All reviewsan extended stay hotelfront deskone nightquiet at nighta great place to stayqueen bedquiet locationlobby areathe entire staffpleasant staywould stay here againwalking distancewalmartmicrowavetargetfloridacollege
Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

Front desk was very friendly and helpful,housekeeper was very courteous and helpful and rooms were very neat will recommend to family and friends and we look forward to staying there again parking lot was well lit and every one was helpful

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
EadesTE, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Alabaster, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2017

We are so happy you enjoyed your visit with us. Our staff liked you nice comments regarding your stay. Word of mouth goes a long way and we look forward to accommodating your friends and family. We hope you have a fabulous weekend and we look forward to seeing you next time. Again, thanks so much.

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

When we checked in we were informed there was a $75 non-refundable pet fee that was not disclosed at booking, we only stay in these hotels as we are rewards member. The highest pet fee we have paid was $25, when we asked about this high amount all we got from desk clerk was "I don't make up the rules!" She did not care one bit about our question. The parking is ridiculous, they have construction people who should park in the empty lot across the street. The room we were in was so run down, bedroom door had a huge crack in it, iron and ironing board was old and broken, we found black hairs in both beds, everything in bathroom was rusted. The kitchen corners had food crumbs in them, floor was sticky. The was barely any silverware in the drawers. front desk said our ice maker would produce ice in 20 minutes, there were maybe 10 pieces after 12 hours. When we went down for coffee in the morning there was no sugar, we asked the desk clerk if there was some more she shrugged her shoulders and said "I don't know" then went back to talking to her buddy. This was the attitude of staff the entire stay. We asked for a nonsmoking room however we were on a floor with smokers so when we walked in the halls it was very strong and our room smelled of smoke. For the price we were charged and the pet fee you would expect better service and nicer rooms. The general manager did respond to our survey however as I have seen on here all she does is make excuses and never makes things right. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone but maybe construction workers. Don't waste your money or energy on this place.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank thejohnsons1217
EadesTE, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Alabaster, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

Dear Johnsons,

We thank you for staying with us and letting us know about your concerns. We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It is very important to us that our guests enjoy their stay. We apologize once again for the pet fee, for it is necessary to sanitize the guest room for the next arrival. Our property is going through a renovation to upgrade our property to better serve our guests. We take your comments very seriously and have taken actions for correction. We hope you will give us an opportunity to be of service.

Reviewed 2 June 2017

We chose this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. We were here to see a family member in hospice care, and we drove and brought our dog with us. This was literally the only decent hotel in the entire Birmingham suburban area that allowed dogs, so it's not like we had many choices. This was our first stay in a Candlewood Suites. Front desk staff were polite, and we were given a room at the far end of the hallway on the first floor, by request. Room was kind of smallish for a "suite". A queen bed, one not-very-comfortable leather-ish chair, desk with two chairs that could double for a dining table, and a kitchen with full size fridge, microwave, stovetop, and dishwasher. Bathroom was adequate. Decor was pretty basic - looked early 2000's design (granite counters, etc.). On-site laundry facilities were very convenient. Room was clean. It was quiet at night, but there were some large families staying in rooms down the hallway who tended to congregate outside their rooms and talk during the day.

We were able to take our dog out through the side hallway door, but then side door key card was not working, and was not repaired during our stay, despite two making two requests to have it fixed. So we had to walk her around through the front door each time we took her out.

There is no breakfast room or breakfast, which was a disappointment; my husband had to do a Panera Bread run each morning. There are restaurants nearby, but not really walking distance. And they are all chains, so if you are looking for something unique or with local charm, forget it. We are vegetarians, so dining was extra-challenging in this non-vegetarian-friendly region. We ended up getting Olive Garden take-out both nights.

This is one of the nicer areas of Birmingham's southern suburbs, and there are some beautiful, hilly , treed neighborhoods nearby with very nice homes. The hotel itself sits on a hilltop next to another hotel, and there are probably nice views of the surrounding hills from the upper floors (we were on the first floor). There are major shopping areas nearby - newer-looking strip malls with Target, Walmart, etc. , but nothing more than basic-type stuff. The hotel is easy to get to from I-65, but Google Maps took us on a backroad route coming south that was pretty, but really was not necessary or faster than taking the freeway, even with freeway traffic.

We would stay here again, mostly because there is nothing better nearby. The Holiday Inn Express next door looks newer/nicer, but they do not take dogs.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably have nice views, since the hotel sits on a hilltop.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family

Wow, what a nice review. Your kind words are refreshing and our staff is thrilled that we made your stay pleasant. This is what we strive for daily in offering great accommodations and we are glad to have plenty of things to do in our area. We apologize for not offering breakfast, Candlewood Suites is extended stay and designed with kitchens. Thank you so much for choosing us and we can't wait to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

After charging me three times for my room, and springing a $75 non-refundable pet fee, when I was not informed of the fee when making my reservation, I was able to stay in a room with no cold water (tepid at best and hot, but no cold) and an air conditioner that sounded like a playing card was pinned to the blower cage. If it had not been so late, and I so tired, I would have asked for another room. Parking was limited and I was lucky to get a spot. I was told that after turning on the ice maker in the room, I would have ice in 20 minutes. There was two ice cubes in the bucket when I awoke in the morning.
On the up side, the room was secure, clean, and well appointed. When I checked out I informed the desk of the deficiencies I observed, and all I got was a "Thank you." The extra charges were finally reversed, but why should someone have to go through this on vacation? I will never stay at this property again.

Stayed: May 2017
Costel H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Alabaster, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2017

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We strive to make sure our guests are completely satisfied with their stay and use your comments to ensure that corrections are made to prevent this in the future. It was our pleasure to refund your charges because our guests are important to us. We hope your will give us another opportunity to show how much we care and value your business. Have a wonderful week.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

A pleasant stay. We stopped here overnight on our way to New Orleans. Didn’t have an opportunity to enjoy all the amenities, but the room was pleasant, quiet and they have free fresh coffee 24/7 in the lobby area.

I am a frequent business traveler and I can see myself enjoying an extended stay here if I am ever in the area for business, especially with the kitchen in the room.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Costel H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Alabaster, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Thank you for staying with us on your way to New Orleans. We are glad you enjoyed our accommodations. Hopefully next time you can stay longer or stay with us while on business. Hope to see you again soon!