“Excellent sensitive service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent sensitive service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I recently had an excellent restful stay in this intimate serene hotel. I arrived exhausted and beginning to have a very bad cold. The staff was observant and processed my reservation with care and rapidity. I felt that all of the staff tried to anticipate your needs. This was very comforting. My room was just what the doctor ordered: spacious with everything I required close by. It was quiet and my buffet breakfast was very pleasing. Upon checkout, it was very busy with several clients having some immediate needs to get to their destinations. In many hotels staff can only focus on one client. I felt that the Manager under pressure to please handled every client with care and a can solve all problems attitude. My compliments to a great Manager Gwinn. I look forward to my next stay. Annette

Room Tip: All rooms appear to face quiet venues
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Annette H
GWUInnGM, General Manager at University Inn Washington DC, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Annette,

Thank you so much for your kind words. The team at The George Washington University Inn is dedicated to exceed guest expecations and I am very pleased to see that we accompished our goal during your stay.

We are very blessed to have a tenured staff with a great focus on the customer experience. I will be sure to pass along your post to the entire team and make sure they know what a positive impacy they had on your stay.

Thank you again for your post and for staying with us. I hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
The World - But based in US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

If you're looking at this review, you need a place in DC and have already discovered that nice places are not cheap. But the George Washington University Inn is reasonable.

Located three blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro, the GWUI may be what you're looking for. It was for us.

The room we had on the 7th floor was nice, clean and quiet. The furnishings were decent and comfortable with enough lighting located just where you would need it.

Beyond being just 5 minutes from the Metro stop, there are also some conveniences you might use during your stay. The GW Hospital has a decent cafeteria that's cheap and a Starbucks for those hankering more sophisticated morning coffee.

The staff at GWUI was always friendly and helpful. You won't spend much time in the tiny lobby, but you're staying there for a decent room and not to impress your entourage.

The attached restaurant is supposed to be a decent Italian eatery at night. During the morning it offers an uninspired, very basic breakfast buffet for $15. Save money by having breakfast in the cafeteria of the GWU Hospital. You'll overlook the Styrofoam plates when they total your bill.

A close by Whole Foods offers a sterling selection of everything you'll want at their usual platinum pricing. There are other restaurants and at least one bar close by.

I do have a few critical comments about the inn. Wi-Fi is very limited. No streaming is permitted, probably due to an underwhelming connectivity infrastructure. The staff says that they are aware of the problem and hoping to upgrade in the future. The way it is now is okay for email and a few simple page views. There was a network cable that I didn't have a chance to use since I was traveling without a laptop. It seems to me that high speed Wifi should be standard everywhere by now, and I downgrade them for not having one.

Faucet controls are a bit twitchy, but hold constant once the temperature is set. Nice showers with larger than average tubs. The old tubs have been nicely redone, lots of tile and shiny clean caulking and grout.

These rooms used to be apartments, so they're roomy, but there's an odd room between main space and the bathroom that has just the coffee maker and a small refrigerator.

I would have liked an extra towel bar or couple hooks, but there's adequate space for toiletries. I'm being a bit picky here, because this is really nice for the price in DC.

If you're lucky or ask for it, you might get a room facing the Watergate Hotel and the Kennedy Center.
Those who need to park, plan on a $30 nightly charge.

Bottom line is that I would be happy to stay here again and I would recommend it to my friends who were price conscious but still wanted something as nice as home.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Aragorn The Traveler
Dear Aragorn,

Thank you for the kind words in your post regarding the GWU Inn. I am so glad that the interaction with the team was so positive an dthat you found our location comfortable and covenient.

I did want to let you know that we recently increased our bandwidth significantly at the hotel. This has eneabled better connection speeds for a greater amount of users. We have experienced far better response from our guests since this change.

I also wanted to let you know that we do have many other physical changes coming up over the next several months to enhance the guest room, lobby and other amenities.

