“The dumplings. Get the dumplings.”
Review of Panda Gourmet

Panda Gourmet
Ranked #948 of 3,558 Restaurants in Washington DC
Reviewed 5 April 2015 via mobile

Holy cow the dumplings. Best dumplings I've ever had. I went with a Chinese girl and a bunch of friends and she ordered off the Chinese menu. Everything we had was fantastic. Definitely NOT Panda Express!!

Reviewed 31 December 2014

I read about this place in a local paper and my neighbor who is a chef also recommended it. He said forget the deco, but the food is good. I worked in China for a couple of years, and been to Szechuan province. So my expectation is high.

Tucked away in the Days Inn located in New York Avenue, there is nothing much to look at. The deco is very much like a small restaurant in China. The service is sufficient.

I have to say the food is authentic. It is spicy and not too spicy, the heat lingers in my tongue for a little while and then it was gone. I had the Chengdu Cold Noodle, this was the best, The Scallion Pancake, Sliced Pork In Garlic Sauce (A cold appetizer), Calamari, and Sautéed Shanghai Vegetables in Garlic Sauce. Everything was good. My only criticisms is that the portion of the Calamari is like an appetizer size. In some other Chinese restaurant, I would have get twice as much as this restaurant served. Secondly the appetizer Scallion Pancake did not arrive until I finished every single dishes. This is supposed to be an appetizer! The favor profiles are good and just like what I had in China. BUT FOR the above two issues, I would have gave it a 4 stars.

1  Thank Superlegalbabe
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Food was very good, it wasn't the best atmosphere but the good more than made up for it, the service was good too, try the Mongolian beef, some of best I've had in dc.

1  Thank nOLoVe14
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Don't expect any glamour. This restaurant is located next to a gas station in a dodgy area that is crossed by an interstate.
Its a hole in the wall. Ordering is challenging if you don't speak any Chinese. The staff doesn't speak English.
We tried to substitute pork for shrimp and we ended up eating plain noodles with more plain noodles.
The Chinese burgers (spicy) are very popular and they are very tasty. Try the pork one.
We also tried the lamb noodles. A bit blend.
Next time we'll try to go there with Chinese friends.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Seven us of joined together to order a lot of plates. Cold noodles appetizer, great as well as the pancake appetizer. Great chicken with lots of dried hot peppers, dittoo on the lamb and beef dishes. Green beans were super good. The twice cooked fish - true gourmet dining. Skip the lamb skewers. Also DO NOT, let me repeat that, DO NOT, order a mixed drink here, they are much better at the making great food. Beer and wine are ok and that part must be paid with cash. This really is the real deal, not your traditional American Chinese, this is real Chinese.