“One rotten apple....”
Review of The Dubliner

The Dubliner
Ranked #10 of 184 Nightlife in Washington DC
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

Popped in for dinner before returning to Baltimore on the train. First impressions were very good with a buzzing atmosphere inside. We wanted a little less noise so chose to eat outside. This is where the problems started. I think our servers name was Patrick.....dark hair.....beard....spectacles.....I only make this point as the other servers outside were polite and helpful.
Anyway.....our server offered us a special beer ......not being familiar with this brew I asked “is it hoppy”......shouted response was “ you want coffee”......I wrote this off to an accent issue as I am English and ordered a different beer.
The table next to us who arrived within a few minutes of us had made the same server aware that they were Under time pressure and needed to be finished within the hour to catch a train.
Our server seemed very confused about what table had ordered what food.....we saw our food come out and disappear.....we finally gained our server’s attention and he grudgingly brought our food.
On a positive note....the food was ok.
After about an hour we were finishing up and getting ready to leave and had paid our check. The table next to us finally became fed up with waiting and left........2 minutes later their food came out and Patrick seemed confused....again....about what was going on......I got his attention and simply said “they left a couple of minutes ago”
Our server didn’t seem to comprehend what had happened and aggressively said “what”.........I repeated my explanation and was greeted with the response “you are interrupting my conversation with my colleague”.
Unbelievable!!!!!
I really don’t expect to be spoken to like that when trying to be helpful and regrettably suggested that the server seek a different career as he was clearly not cut out for what he was currently doing.......at this point he retorted “ you should go”...
I asked him to repeat what he said and he ignored me.
My wife and I then left.
At this point I would like to apologise to the 2 young ladies at reception.....I vented my disgust to them ....I wasn’t their fault and I should have asked to see the manager....”sorry ladies”

Our server was clearly not on his game this evening and ruined our night......perhaps he was not feeling well.....maybe he is on medication either prescribed or not....I don’t know...but there is no excuse.....maybe a random drug/alcohol test would benefit the establishment to prevent this in the future.

Will not be returning which is a shame as the food and beer were good.

Date of experience: August 2018
"capital building"
"across the street"
"usa"

Reviewed 31 July 2018

You got to try their menu and especially their fish and chips and just cool down from all the sightseeing tours around the Capital town of USA. My husband and I had a great time couple of nights we were staying at the area. Enjoyed the music and the nice atmosphere around the bar!

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

Don’t waste your money! McDonald’s is better. The chicken was not cooked all the way. The rest of our parties meals were not anything great. The server Prescott was terrible...inattentive and never came to refill drinks. Asked 2 times for check and he said he would be right a k but sat at the bar chatting with bartender and never brought check.

Reviewed 28 July 2018

The Dubliner has been a staple for a quick dinner and cold one in a familiar setting. Have been coming here for over 30 years since a student at UofM as intern in DC and now when in DC for business or pleasure. Warm pub setting but very active and vibrant place. If you want a quiet dinner- not the place! If you want energy and good service this is your place. Food is reasonable and service quick. Waitstaff was attentive and the Allagash was cold! Beef on Weck and Ruben sandwiches were both got hit marks from my guests.