“Very good, but...” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Very good, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

This hotel is one half of a building over 10 floors in height. It has only two elevators. If you are above the fourth or fifth floor, this can be a problem for getting up or down during heavy traffic periods, such as breakfast or checkout time.

Otherwise, the hotel is great. The staff is very attentive and helpful. Most DC attractions are nearby by either bus, taxi, or subway.

We really enjoyed our first time visit in Washington, DC, and this hotel made it all the better.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Don C
Jim K, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Don C,

Thank you for the great review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. I am sorry to hear about the elevators, but at times they can become very busy. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel and most of all the staff. When traveling to Washington DC we hope you choose to stay with us again.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

I stayed here for about a week in July for business and pleasure. What a pleasant surprise! The location is fantastic. This Hampton is a couple blocks from Gallery Place/Chinatown on the Red Line on Metro. The neighborhood is also revitalized and has restaurants, shops, some quick eating places, and the proverbial CVS. Everyone at this hotel is friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean with a wide, open area for the free breakfast which has lots of choices. USA Today delivered to your room door, and a fitness center that is small but has up-to-dae Precor equipment and free weights. You can walk so many places from this location! Highly recommend this hotel and hope to stay here again.

Room Tip: Stayed on a high floor so that may have cut down on street noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelover5240
Dear Travelover5240,

Thank you for the awesome review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. I am glad to see that you enjoyed the location, breakfast, and the cleanliness. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

We arrived at the hotel on July 7th around 1:00 p.m. and was greeted warmly by John Thorne who offered us a nice clean room with a slight view of the Washington Monument. We have been to Washington DC many times and would normally stay at the Hilton Garden Inn that was close to the White House. Reading the reviews about this hotel really validated my expectations. The staff were very accommodating and made sure that your stay is as pleasant as possible. I asked for extra towels and when I got to the room, the housekeeping staff already did it... Upon entering the room, I smelled freshness and airconditioning was functioning....It was 104 degrees that day with a heat warning given so this was a plus! John also called in to make sure if everything is okay with the room. This is another plus of excellent customer service! We had a tour booked at the Capitol so they offered to get us a taxi and John gave specific instructions to the bell hop to make sure that he get us a taxi driver that would charge us correctly. John also took care of our luggages when we checked out the following day and left them with RJ ( Bell Hop/Concierge) as we had to visit other sights in town. The hotel is only a short 2 blocks to Chinatown and about a 15 minute walk to the International Spy Museum which we also visited. Another plus is the hot breakfast which is way above the normal continental breakfast that you would get from other hotels. We had scrambled eggs, ham, sausages, fresh mix fruits, different selection of yogurts, muffins, bagels, you can even make your own waffle which my youngest daughter liked alot and they served past the 10:00 a.m. breakfast end time as more guests arrived late for breakfast, this is another plus, and warm cookies they were so good that they were gone in a few minutes, free coffee, tea and hot chocolate anytime of the day and free wifi... I would definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends and relatives who are planning to visit Washington DC someday.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank RossT63
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, 15 July 2012
Dear RossT63,

Thank you for the awesome review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. It is great to read that John took such great care of you during your time with us. I will share your comments with the whole staff. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed the accomodations, breakfast, location, and most of all the staff. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

We almost always stay at Hampton Inns so decided to give this one a try. Had a bit of a wait for our room to be ready and it was about 4:30pm when we received the keys. It was worth the wait as we were on the 11th floor and had a far off view of the Washington Monument.

The rooms are a bit on the small side and the closet is about 18" wide so not much room to hang all the clothes needed for our family of 4. But there is decent storage in the drawers and in a big compartment over the microwave/refrigerator area. The internet worked ok, but could be very slow at times.

The breakfast area gets very crowded and is not big enough for a hotel this size. The selections are average for Hampton, and they could have included more donuts and danish to choose from.

The location is great and an easy walk to the mall area. We never felt unsafe in the Chinatown area although it is a very busy and bustling part of town. Plenty of good restaurants in walking distance like Chopt, Nandos and Ruby Tuesdays.

Overall, I would say we had a good experience at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear ohiomomto3,

Thank you for the good review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown Convention Center. I am happy to see that you enjoyed the view from the 11th floor and the location. I am sorry to hear about the wait for check in and the crowded breakfast. I am glad that you had a good experience and hope you will stay with us again.
Aiken, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

I recently stayed in this Hampton Inn for 2 nights while on a business trip. I initially chose this hotel because it was only a 1.5 block walk from my meeting place in DC. This hotel is a good place to stay in when in DC. The staff was friendly & helpful in all my interactions with them. I discovered on my first night there that the room safe was not operating (could not lock it). Maintenance came up within a few minutes after my call but could not fix it. As a result, I was allowed to lock my valuables in a safety deposit box at the desk for no charge. The concierge was very friendly & knowledgeable; he often offered to get me a taxi even if I did not ask for one. The room was comfortable & clean; the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was roomy with plenty of counter space. My only complaint about the bathroom was that the hair dryer was woefully lacking in power (like drying your hair in front of a fan). I had no noise issues, but I was on the 12th floor. The WiFi worked well for me. The view from the room was not exactly inspiring (had a good view of the back of the condo building next door) but when you are in the middle of a large urban area, what else can you expect? You are in a big city folks. Get over the lack of a beautiful "view." The breakfast is good with a variety of both hot & cold items. The staff at the breakfast buffet kept all items supplied well.
The hotel is only a 2 block walk from the Metro station (Chinatown/Gallery Place). It is located at the edge of a neighborhood that is in the process of gentrification. There are many newer condo buildings full of young urban professionals around the hotel but only a couple of blocks away is an older neighborhood that I would not venture thru at night. However, the area is completely safe during the day. I took the Metro both to & from the airport and walked 2 blocks each way dragging my carryon suitcase without any concerns. There is a Safeway grocery store only 2 blocks away that has a good deli with a selection of sandwiches, a hot bar, and drinks that you can buy for carryout (I stocked up on juices & water since there is a refrigerator in the room).
For those of you who are driving to DC, there is a $34/night valet parking charge (and valet is the only parking option) at this hotel. It sounds like a lot but actually is pretty standard for large urban areas on the East Coast. I did not see any other parking opyions around the hotel. Overall, I would not hesistate to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Edistotiger
Dear Edistotiger,

Thank you for the awesome review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. I am sorry to hear that your in room safe was not functioning, but happy to see we accomadated your valuables in our safety deposit boxes. I am glad to read you enjoyed the location, breakfast, and our knowledgeable staff. Thank you for staying us and we hope to see you again soon.