“Great food a stone's throw from the White House”
Review of Oval Room

Oval Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Oval Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #263 of 3,259 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: H & I
Transit: Faragut West (Orange and Blue Lines); Faragut North (Red Line)
Cork, Ireland
“Great food a stone's throw from the White House”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Apparently this is Condoleeza Rice's favourite restaurant in DC and whilst we might not agree in our politics I firmly approve of the former Secretary of State's taste when it comes to eating out! We enjoyed the competitively priced pre-theatre menu outdoors on a beautiful Spring evening. Service was superbe and every course was a wonderfully presented and excellent blend of flavours. My highlight was my starter; a delicate tuna sashimi complemented by tapioca, buttermilk, zucchini and chilis. Delicious. I also strongly recommend the Cherry Blossom Cocktail, given the time of year!

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Micheál B
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

New York City, New York
“This is one fine restaurant”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

The menu is really quite creative, the food is excellent, and the service is as well. It is not inexpensive but you get what you pay for.

Our son lives across the country and we coincidentally were in town at the same time for respective conferences. We stayed for almost 4 hours and certainly felt no pressure to leave earlier.

Visited March 2012
3 Thank UESfoodie
“Good, but did not "Wow" us”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Our party of four decided to splurge on dinner on a recent trip to DC. The Oval Room was rated highly, so we made reservations. The waiter gave a very thorough description of the entrees and the appetizers, and although some of the combinations were a little on the edge for our "midwestern palates" we were excited to try them. Each of us choose something different, One of us ordered the Rockfish, another the Black Bass, one of the guys had the beef as part of the Tasting menu and I couldn't choose between the shrimp and the Truffle pasta so I ordered them both from the appetizer menu. Apparently they did not have any Rockfish that evening, so my friend was offered the Black Bass to be prepared in the same manner as her original choice. After tasting it she stated she was not thrilled with the combination but it was "okay". The men were fairly happy with their choices. I wish the waiter had told me that the appetizers were not sufficient for dinner. The two small shrimp and the 1/4 cup of Truffle pasta were indeed delicious, but left me hungry. Thank goodness for the bread! So although the food was good, presentations nice, atmosphere quiet, the portions for the price were dissastifying.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank aztikihut
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I took my wife to the "Oval Room" for her birthday and we were extremely impressed by every aspect of this restaurant. The dining room was very modern and intimate allowing fa very comfortable dining experience. The staff was extremely helpful, attentive and very friendly. The food is out of this world! We started with the the baby beets, and my wife and I could not believe how full of flavor they were. After that we knew we were going to enjoy anything off the menu, deciding what was the only difficulty. My wife chose the Rock fish and it was impeccable. I went with the filet which was cooked to perfection as well. The whole night was very enjoyable and when your in D.C. this restaurant is a must.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Zach H
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great restaurant for a romantic dinner”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My husband and I went to the Oval Room on a Saturday night and we had a great time. We had the tasting menu with the wine pairings. The room was beautiful and the diners were dressed nicely for dinner, which was refreshing to see. The staff was attentive and helpful. We liked the tasting menu as we had a chance to try foods we may not normally try otherwise. We loved the truffle pasta. It was not an inexpensive meal, but you get what you pay for, and we were very pleased. It was quiet enough that we could have an intimate conversation, but not so quiet that it seemed like a museum. I would definitely recommend it for a special occasion or a romantic dinner.

• Visited February 2012