All reviews rooftop pool premier spa suite front desk pool closes wine hour logan circle huge tv executive king whole foods body wash great boutique lots of great restaurants special thanks boutique hotel city view bars and restaurants hotel bar
Reviewed 29 October 2017

As I was leaving, I thought perhaps there was a psychic valet on staff because my car was waiting for me in the driveway before I even handed in my ticket. Nope, the valet, Milion, saw me walking up and remembering what I looked like, took the initiative to get my car. It was very impressive and shows a high level of personalized service.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
DontePJohnson, General Manager at Kimpton Mason & Rook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Thanks so much for the review! We really appreciate it. Million is the best. It's so great to hear that he was on it. He's truly such a caring person. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2017

I've stayed at this hotel three times and have been happy with it in the past, but this time the room I was given felt neglected and shabby. The service was not up to par. One example: there was no coffee machine in the room when I checked in, and when they brought one after my requesting it, they didn't bring any coffee with it (that took another phone call). Then that night, when I got back to the hotel at nearly midnight, dead tired after sixteen hours of meetings, I saw that the coffee and cups had not been replenished during the day, so I had to call down again to ask for coffee (my morning was to start bright and early for another packed day of meetings), and I waited almost half and hour before it arrived. That just doesn't seem ... ok. And then there was no hot water in the bathroom sink, the receptionist was indifferent to the point of rudeness when I checked in, the buttons on the telephone didn't work so I called the front desk on an outside line by cellphone (and when I explained this to the front desk, suggesting they might want to fix the phone, whoever I was talking to said "well, you're talking to me now, right?"), the pillows smelled vaguely of cigarette smoke, etc. I'm going to give this place one more chance on my next trip to DC because it's been a good value and I quite like the neighborhood, but if things are not better the next time I'm not going to stay there again.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Oh no. I'm so sorry about this. There's a lot to unpack here. We'll review this as a team and get things back on track for your next stay. Looking forward to having you back.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed one night at Kimpton Mason & Rook for business and had our kids with us. From the minute we arrived the staff was super friendly. I was amazed how everyone from the front desk staff to valet team was over the top helpful. They were so great with our kids and immediately took our toddler to a toy chest in the lobby to pick out a little toy when we arrived. They were beyond friendly and helpful! The room was nice and very clean. Beds were also very comfortable. Giant TVs in the room which my son loved to watch a cartoon on. Also in such a great location. Whole Foods and restaraunt were one block away. I wish we had more time to stay!

Trip type: Travelled on business

Thanks for the review! Nothing beats the treasure chest. There's so much fun stuff in there. It's great to hear that the team took such good care of you. We hope to see you all again soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2017

I really like Kimptons. Mason & Rook does not disappoint. First and importantly - I had two amazing night sleeps. Black out blinds are excellent, room (7th floor) remarkably quiet, bed and pillows may be the most comfortable of any hotel stay I've had recently. and yes, the vibe is cool and hip and the decor in the rooms is unique and very welcoming. I love this location - 14th street has so many great little restaurants on offer. The hotel is positioned really well for a nice walk to the Dupont Circle area as well. I didn't need a lot of assistance from staff, but I will say the doormen are great. and the things I requested (e.g. bluetooth speaker and coffee maker) came as soon as I requested them. Thanks Kimpton! I've now stayed with 2 of your Chicago locations (Palomar), Boston and New York (Eventi) and I love them all!

• Trip type: Travelled on business

Thanks so much for the awesome review! So glad you got some rest and explored the neighborhood. I'll share your compliments with the team! Come see us again soon.

Reviewed 26 October 2017

This well-run hotel seems to aim their marketing towards the hipster generation. The music in the lobby and first floor hallway was a bit intrusive, as were the decibel levels in the restaurant.

I arrived early and my room was not ready. However, I received a text as soon as it was. My room was like an L-shaped studio apartment: very spacious and nicely furnished including a large desk, sofa, an anteroom with safe and a bathroom that could fit a bath along with its present large shower stall.

There was not a weak link amongst the staff: they were all gracious, helpful, and genuinely wanted to make the stay a good one. The ones that I dealt with most were Ava, Caitlin, and Michael who were exemplary employees. I even received an occasional text from the front desk to ask if I needed anything.

I found there to be a few problematic areas. Firstly, the elevators sometimes had a queue and a significant wait, as they were slow (there are two elevators to service 200 rooms). Perhaps if they were configured to service specific floors (even and odd; or floors 1-5 and 6-10) they would work more efficiently. Secondly, rooms facing the ally where the outdoor restaurant was located were noisy. Music (the bass sounds permeated the double paned windows) and conversation filtered into my room (I was on an upper floor): as well as an occasional barking dog. For a quieter stay, I would suggest facing Rhode Island Avenue. Thirdly, while the location is great for the many restaurants on 14th Street, it is a significant walk to the Metro – taking about 15 minutes.

I do want to emphasize that the hotel is well run and staffed with very thoughtful people. I think my preference would be a venue that is lower key.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
DontePJohnson, General Manager at Kimpton Mason & Rook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Thanks for the review and the kind words about the team. I can't wait to share with them. Sorry about the patio. We'll be sure to be more mindful of the noise levels out there. Hope to see you again soon.