“Great dumplings!”
Review of Dumplings & Beyond

Dumplings & Beyond
Ranked #496 of 3,664 Restaurants in Washington DC
Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

Price for 10 dumplings (huge) is around $11.

Place is crowded, service is good, dumplings were very nice!

Reviewed 7 March 2017

Wonderful delectable Chinese dumplings! Seemed to be a variety of both southern Chinese (Guangzhou) and northern Beijing style dumplings. Not so much Shanghai soup dumplings. All tasty and well prepared. Thin silky wrappers, flavorful (traditional) fillings.

Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

Place was nearly empty
Took 15 minutes to be seated as waiter cleared and wiped down 6 or 7 tables before seating us
Another 10 minutes to get water
Dumplings were very average
Then another 10 minutes with no water
They could have cared less if we were there or not

Reviewed 4 March 2017

Why can't I have a dumpling restaurant like this where I live? It's unfair. Soft chewy orbs of deliciousness. Fish and cilantro dumplings were to our surprise the table favorite. All are good though. The chili chicken had just the right amount of heat. Spicy, but in the I'll just have another bite kind of way. Service was efficient enough although we did wait a bit for the dumplings. Things this good are worth waiting for.

Reviewed 16 January 2017

The food here is very good, especially the many choices of dumplings (they were named for it after all!). I've visited twice, so I can't speak for the whole menu, but I liked their jumbo shrimp with ginger and scallions a lot. The sauce was light, no ingredient was overpowering, you can really taste the shrimp which was cooked just right, and the broccoli was fresh and crunchy. The Singapore noodles were delicious - at last I found one in DC that's not oily and had just the right amount of curry and spiciness. I'll be back, and these 2 dishes will be "standard fare" in my future carry-outs. I'm eager to try the rest of their menu, since the kitchen looks like it's not drowning the food with gooey, sugary sauces (like in many so-called "Chinese" restaurants), and instead allows the natural flavors to come out. However, service is slow. For a Chinese restaurant, where you expect quick service, we had a "fine-dining"-type wait of almost 25 to 30 minutes to get the food. Their table set-up is inflexible too. We were in line but they did not want to give a free table for 4 to us (we were two), and yet they could not split it into 2 X 2 either because the table was solidly built for 4. In other Chinese restaurants, that table would have been split into two separate two-seaters in less than a minute. However, the food is good, so I'll be back with friends. This is not a cheap-o restaurant as dishes range from 13 to 16 $, but the good food is worth it (if you can stand the long-ish wait...)