“Best Chili and chili cheese fries for the price, local establishment”
Review of Ben's Chili Bowl

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Neighbourhood: U Street Corridor
Reviewed 4 December 2015

The staff were very kind to our group, and the food came relatively quickly even though the place was packed. We met a similar group here from England, who said they wanted some good American food so they came here. It really is good food-- the chili was very good (and I travel to the SouthWest a lot, so I know good chili), and the chili cheese fries we had were second to none. The walls here also tell the history of the place, and also has cool newspaper clippings everywhere.

Reviewed 2 December 2015 via mobile

A DC landmark of sorts, visited by many celebrities. Located on U st. NW on a thriving street that is in a neighborhood that is rapidly changing. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It may have been me, but I thought the time to get your order was very slow. The food was ok or just average. If you want to go to see the place that's one thing, but you get grab a chili dog that is just as good or better and less expensive from anyone if the dozens of hot dog carts on most street corners.

Reviewed 1 December 2015

The place is unreasonable overrated for whatever reason. I've eaten there and refuse to waste my money and time - greasy, dirty, bad food and bad service. Against my advice a friend wanted to go there because of the usual tourist reasons ("Washington institution", "best chili dogs", etc.). After experiencing it he's now a believer. The chili CAN NOT be homemade - it's gotta be Hormel or something similar. The fries were greasy, old and cold....not a cute combination. Want a Washington institution? Try the Old Ebbitt.

Reviewed 29 November 2015

I went in with my Family, we had a wonderful time. We meet a person who worked there he showed us the Video on the history of the place he made us feel special. Then the older man proceeded to have a nice conversation about life with me and my 13 year old Son. It is a special place and I recommend the Stop on your next trip to DC. There is a Civil War Memorial out by Ben's chili Bowl as well. We took the Metro to the Restaurant from Downtown DC. "Short Ride".

Reviewed 25 November 2015

This is one of those restaurant you just have to visit. "The Bens special hot dog" it's a must have.