“Excellent staff here!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent staff here!”
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location(close to all the sites.)The service was outstanding in every aspect from the reception, restaurants, maid service, and valet.We enjoyed 3 meals at the Ici Urban Bistro, and everything was delicious! We had the opportunity to eat 2 of these meals on the Patio which was pleasant. There is also complimentary coffee in the bar every morning which is a nice touch.
Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a mini suite which was lovely. My only complaint the entire weekend was that four some reason we were not able to get the room cold enough for our liking(maybe we are used to more powerful a/c.)
All in all, I would stay At this hotel again when I return to DC.

Stayed May 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed at the Sofitel in DC in late October of 2011, bit late on my review. The hotel overall was pretty nice, staff was ok and the room was clean. Our initial impression was negative as the drive up to the hotel is confusing and there is very little space to pull your car over for the valets. But we moved on and checked in.

The thing we like the most was the location - right behind The White House. We were able to easily walk to the National Mall, visit the museums, enjoy the fall weather, and if we felt we needed to we could take the Metro. The station was around the corner from the hotel. So location-wise, this place is great for site seeing and felt relatively safe.

The negatives were also related to the location and the staff. First, there were very few restaurants open around the hotel during the weekend. Not a huge deal because you can take the Metro anywhere, but the hotel staff seemed to push their in-house restaurant which was rather pricey and stiff looking. We ended up at a large pub down the block. Second, when we arrived our room was not ready. No problem - we could eat in the bar while they held our bags. However, the bar staff basically ignored us and it seemed we were interrupting their busy day of doing nothing. So we were not pleased with that as it didn't feel attentive or welcoming. Plus, the food was only ok. We did have lovely breakfasts with nice morning staff though, so it sort of smoothed over our initial impression of the food/food staff.

I can't entirely say we were wowed by this hotel. It was a nice stay as we had great cool weather, did a ton of walking and sightseeing, so weren't at the hotel much. However, I still felt like the overall stay was lackluster.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet, but it faced the former American Bar Association building. Not a lot to look at...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Very attentive staff, especially the manager. The hotel was clean, the staff very accomodating and easily accessible. Great location, two blocks from the White House and close to all the main attractions. What did it for me was the attentive service and the convenient bar with great drinks and appy's downstairs and a nice outdoor area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We have now stayed here twice. The first time in 2006 was just my husband and I and then again in 2011 with my parents, sister and her husband. Whether it be business or pleasure, this hotel has it all. Unbelievable location, great service, generous rooms as well as a spacious bar with great food. This hotel has everything you need, give it a try!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SeattleJLB
Boston
Reviewed 29 April 2012

My wife and I travel to DC fairly often and it is an expensive city to visit. Nice hotels often go for $350 a night on the low end so when I saw rooms for $250 at the Sofitel, I grabbed it. The hotel is centrally located with lots to do in the area, close to the museums as well as the metro. The lobby is rather functional with no feeling that you are in a high end place. When we checked in, I got a feeling we were tagged as cheapskates. The person at the desk asked whether I had a preference for a floor. I said I would like an upper floor so they gave us a room on the second floor. The doors leading to the room were just painted so the hallway stank of paint. The room was directly above the entrance which concerned me about noise but it was reasonably quiet. The room was small considering I paid for the "upgrade". I don't want to know what the really cheap room looked like. The minibar was unusual. It was missing. There was one robe in the room even though we reserved the room for two. The staff were almost nasty, at best disinterested. The room was clean, reasonably quiet and the bathroom perfectly fine in an ordinary way. If I paid $700 plus for this room (standard rate but with a view of the Whitehouse), I would NOT be happy. Try somewhere else.

Room Tip: go somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family