“My Home away from Home”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Sacramento
“My Home away from Home”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I have been staying at the Alameda Hawthorne every week for the past 9 months, and I can tell you that the experience is consistently excellent. The rooms are clean and updated, the beds are very comfortable, there is a separate sitting room with a 2nd TV, and the Microwave and Fridge come in very handy. The service is outstanding, the staff is polite and friendly, and the owner really cares about his guests. The is a hot breakfast daily and a nice complimentary dinner every Wednesday. The rooms have good insulation so you rarely hear the neighbors, and the Heat/AC unit is quiet. I give it my highest recommendation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I stayed at the extended stay in Alameda the night before, and check out of that hotel the next moring. I was not happy with the recent renovation of the Extended stay, mold in the bathtub / shower curtain.
I called Government SATO travel and asked them to find a hotel in the local Alameda, CA area that honored the local Government per diem rate. SATO recommended Hawthorn Suites, I cheched in that afternoon and was very happy withe the hotel, and the staff was great, the room was clean, and a great value for the price.

I will stay at this hotel on my next governmnet trip to Oakland, CA.

Room Tip: away from the road, on the parking lot side
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
HawthornAlamedaCA, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am happy that you were able to find a home in Alameda while you were here on business. As a strong supporter of our military, it always puts a smile on my face to know we were able to help you and provide a service to you during your stay.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 March 2012

we have stayed at this hotel several times. On our most recent stay everthing was ok until I received my bill. They added an additional $100 to our bill. When I called to ask why, I was told that we smoked in our non-smoking room. I told them that we had not smoked and I was told that the cleaning person had reported that there was a smell of smoke in our room. I explained over and over that this was not true and they told me that all could do was to contact my credit card company. We will never stay there again and I will write the $100 off to charity, in the hotel's name.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joyce_P60713
HawthornAlamedaCA, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Guest contacted hotel well over a month after the charge to their card. Hotel inspects rooms before guests check in after the rooms are cleaned, and after a guest checks out before they are cleaned again. Guest was told that both hotel and housekeeping manager inspected room and that both smelled a strong odor that indicated someone smoked in the guest room. Because we are a non smoking hotel, any evidence of smoke is very noticeable.
Milpitas, California
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This was my first time staying at a Hawthorn Suites so i didn't know what to expect. The room was nice, clean, quiet, furnished with coffee pot, microwave and refrigerator. Only compliants were minor and did not distract from the overall experience. Desk clerk on checkin did not seem to know much about Alameda and what was there (Did not know the Alameda theater was a restored historic theater), Spa room has nothing but a few hooks, the spa and a basket with towels, no chairs, tables or place to put anything, would be nice to have a table or a place to sit. Tile at the top of the spa on the wall side needed cleanig. Upon checkout no one at front desk, two employees walked by and did not say anything, finally I asked one of them on her third trip by, did she know where the desk clerk was, she replied in the bathroom. I was told they were housekeeping staff, not front of the house staff, but it would have been nice if one had said, "someone will be with you in a moment or something"
I was impressed with the breakfast, good selection.
Good hotel just needs a little attention to detail to get 5 stars.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I agree that our staff should provide better knowledge of the area for our guests when they stay. I also agree that our staff should acknowledge when a guest needs help, no matter the circumstances. I will be holding two meetings for our housekeeping and front desk staff. I will pass these comments on and reinforce our customer service training and see what I can do to tie up these loose ends for you.
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed here over the presidents day weekend, and it would have been perfect had the bay bridge not been closed. Due to the closure it took us quite a bit longer to get to the wharf, but who could have known? The hotel staff was very nice and it is a great value for the money. The rooms are clean. The breakfast was slightly lacking unless you like all microwaveable breakfast items (yes, including the premade eggs). You can make yourself a waffle though, and they did have cereal and toast and yogurt. The area is nice and quiet, and we definitely felt safe. There are several fast food restaurants including a subway right across the street. The free Internet connection is slightly slow but it did work. The rooms aren't huge, but the suite definitely accommodated our family of 5 plus an infant. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012
Thank you so much for your response. You will be happy to know that we are currently working on the issue with the slower internet. We had an equipment failure and should have everything fixed by the end of this week. I am glad that you felt safe and we hope to see you soon! Especially since there don't seem to be any Bay Bridge closures scheduled any time soon. :)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
6.5 km away
2.9 km away
Oakland Marriott City Center
2.5 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK