“Wow!”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #13 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Talk about luxury. Wow this place has it all.

I stayed here for a business conference in January 2010.

The room was one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in. The bathroom was HUGE and loaded with amenities.

I had a perfect view of the Jefferson Memorial from my room.

Just an unreal place. Only negative is location, It's a bit out there, but if you don't mind cabs, you'll be fine..

Have fun.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Netso
MOWashingtonDCHotel, Public Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

Deat Netso,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your stay - we do appreciate your enthusiasm and the commentary you provided regarding the amenities, surroundings and views you enjoyed during your time with us.

We do hope to have the pleasure of your company in the near future.

Kind regards and safe travels,
Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC

Reviewed 25 July 2012

I'll preface this by saying I got a great conference rate, so the value for the money was excellent. The rooms and lobby area as expected for a 5 star hotel and better than some of other older 5 stars I've stayed in. Every one of the staff I dealt with provided excellent customer service (friendly but not obsequious)-- special kudos to the woman in the business center. My room faced the marina and had a lovely view and was quiet-- probably best to request over a city view that might get you a peek of the Washington Monument and mall but more likely one of the office buildings next door.
For those unfamiliar with DC, the location is a bit off the beaten path, but easily navigable. It's just south of the mall off 12th St., about a five minute walk from the Smithsonian Metro stop. The area is mostly governmental buildings that close up evenings and weekends but I felt safe walking in the evening-- late at night I'd probably cab it. The L'Enfant Plaza metro stop was equally close, but kind of a creepy walk under a highway that was okay in day time, but I avoided it on weekends and after 5:00. It's easily accessible to the Mall and associate monuments (Jefferson, MLK, Washington, WW2 all within walking distance)
Overall, my recommendation was great conference rate and easily accessible to the convention center via the Metro, but a bit away from things if you're planning to network with conference colleagues. For tourism, a great hub to get everywhere and as close as most other options to the major attractions with the plus of being a wonderful sanctuary to escape to at the end of a long day.

Room Tip: As for a marina view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear "PhillyVoyager,"

We always appreciate hearing from our guests, and especially when postings are so balanced and complimentary. We do welcome any and all comments, and are grateful for your honest assessment.

We do hope to have the pleasure of your company when you next visit our nation's capital.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

My family (wife and two teenagers) recently stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for five nights. We were in a Tai Pan city view room. The city view consisted purely of the building next door; it doesn't seem other reviewers have had this same "view", so perhaps we weren't put in the right room. We were on the 9th floor and had access to the Tai Pan club which was great. Free breakfast in the morning, snacks throughout the day, and a happy hour from 5-7 with food and drinks. That was the best part of the hotel in my mind. Other reviewers have had good things to say about the pool, but we didn't like it. It's only 4' deep throughout. When we looked at the fitness center, we were told our children (ages 13, 16) needed to be accompanied by adults. However, when my 13 year old son and I went down to workout, we were told by a rude lady that nobody under age sixteen can use the workout equipment. With the 100 degree weather, they really should allow teenagers to workout indoors... We thought the location of the hotel was great. As others have noted, there aren't restaurants around, but the nearest Metro stop is only about a five minute walk. We enjoyed being "close" to everything, but in our quiet/private area. The Smithsonian and Holocaust Museum are easily walkable. Other reviewers have complained about the noise. I don't know if they've made improvements or just being on the 9th floor, but we found it to be quite quiet. There are some great running trails around the hotel. There is a back entrance (with stairs to a bridge) on one of the running loops that is very difficult to find unless you know where to look. If you're doing that loop, check out the stairs path before going on the run (it is a great loop that can be slightly modified to go by all the major monuments in four miles). We found a couple great restaurants (Unum and Matchbox), but those are for other reviews. The parking was extremely expensive ($50/night); we should have turned our car back earlier. We thought both of the concierges we dealt with were very helpful. Also, the housekeeping service was excellent (it was nice getting two bottles of water every evening). I think we would probably chose to stay here again based mainly on the ammenities of the Club and the location of the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room with Tai Pan Lounge Access (it was the best part of the stay)
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear "Gbob,"

We do appreciate when our guests take the time to post about their stay, and the aspects of their stay that they enjoyed.

