“Very Good Conference Hotel with Excellent Breakfasts” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center

Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center
Ranked #31 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Toronto, Ontario
“Very Good Conference Hotel with Excellent Breakfasts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

I recently stayed here for 5 nights while attending a major convention. The room (1209) was clean and spacious, with a nice living area, 2 TVs, microwave, bar fridge, sink, in-room safe, lots of storage areas. Service was very friendly - each staff member I encountered went out of their way to ensure my needs were being met.

Location: About a 5-minute walk to the (new) Convention Center. Less than a 10-minute walk to both Metro Center and Gallery Place Metro stations. I took the Metro directly from Reagan Airport to Gallery Place and walked to the hotel from there. It was easy and safe, even as a solo female traveller (arriving during the day, mind you). DC Circulator bus stop directly behind the hotel. I used the Metro and DC Circulator extensively during my stay. Some inexpensive Asian restaurants nearby (around the corner to the south), as well as cool places like Cuba Libre and OYA within a few minutes' walk.

Breakfast: The best thing about this hotel, in my view, is the fact that a full buffet breakfast is included in the price. Although I could have had a continental breakfast at the Convention Center, I ate at the hotel every morning. The variety and quality of the food is better than the typical hotel buffet. The restaurant itself has a lot of seating spread out among different areas, so a solo traveller can always find a cozy spot. Note that I always ate fairly early (by no later than 8 am), so perhaps it got more crowded after this.

Peeves: Two things here. First, there is only WIRED Internet access and it COSTS $10 for each 24-hour period. Ridiculous! Free WiFi is available in the lobby, but who wants to Skype their family from a hotel lobby?! Second, I ordered room service one night. I asked for two appetizers as a light meal and signed the charge to my room. The bill had a space to add a gratuity, so I added a tip, then signed the bill. It was only later, when I read the bill carefully that I noticed a gratuity of 21% (that's right, TWENTY-ONE PER CENT) had already been added!! And that was in addition to the $3 delivery charge. So my two appetizers cost me $31, an absolute rip-off.

Would I stay here again? Yes for a conference due to the location, and probably yes even with family due to proximity to main Metro stations and breakfast buffet. I would just be sure not to order from room service!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CdnMtnGal
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Hi CdnMtnGal,

You certainly know how to write a thorough review and thank you for taking time to do so on Trip Advisor. Your comments about the hotel are very complimentary and I am so glad to see you enjoyed your stay.

While you had so many good things to say, I also noticed the constructive feedback about things that could have changed. In regards to the lack of wireless internet, I understand your concern and am happy to report this problem has been fixed. Just a few short weeks ago wireless was installed and turned on throughout the hotel. No longer does anyone need to visit the lobby or restaurant to Skype or Facetime. In regards to your note about the room service, I apologize you did not realize the charges for gratuity and delivery were added on. I can understand how this might seem high, but I assure you this is an industry standard. In fact, our gratuity charge is the lowest in our area. I know, hard to believe, but we have done the research. Please accept my sincerest regret once again if you felt misled.

One last thing I want to mention is your comments on the service of the staff. Of everything you wrote, this is the one that stands out the most for me. It is a constant focus of our staff to make sure every guest knows we are here to serve them and I am glad we were able to make such a favorable impression.

Thank you again for taking time to make sure your experience was detailed and shared. I can't thank you enough for selecting our hotel when I know there are lots of options. Should another conference or even a vacation bring you back to DC, we will look forward to welcoming you back!

Charles.Hill@Hilton.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Grand Rapids, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

This is your typical Embassy Suites. A wonderful large room, clean, up to date. There is a charge for in-room internnet access ($10 for basic $15 for upgraded recommended for VPN coonections) and the in-room is not wireless. There is plenty to choose from in the complementary breakfast. The location is right in the middle of things if you are attending something in the convention center. All in all, this is a great choice ofr a hotel in the convention center area of DC.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Greetings GRScott,

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites Washington DC Convention Center for your hotel while in DC. Your comments are very complimentary and even more appreciated. I see your comment about not having wireless in the rooms and understand your frustration. Please know you have been heard and I am happy to report that as of two weeks ago we went completely wireless. Not only flipped the switch, but with brand new state of the art equipment. Talk about fast! You are right that there is a charge in the room, but it is also worth mentioning that wireless in the lobby, restaurant, and Managers Reception area is free as are the kiosks with a printer in the lobby and business center. There are lots of complimentary options.

Once again, thank you for your review and great comments. I am hopeful that your travels will bring you back to DC and you will come visit us again. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back!

