“Ridiculous policy”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Auburn
St. Louis, MO
“Ridiculous policy”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I called to book an appointment for our college visit, but the minimum stay for that date was THREE nights, so sorry. When I asked for a recommended hotel nearby (we are out of state and have no clue), agent said their company's policy is NOT to recommend other hotels. Wow, so helpful!

Maybe we don't want to go to school here after all.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank janvier01
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Alabama
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I just came back from my third time staying at the Hotel at Auburn University and once again it was a wonderful experience. All three times I was there for a large conference that included meetings and banquets at the hotel. The king room we had was very nice, with a comfortable bed and furniture, my only complaint would be that the bathroom was small. Every staff member we encountered spoke to us in a friendly and pleasant manner.

The meeting room and auditorium were adequate for our purposes. The banquet meals were better than what I have experienced at other country clubs and hotels, and the service was attentive.

We ate one meal at the Ariccia Restaurant in the hotel one night which happened to be the night of their pasta bar. The salad, pasta, and desert was excellent, as was the serving staff.

We had a small problem with our bill, but it was taken care of so pleasantly and efficiently that it really was a non-issue.

The people in our group that plan this conference always say that they check into other places all over the state of Alabama, and can never find anything to compare to the Hotel at Auburn!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank carbonpaper
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a conference and was appalled at the treatment we received. I was staying there for a leadership conference, with 15 other students as well as our advisor. None of us are rowdy, and are all adults and are respectful, however we were treated like children. When we would walk down the hall we would be reprimanded for being too loud, even though we were having personal, one-on-one conversations. We were not allowed to go in to each other's rooms just to have a discussion. In fact, when we tried to meet in our President's room with our for a quick meeting, we were told that not more than the designated amount of people were allowed in the room, that this was our first warning and that if we continued to stay in the room that the police would be called to escort us off of the property, even though we had barely said two words to each other at that point. This disgusting treatment was not only inflicted on myself and my school, but on many of the other universities staying on the property. I work for a hotel, and we have had conferences of teenagers stay in the hotel; however, we would never treat them like this, as if they had absolutely no self control and needed to be constantly monitored and threatened. I am absolutely DISGUSTED at the treatment we received, and would never recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Auburn area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank E S
Auburn-Hotelier, General Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Madam?Sir,

I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with your recent stay at The Hotel at Auburn University. I have shared your feedback with our team. I want to insure that we provide an outstanding experience for all guests and when multiple noise complaints are received from our hotel guests that we still respond in a strict but cordial manner.

SIncerely,

USA
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Cheap plastic "glasses". Yeah, the first thing I mention about this otherwise very nice hotel is the out-of-character cheap plastic "glasses" they put in the guest rooms. Anyway, this is undisputedly the best hotel in Auburn. It is also the most expensive, but that's to be expected. The location is ideal: directly across from campus, two blocks from the center of town and withing walking distance of just about anything you would come to Auburn for. The interiors, both the public areas and guest rooms, are beautifully done and will remind you of the original Ritz-Carltons. One flaw is the heating/ac in the rooms: some idiot decided to save a thousand bucks a room in the original design and opted for through-the-wall ac units (as found in budget motels), with the result being a noisy, inefficient heating/cooling system that the hotel can never correct. Many of the front line employees are Auburn students so the service is enthusiastic if not perfectly polished. (Both the guest services directory and the chipper young woman who answered the guest services phone assured me that a Sunday newspaper would be delivered to my room. None ever arrived at my room or any other room on my floor. However, that was more than compensated for by the nice stack of complimentary Sunday New York Times at the restaurant entrance.) The restaurant, Ariccia, is Auburn's special occasion/visiting parents dining spot. The popular Sunday brunch is good but could really use more fresh fruit (only one fruit item was available, and that was in some type of mysterious white sauce) and stuff like bagels and English muffins. The servers are generous with the OJ and coffee but don't mention that both are an extra charge. Overall, this hotel is frankly the best place to stay in Auburn but, hey -- management: get rid of the cheap plastic "glasses"!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fberkeley
Auburn-Hotelier, General Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Madam, Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, our service and our staff. I truly appreciate your very positive feedback about our staff and will make sure to share this with our team. I also took note about your request about glass versus plastic cups. Based on recent publicity on glassware in hotel rooms, most guests prefer dispoable over glass but we can very easily provide this for you on your next stay and will be happy to do so.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel at Auburn University.

Verbena
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My son and I have stayed here for several years now when he attends the Auburn University honor bands. The rooms are clean, comfortable, spacious enough, and accommodating. The bathroom has all we need. It is convenient to campus where he can be dropped off at the music building and I return to the hotel and can pretty much walk anywhere I want. The restaurant is great - a little expensive for a teacher's budget - but, wouldn't change it - the bar is nice for sitting and relaxing and hearing some great music. My son will start at Auburn University in the fall and my husband and I intend to stay here when we come to visit our son.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Ms. Donna V,

Thank you so much for your kind review about your stay in our hotel for the Honor Band event. I look forward to welcoming you back to Auburn and to The Hotel at Auburn University for the next 4 years as your son goes to school here at Auburn.

War Eagle!