New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown

Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown
Ranked #54 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Palm City, Florida
“Good location and nice staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed at the Hilton garden in over the 4th of July...during a historic heat wave. Hotel staff was very courteous and helpful upon check in. Room was clean on the main street (14th) which offered not much of a view other than other buildings and street noise. Location is convenient across from the McPherson Sq Metro stop and right on major bus routes. Only a few blocks away from the White House. Being a Hilton Gold, buffet breakfast and internet was complimentary. Food was good and staff was pleasant. They offered free ice-cold water to everyone as they made their way out to do sightseeing even offered movies in one of their conference rooms each night for families and of course, the signature cookies were plentiful and warm. Would stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the main street. Lots of street noise. Only view is of other buildings, not...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington, DC Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad you had a pleasant stay and I hope you had a good 4th of July, even with temperatures in the 100's. Thank you again for the feedback. We hope to see you in the not too distant future!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Nice and clean comfortable hotel. Good service and efficient staff. Exactly what one would expect when staying at Hilton Garden Inn. Room rate higher compared to other HGI hotels but this is the case for all hotels in DC. Room size was fine; location on the back side of the hotel was quiet. Close to metro station and White House.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It sounds like you had a overall pleasant stay and that our central location was helpful. Thank you again for the review. We hope to see you again!
Russellville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a five night stay with my father and son. Great customer service, the hotel even contacted me prior to arrival to let me know that they had noted that I had reserved two rooms and inquired if we would like our rooms to be adjoining. I was there for business and vacation - this hotel is directly across from the Metro and within walking distance to many attractions, good restaurants, and shopping.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Clover143
Thank you for taking the time to wirte a review. We try to make your stay as easy as possible, and contacting you prior to arrival about room requests makes check-in that much easier. Thank you again for the feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Fayetteville, AR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

I just returned from 3 days in DC and enjoyed my stay at the Hilton Garden. It is well-located, an easy walk to the mall - near the White House. I didn't go to the museums or other attractions in the mall area, so I can't vouch for how many were in walking distance. I was doing research at the Library of Congress, behind the Capitol Building, and that was definitely too long to walk - I took a cab (easy to catch a cab at the hotel). The hotel itself was nicely done - a typical Hilton, bit perhaps a tad better. Rooms nicely appointed, baths basic but fine - and sparkling clean. I loved the bed - very comfy - and the room was very quiet. I ordered room service one morning (scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, juice) and it was perfectly cooked, hot and delivered in about 15 minutes. I also ate at the downstairs restaurant The Grist Mill, twice. Had fish both nights - well prepared and delicious. My cosmpolitan was outstanding - most cannot compare to the ones I make myself, but these were super. This restaurant was a notch up from what I expected to find at a Hilton Garden - definitely had an upscale feel. As I said I liked my fish so much the first night I went back again the next. One night I also ordered dessert - I'm a fan of bread pudding, so tried that. Was quite good - not quite on par with, say, Bourbon House in New Orleans, but still quite good -I'd order it again. I wouldn't hesitate to return to this restaurant whether or not I was staying at the Hilton. But I also recommend the hotel - the two are a great combination. I always find Hiltons pretty reliable across the country, and most Hiltons and Hilton Gardens have a similar look and feel - but this Hilton Garden in DC is a little "better." Very nice and helpful desk crew too - they answered my questions and helped me with directions. The little 24-hour mini-shop next to the front desk is handy and if they don't have what you need there is a drug store/mini mart about 3 blocks down. Easy walk. All in all, an excellent hotel - the management and staff are clearly doing a super job. I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank tbevis
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Thank you for all the positive feedback about your stay with us and your experience in our restaurant, the Grist Mill. I'm glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations. We hope to see you again soon.
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Last year when we visited DC we stayed at a much more expensive hotel in Alexandria. This year we decided to cut down our metro travels and stay closer. The Hilton Garden Inn is literally right across the street from the McPerson Square Metro station (and a Five Guys Burgers). Our two bed room cost just over $200/night including taxes which I thought was very reasonable for the location. I would have preferred queen size beds, but all they offered were doubles. Staff was very accomodating when we asked to be moved to a quieter side of the hotel after the first night. The road noise is loud so if that is an issue for you make sure to ask for a quieter room.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the front of the hotel. For breakfast we used the Subway restaurant a...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your stay with us. I'm glad to hear that you had a good stay overall. Thank you again for writing a review and we hope to see you again soon.