“Great find for Hand Drawn Noodle dishes!”

Chinatown Express Restaurant
Ranked #917 of 3,522 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 15
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed 22 August 2016

Chinatown is a not as extensive as one may think, so I was very happy to find a real hand drawn noodles venue when I had a hankering. The difference between doughy, chewy hand drawn noodles are indescribable compared to dry noodles. It was great to chomp on the fresh dough noodles in a delectable umami broth, then head back out to explore the rest of the area. This place is one of only a dozen eateries in Chinatown/Gallery Place. If you are looking for more Asian food venues, you'll have to head to Merrifield/Annandale/Fairfax for Korean (H Mart), Eden Center for Vietnamese (huge shopping center with 100+ shops, numerous restaurants), or Merrifield for Chinese (Great Wall supermarket).

Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

Great chinese food and incredibly cheap. Their duck soup is by far the best I've ever had and way cheaper than all of the other ones.

Reviewed 20 August 2016

When I visited Washington DC six years ago for an overnight, we found Chinatown Express when looking around the VERY small Chinatown in DC. The place was excellent then and the noodles and dumplings were par none. I made a special trip to go back to the restaurant again when I was in the city today and the first warning sign should have been the non-Chinese face making dumplings in the window. The girl did not know what she was doing.

I ordered the pork soup dumplings, shrimp pan-fried dumplings and their special noodles with roast pork. All of the food was disappointing and mediocre. The soup dumplings were way over-cooked and had no juiciness to them. They tasted like they had been sitting in the steamer all day, the shrimp dumplings were under boiled and then over-panfried and were hard when they came to the table. The noodles were good but not like they once were when I tried them the first time.

The service was lack-luster for the most part and not the friendliest. Once they took the order, you never saw them again until the bill came. It looked to me like the old owners were selling the business and training the new owners. It was a very disappointing meal especially when I know how good they once were before. Not great.

Reviewed 18 August 2016

You cant get any better food for the price in China town. the food is always fresh and delish. The price is always good. The beef noodle soup is one of my faves. They make the noodles fresh daily. my Fiance' and I can eat here for around $20. Everytime I catch a game or concert at the verizon center we stop in here, it's right down the block. Cheap, Delish and fresh. You can't ask for better. Family run.....

Reviewed 12 August 2016

I wasn't very hopeful about the food here, but despite the poor reviews that I had received, I decided to try this restaurant. The food was not good. There were no veggies in the fried rice and my orange chicken was flavorless. The eggroll was all grease and you'd be hard pressed to find anything but cabbage inside of it. On the positive side, the food was hot and freshly made. Now if they would just infuse some flavor into it, that'd be great!