Thank you again for taking the time to submit your post. I hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

With demand high, hotel rooms in the capital come at a premium - so we were not expecting bargains! During our search for something affordable for a short stay in Washington DC the George Washington University Inn seemed one of the few that 'ticked all our boxes'. Snow in New York delayed our transfer flight so we arrived somewhat bleary-eyed after midnight into Ronald Reagan Airport. We were glad to discover that our hotel was just a short, inexpensive cab ride away. (It's also 3/4 stops on the Metro). On arrival we found we had been assigned a large well-furnished room and enjoyed a great night's sleep in the seriously comfortable bed. Next morning we discovered a busy Wholefoods Market less than five minutes walk from the hotel's front door. While we made Wholefoods our starting point each morning one would be spoiled for choice with so many good eateries (both sit down and takeaway) in the area. While our exploration of DC usually started at the subway (the station is a minute's walk from the hotel), fashionable Georgetown is just a shade over 10 minutes walk in the opposite direction. Town planners, take a bow - the place has a great mixture of shops. Independent bookstores rub shoulders with High Street giants like Apple, Barnes & Noble et al. For eating in Georgetown try Martin's Tavern. We sat by the booth where JFK proposed to Jackie, they have a plaque on the wall that marks the spot. Georgetown was one of the recommendations of the Inn's helpful and friendly front-desk staff. Vernon and his colleagues also gave us pointers to museums, malls and outlets. To sum up: great location, helpful staff and all round good value.
We received a 20% discount by prepaying, check this out.

Room Tip: Our room had a small kitchenette which we found so useful. Perhaps all the rooms have these, I don...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank robnliz
Dear Robnliz,

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for your kind post regarding The George Washington University Inn. I know that the entire staff really appreciates it when they see that they have done a spectacular job and made a guest experience so nice. I was so pleased to read your comments about the neighborhood too. We are very fortunate to be positioned in a little oasis known as Foggy Bottom.

I will be certain to share your comments with the entire hotel team.

Thank you again.
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

I'd like to give this hotel 3 1/2 stars but couldn't really justify 4. This is a small, quiet hotel on the GWU campus. It's in a residential neighborhood. We didn't notice any shops/restaurants on this street, but the hotel does have a restaurant which we didn't try. We were upgraded to a King suite/efficiency. The size of the room was great. The kitchen area was quite nice and well equipped. The bed was comfortable and you had a choice of hard or soft pillows, which is always nice. What I didn't like was the bathroom. It was clean but in need of updating. I'm not normally picky about things like that but the floor of the tub was so old it was squishy. I don't know how else to describe it. The furnishings in general looked like they used to be quite nice but could use updating. A handle was missing on a bureau. But the staff was lovely and for us the location was ideal. With a little sprucing up this hotel would be a real gem. We got a great rate, but if I'd paid more I would have been disappointed.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank BookMe10
Dear Bookme 10,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of our property on Trip Advisor. It is always nice to read about the positive experiences guests have with our staff. I will be sure to communicate this to the team.

In response to your comments regarding the furnishings, I would like to let you know that the property is in the process of updating several features in the rooms over the next year. We have recently ordered new larger desks, appropriate, rolling leather desk chairs and new dinnette area chairs. We will be looking into enhancements for the bathrooms in the fall, to include fixtures, tub refurbishment, etc. We are very excitied about these changes. We will also be adding a fitness center and a new business center to the property this year also.

Thank you again for your post. Hopefully you will see some of these updates on your next stay.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Two blocks from the Kennedy Center, short walk to Georgetown and to the metro. The staff at the front desk very friendly and accommodating. The hotel needs updating but the room was large, comfortable and quiet. We stayed in a king suite which had a small kitchen area, plates, utensils, fridge. Exceptional for $79. There is a small restaurant on the first floor called Nottie Bianche. We ate dinner here. Delicious food, 3 course pre fixe menu for $32 pp. so good and the staff was very efficient. Getting us out in plenty of time to get to the Kennedy Center. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012