Jonesboro, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here and loved it! The location, the staff, the room, the manager's reception, the breakfast and the view from our room were all exceptional. It was our first trip to DC and we were typical tourists. We went all day and rested all evening in our room after dinner. We enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel a lot. It was priced very reasonable also.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi RandsTravelingGirl,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. It would appear you had a great first trip to DC and I am ecstatic we could be a part of your experience. You had nothing but nice things to say and I think the only thing you did not mention was our brand new wireless internet throughout the hotel. Talk about lightening fast. But then again, you made the most of your time in the city and took advantage of the nice weather.

I am pretty confident that there are things on your list that did not get checked off which calls for a trip back to Washington. When that time comes, please keep us in mind so we can welcome you back.

Makati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

Booked this hotel be cause of the good reviews from this site and a Very good deal from a third party vendor. Was driving from New York with my wife and 3 boys aged 24, 15 and 11. We booked 2 suites. Check in was fast and easy. Valet parking was also very good but do not remember if it was 25 or 30 dollars for a 24 hour period. Rooms were very clean. Beds were firm and the pillows comfortable. Flat screen TV in both bedroom and suite area. My kids were in a room situated 1/2 way down the hall from the elevator and the picked up on the hotel lobby free Wifi. We were about 7 rooms down the hallo and we could not get the Wifi. We had to order it for more than 10 bux a 24 hour period and it was not wifi but a ether net connection. Not good for my wifes new Ipad 3 but luckily I had my laptop. Room has built in safe, refrigerator, microwave, sink and coffee. Bathrooms were a bit small for a suite but were fully operational. Rooms are quiet and we all had a good nights sleep.

Cocktail hour was nice. Free drinks for all with all you can eat chips and salsa. Free Breakfast as well.. They offer a wide selection with eggs,bacon sausage, cereal, yogurts, fruits, bagels, coffee, juice, pastries and more. A separate omelet station as well. Unfortunately we arrived at the tail end of breakfast the first morning and the lines were very long. There is a sign stating that on any given day those arriving with in the first hour will be served quickly in about 5 minutes or less. Those arriving later will have to wait on line 20 minutes. In any case try to get there early and avoid the long lines. Be aware the buffet was very good.

This hotel is in a great location. Only a 15 minute walk to the white house and other sites. Very close to public transportation. I felt safe walking around with family even at night.Getting taxis at any time is easy. There are a few good restaurants with in walking distance if you do not want to eat in the hotel. Hotel staff are very kind and helpful. They helped us with directions, providing maps, and offered advice on places to go and good restaurants.

I liked this hotel and would recommend it to friends and could easily stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DanntheMan
CharlesHill900, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington-Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Greetings DanntheMan,

With a review like that, you certainly are "the Man!" I am not sure there is anything else I could say about our hotel or what to expect that you did not cover. Actually, I have a piece of good news. As of exactly one week ago we are now fully wireless in all parts of the hotel. Not only do we have wireless, but since the system installed is so new, it is all state of the art and as fast as you will find anywhere. Of all your comments, I believe that was the one that we could improve on and I think we have you covered already.

Thank you for giving our hotel a chance and thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. While I am always open to constructive feedback, I certainly do like the positive comments. You mention that you would recommend and choose our hotel again and I hope this is true and we have the chance to welcome you back. It would be our pleasure!

Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

This is typical of the chain. Furnishings are up to date and clean. The room was very quiet and the staff helpful and friendly. If you're a member of their club then you get an evening cocktail hour. They charge for wireless and parking is valet and high priced. Security was very good. There are private lots within a couple pf blocks for half the price. The breakfast was outstanding with made to order eggs and breakfast meats along with the usual array of fresh fruit, breads, and cereals, waffles, and oatmeal. Again it pays to be a member of their travel club.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Lasrman
Hello Lasrman,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. You obviously know the Embassy Suites brand and it was good to hear you found our hotel up to or dare I say exceeding expectations. We did complete a $7.5M renovation this past March, so we like to think we are in pretty stellar shape.

In your comments you mentioned that if you are a Hilton HHonors member then you get into our evening Managers Reception. This is actually something we offer to all our guests. While being a Hilton HHonors member does have its perks, all our guests get a suite, complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast and access to our evening Managers Reception. You also stated that our parking is Valet and perhaps higher than expected. We understand this is an important element for many travelers so I wanted to mention that we have reviewed what our competitors are charging within a 5 block radius and we are actually on the low end. While we charge $35 per night, the average is right around $38 with some as high as $45. It is important we stay competitive and in this case we make sure you are getting a value.

Overall I am delighted to see you found our hotel to be a good fit and thank you for giving us a chance. I hope that if your travels bring you back up to DC you will keep us in mind. Until then, travel safely and often!