright. The air conditioner seemed to work well when we first turned it on, but in the middle of the night we could hear it working but did not feel very cool. It appeared to be an older-style unit and it just might be time for them to be updated.

Also, the beds probably could use some updating. I obviously have no idea how new or old they are, but they are the hardest bed I have ever slept on. My father, who thoroughly enjoys a very hard bed, even said that this bed was a little bit too hard. (I will also say though that the comforter on the bed was probably one of the best that I have ever found in a hotel/resort!!!)

Because our stay was so short, we did not utilize the pool/hot tub, internet access, fridge/microwave or continental breakfast. The hotel is down the street from many fast food restaurants that were quick for us to stop at on the way to the park. To get from the hotel to the Disneyland parking lots (we were directed to the parking lots instead of the large parking structure by Disneyland workers/signs) there was one turn onto the main street where Disneyland is and then a second turn into the lot! It was that easy. We returned to the hotel after midnight and did not have trouble finding a parking space.

So - overall, we would choose to stay here again, but might ask for some extra pillows to help soften the blow of the mattress. To us, that was really the only downfall that we encountered during our stay. All in all, the proximity to the park is without a doubt this hotel's biggest selling point.

• Stayed November 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jln224
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Elizabeth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

This is the worst hotel I have ever had the displeasure of staying in.
The beds were hard as a rock and creaked like a rusty old ship. The AC clunks when it cycles off shaking the whole wall. It woke me up 3 times. The bed was so hard I had to go to an 24 hr store at 2 a.m. and buy an air mattress and a fan to cool the room as the AC was too loud to use.
The wall covering by the sink was peeling off in a big 12 inch section. The shower was completely unsafe as the temperature changed constantly from comfortable to scalding to tepid. My daughter got a burn on her head from one of these temperature changes. When I complained to the front desk they had the nerve to lie and say the mattresses were all brand new. Brand new mattresses do no creak like an old ship. They neglected to tell us about the breakfast and so we missed it but they did fork over some left over doughnuts and danishes and some orange drink, it didn't taste like real orange juice.

When I complained to the corporate office they informed me they have a proceedure to follow which included talking to the hotel manager. No compensation was offered or hinted at, merely a "We'll look into it" attitude. So far, a week later, I have heard nothing.
It's really a shame because after a full day at Disneyland you look forward to a comfortable rest at the end of the day. I will never use this line of hotels again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank sg1junkie
Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2010

We stayed with Astoria Inn for seven nights and was not only impressed with the price of the three queen room but the staff was great as well. Our maid was the BEST ever. She went out of her way to make sure all was clean, beds made, and the personal items not disturbed. We really missed her when we checked into our Las Vegas hotel!! The front desk staff was very accommodating and answered all questions we posed. The pool was a bit chilly but the kids still enjoyed it, the hot tub was the perfect temperature and right size for six people to enjoy after a long day at the park. While we could have walked to Disney, we chose to drive or use the shuttle as we planned to come back during the day to eat and relax. The walk over the freeway would have been a bit much after dark for our youngest. The hotel is older, it is rated at two stars and we were still happy with the accommodations overall. I read other reviews and looked at their pictures - yes I did see the "grime" and what they mentioned (but if I look hard enough I find that in my own home as well) but with the constant moisture in the bathrooms & foot traffic on the floors it is par for the course. We enjoyed the main floor especially when there was no one staying above us, but guess every hotel needs to make money! For the price and location we will be back again for our next visit to Disneyland area.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Sask.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2009

I stayed at this Inn for 10 nights, and I am completely satisfied with the quality of the room, and the level of service received from the friendly staff. Our room was clean, stocked with lots of towels, a mini fridge, coffee maker with coffee gounds, tv...everything was great, it made our holiday that much better. There is a shuttle service from the front of the Inn to Disneyland for a lot less then the parking at Disney is...a all day shuttle pass for $4, shuttle runs apx. every 20 mins. The staff/owners were friendly, easy to deal with. I can't say enough as to how happy I am with our stay here.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
portland,oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2009

This was my second time there, it was only for a few days and I remembered it had cheap prices...what I didn't remember was that the carpet was filthy and that the beds were so old and uncomfortable we would have slept on the floor-but it was too dirty.They had made a few improvements since the last time we were there so there is always hope..The pool was cold but the hot tub was good and yes they had a very clean laundry room to use. Fridge and microwave were real nice and the room was large..so for those things--Yes--it was good. Don't go by what I say, try it for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed September 2009, travelled with family