“Responsive hotel staff, obnoxious CPAC guests”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Last weekend I stayed at the Omni Shoreham for a professional meeting associated with some work funded by a federal grant. Arriving to my hotel at 11 p.m. I expected to have a short but good nights sleep before my early morning meetings began. Instead I listened to a drunk party of young "interns" in DC for the meeting of the Conservative Political Action Committee (C-PAC) who partied between 4 rooms and the hallway until I called house security at 3 a.m. When I returned to my hotel the next evening again at 11 p.m. the CPAC people were just starting their hotel hallway party for the second night. The Omni staff were very responsive and immediately offered to move us to a room where they did not think there had been parties the night before. We heard that several of the floors had been "overtaken" by CPAC parties, with people shouting, slamming doors, and drinking through the night. There were many tired people at my meetings both days because of this disturbance. The hotel might have considered canceling their reservation and asking them to find another hotel, but I do appreciate their responsiveness. I feel sorry for the other guests that didn't ask to be moved.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor on the north side, where the street noise and arrival and departure of guests...
1  Thank chefseye
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and our staff but we do apologize for the disruption from some of our guests. Based on comments such as yours we are already in discussions on how to handle things differently next year including additional security and restrictions. Thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed 16 February 2012

I stayed one night in Feb for work, and this hotel blew so many others out of the water! The lobby is gorgeous and large; so many places to sit and relax with friends or colleagues. The restaurant is beautiful and service was good. Concierge and front desk staff very helpful and friendly. The hotel has a real historic feel to it, but it is so large and well-lit, it just feels like a "castle". The room was great: quiet and large, big closet and classic decor. My only negatives are: no coffee/tea maker in the room (but I don't drink coffee, so I didn't care) and the bathroom window was drafty. It was closed, but a draft was coming through somewhere so the bathroom was freezing cold (Feb night air). I just closed the door to the bathroom and the bedroom stayed warm all night. I can't say anything about the comfort of the bed; I'm pregnant so no bed is comfortable for me right now! There's also LOTS of great restaurants on the next block over, in a range of prices for all budgets. I will totally stay here again!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your complimentary review of The Omni Shoreham Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 15 February 2012

If you are looking for a Morgans Group hotel or W style hotel, this is not it. Its an older hotel which is beautifully decorated inside and the rooms are HUGE! The staff was excellent! We only wished we had stayed more than one nite! The parking is ridiculously priced but I think that is a general DC hotel deal so you cant get away from that. Its right near a cute park that you can drive through...sorry cant remember the name off hand. There is an AMAZING diner / restaurant across the street. We loved the entire experience! Oh one more thing, you really need a car to get around the area from the hotel. That is its only downfall!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

We are glad you enjoyed your night at The Omni Shoreham Hotel. If you return, we'd be happy to help you with ways to explore the city without a car. The metro is just steps from the hotel and there is a trolley stop right outside our entrance. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope you will be our guest again in the future.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

but it does have a spectacular, opulent lobby. Too bad the rooms aren't in the same league. My room was on the small side, and was in need of renovation to bring it out of the 60's.

My wife and I always brew our own french press coffee in our rooms. This hotel could/would not provide her with an electric kettle, so I brought our travel kettle from home.

We didn't eat at the hotel, so I can't say anything about that experience. Also it seemed to be a long cab ride from anywhere we went.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your remarks regarding your recent stay at The Omni Shoreham Hotel. We are disappointed to read that you weren't impressed with your recent experience but appreciate all of your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope for a future opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

I always stay at the Omni every January when I visit DC for the TRB Annual Meeting. This hotel is much much nicer than the Marriott Wardman Park or the Hilton. The rooms are significantly bigger and much more comfortable. Most rooms have a real nice sitting/work area with a second TV. Being a preferred member, we get free coffee/tea/juice, morning paper and free internet (cant complain at all!). The staff are very polite and helpful. The hotel has a really nice pool and gym. Highly recommend this hotel when travelling for a conference.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your recommendation of The Omni Shoreham and for choosing us as your home base each year during TRB. It has been our pleasure to host you and your group over the years and we look forward to your return.