“Upscale Korean BBQ Restaurant”

Gen Korean Bbq House
Ranked #7 of 241 Restaurants in Alhambra
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed 4 November 2016

Actually, we hadn't planned on eating at this restaurant. What happened was we had decided to have sea food on the pier at Redondo Beach. It was the long weekend of July 4th and we ate out a lot during that weekend. For non-American TB members, July 4th is the US Independence Day where celebrations are the order of the day in the whole of the United States.

Anyway, when we reached Redondo Beach, we were shocked to find out that the parking fee at the pier was $30 for that day. Talk about exploitation! So, that's how we ended up at Gen BBQ in the city of Alhambra. My daughter and son-in-law used to live there for a few years so they knew the area well.

We had to wait for 15-20 minutes to be seated as the restaurant was full. Again, I think it was because of the holiday weekend.

The character for GEN means "The beginning" and what a beginning! I cannot even begin to describe the quantity and quality of the meat we were served by the efficient staff. As it is an all you can eat place they were not stingy in bringing all kinds of plates filled with all kinds of good stuff. I should mention though that the Korean food I had in South Korea some years ago isn't anything like what we ate at this so called Korean restaurant. For one thing, we had to barbeque all the different types of meat ourselves. No worries though, my son-in-law enjoyed being the 'chef' and we all enjoyed enjoyed eating to our hearts content as the plates kept coming.

When we finally filled ourselves silly and getting ready to leave, I observed that there were still people in the waiting area. While I was in the restroom the check came and my daughter noticed that they had charged for only three, instead of the four of us. Apparently, they must have thought that that there were only 3 people as they didn't see me at the table. As the old saying goes, "Honesty is the best policy" and when they were told about the mistake, the manager came out in person and thanked us!

The cost was $21 per person (we were charged the dinner rate although it was lunchtime) which I thought was a bit unfair, but here again, since it was the BIG July 4th weekend I suppose every business establishment takes advantage. The normal rate is $16 for the lunch menu on weekdays and $21 for dinner.

GEN is a popular chain of restaurants. I was told they have branches all over Southern California and also in Nevada and Texas.

Date of visit: July 2016
2  Thank burmaboy
Write a reviewReviews (57)

Reviewed 17 October 2016 via mobile

Our first visit was at dinner time, it was very good. A week later we went back for lunch and the quality of the meat was really bad, it was tough with lots of fat.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 7 September 2016

We visited this location on a Sunday and I thought the lunch would be cheaper but I forgot it's weekend. We ended up paying the dinner price but we got to choose from the dinner menu also. Choice of meat was incredible. We liked the short ribs, spicy pork, premium steak, and calamari. The shrimp was not very good and we will skip that next time. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Date of visit: September 2016
1  Thank Theo H
Reviewed 25 August 2016

If you want to know whether a place is good, go there at about 6 pm and find the place almost full on a Tuesday night. I was amazed though I had already been tipped off by a Taiwanese American friend that the food was excellent. It is definitely value as you have 2 hours to sit there and order dishes by 4 to grill and enjoy yourself for $22/person. What better way to spend the evening?

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 13 August 2016

Dined here with a party of 8 and were treated like royalty! Excellent service throughout our 2-hour stay here. Amazingly fresh plates of meat kept coming at well-timed paces so we were always eating and enjoying ourselves. Great variety of marinated meat - beef, chicken, pork, calamari, etc. And always, our waiter replaced our grill without us asking for it. He took very good care of us! Highly recommended

Date of visit: August 2016