I am sorry you encountered some mix messaging during your stay regarding the fitness center...the age limit is 16 years old, to work out (to prevent injury), so that message should have been explained better at the time you inquired. I have sent your comments to the Spa managers to ensure that we are consistent with what we share with our guests.

We do hope to have the pleasure of your company in the near future.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

We were 3 adults and 2 small kids in two adjoining rooms, which were spacious and had a nice view of the Wash. Monument. I was impressed that the trains passing 7 floors below didn't cause any disturbance. I was not impressed by the "complementary" ice which had to be requested (think TIP) rather than an accessible ice maker on the floor (turns out there was one right next door, but behind a door marked "staff only"). Various other amenities were likewise a mixed blessing: 3-4 ways of taking a shower or bath with multiple controls and hoses were confusing and let water splash everywhere. (Yeh, well, so what if it is all granite -- a simple shower head with straight forward controls like I had a couple of days later at a Sheraton work a lot better) In one room there was both a tub and a shower stall. The tubs in both rooms had hand rails placed where they were useless (lucky none of us needed them), and the soap dish in the stall was down by my feet instead of at hand level -- as if one would be seated in the shower stall. Also the 4 identical-looking tubes of shampoo etc. had wording so small and non-contrasting that it was almost impossible to read -- especially with the shower going. The dinky little round soaps were extremely hard to get out of the wrapper (some kind of "designer" brand I suppose).
Then there was the frig. so packed with the hotel's offerings that there was no room to put anything of ours. I suggest that guests take advantage of the CVS drugstore across the street for beverages and snacks to avoid high priced hotel fare. Yes, there was complementary coffee outside the restaurant area, but only in the A.M. You could of course have a pot brought up (another TIP needed), but why wouldn't all this fru-fru luxury include a coffee maker in the room? (The Sheraton had one!)
Likewise the pool and exercise room were not very comfortable (in July) or refreshing. I did enjoy the free fruit available in the workout room, however.
The food was pretty good although not at the price -- despite a weekend discounted rate. The Jazz in the lounge, however, was really top notch, including a singer who sounded just like Ella Fitzgerald.
The staff were helpful and unobtrusive -- very well trained indeed -- the best aspect of this overpriced hotel.
Quite? Not quit! While the trains were no problem there were late night thumps, bumps, shouts and romping sounds from above for all three of our nights.
This probably sounds like a lot of sour grapes -- and it is -- but beware that most of the "luxury" items aren't really worth it.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the water view -- the monument views are really more interesting
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear "Wel_reisde_kerel,"

Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us. We do value all input, as it provides us with opportunities to improve for the benefit of future guests.

We do hope to have the pleasure of your company should your travels return you to our nation's capital.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

Stayed here July 11-15. It was a beautiful hotel with a nice view of the Jefferson Memorial. The room was average size, but nicely appointed with real wood furniture and a beautiful bathroom. The glass and marble shower was about 4 feet square with a lever to adjust the water temperature by degrees, which I had not seen before. Nice soaking tub, too. Very luxurious.

The Sou'wester restaurant was very good for brunch and breakfast, though pricey. Had never paid $16 for a glass of house chardonnay before. Empress lounge had a very limited menu. My fiance got a pedicure at the spa, but wasn't impressed with the service or polish selection, especially at the price.

Our flight didn't leave until 7 in the evening, so they were very gracious and gave us a 4 pm checkout. Staff was extremely nice and attentive-a waitress in the lounge came up, called me by name and asked me if I wanted the same drink I had the day before. However, she had not waited on me the day before. I was duly impressed.

Not much in the immediate area in terms of food and drink, though the location is wonderful for museums. Starbucks and CVS across the street are closed on Sundays. The development around the hotel must have been built at the economic bust time-lots of empty storefronts.

The only complaint I had was paying $10.95 for internet-this is free at a Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view-ours faced the surrounding office building with vacant storefronts.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear "leskobear,"

Many thanks for taking the time post about your stay. We appreciate that you spent a good time to touch on many aspects of your visit and we will be certain to take your comments to heart to improve upon our offerings in all areas of the hotel.

As a side note, Southwest DC will break ground on an exciting development on the waterfront side, near the hotel. While it is still a few years before it will be completed, once it is, it will bring many more options for dining, shopping, sightseeing to the immediate area.