Open today: 6:00 PM - 12:00 AM

from US$ 25.00
from US$ 99.00
from US$ 25.00
More Info
All reviews u street ethiopian dishes injera jazz venue jazz lovers audience culture
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Was not even open despite their website saying they were...so disappointed...then call them and no one pick-up.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had a few days to blow after a conference I attended, so I asked a colleague if they knew of any good jazz clubs. "Twins on U Street."
U Street is in the process of transformation from being the down-on-its-luck neighborhood to a vibrant scene with clubs and restaurants. Twins, and upstairs joint was tucked next to a pizza shop and another club catering to a young crowd.
It was close to 10 p.m. when I went up the narrow staircase and found myself in a near-empty restaurant and bar. the waitress said, it's a $15 cover and $10 minimum for drinks or food.
I asked if there was any music tonight. "Oh sure, honey, they're on a break.
What the heck, I paid the cover and ordered a drink.
Within a few minutes, the band sat down, and started playing some of the best straight ahead jazz I've heard in my life. A local quartet starring a trumpeter, tenor sax, drums and bass. They played to an audience of one.
I was so impressed with the music, I returned the following night to catch the first show at 8 p.m. This time the place was packed. I ordered the curry chicken which was exceptional.
Twins caters to a knowledgeable jazz crowd. Wendi, the bartender, gave an announcement that this was a listening club, and for people to be respectful to the entertainers by keeping voices low. A pure jazz culture lives in this tiny hole-in-the wall, and the crowd were thoroughly immersed in it.
There are many clubs in D.C. But this one is closest to real jazz in the tradition of the genre.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

We visited for a birthday party and quickly realized they have no AC. We were sweating through the whole night. Carol Morgan Quartet started on time and sounded great, we only had appetizers. There is a $10 minimum per person aside from the $15 cover charge. Street parking, the servers were on point, feel sorry for them. Wouldn't come back in the summertime

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

find a Jazz place for the night as a couple of other places were sold out. What a great place to listen to Jazz. These young college musicians where outstanding. I’m sure we will here of them later on when they make it big. Expect to pay ten dollar cover per person. Expect it to be a hole in the wall. Expect it to be slow service with limited options to drink. Do what we did buy two bottles of wine to cover the minimum $10 person food or drink requirement and enjoy!!

Reviewed 29 April 2018

Wonderful Jazz Venue. Enjoyed the great music of Paul Bailey. We cannot honestly rate the food as we not that hunger after the Cheese Nachos, which were actually quite good. We ordered the Vegetarian Platter. The platter came with Injera (Ethiopian Flatbread). This was our first exposure to injera, and regretfully, I would not rate it one of my favorite flatbreads. The wine is quite reasonably priced. Our waitress, Taryn was great but overworked, as she was the only waitress for the entire restaurant. Again, Great Jazz, wonderful venue and interesting fare. Looking forward to coming back.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Very good jazz, but very poor food. Go for the jazz, however do not expect a good quality meal. The place was also cold.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Funky location, serious jazz without an exorbitant price tag - we heard Salim Washington and a fine five-piece combo, including a talented, inspired pianist whose name I can't conjure. Most of the patrons seemed to be there mostly for the music, but the food is good too, including some Ethiopian dishes and a plate of injera to lap it up. A good wine list, though one of our party complained that the mixed drinks were not great.

The "twins" are two dynamic women who have run the club for over 20 years. It's a long and narrow upstairs venue in Washington's U Street neighborhood. They are serious about jazz - patrons are warned to keep their voices down when the music is playing. Nevertheless, a friendly, bustling venue - every seat taken the night we were there, but the staff is still helpful and attentive.

Jazz lovers who don't want fancy trappings (or high prices) will find a home here.

Reviewed 24 October 2017

I listened to a first set of jazz featuring Frank Lacy on trombone, Kevin on bass, and Andrew Drury on percussion, and it was a wonderful experience. The place is intimate and dark, the sound was a little loud, the food was good, and the cover charge and required price for food didn't crimp into leaving with a feeling that the evening was magical.

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

Last night was one of my best jazz nights in a long time. I consider myself to be a seasoned jazz enthusiast, with many jazz club visits under my belt and Twins Jazz Club in DC will go down as one of my favorites. Twins is one of those throwback jazz spots which still caters to the "Straight Ahead" jazz lover. The owner and wait staff are friendly & timely with their presentation & service. The crowd appeared to be a knowledgeable jazz crowd (as opposed to the "Out for a night of fun" crowd we found at Jo Jo's restaurant & bar down the street, who talked loudly throughout the performance). This Twins crowd was respectful & obviously understood the jazz culture. Jazz lovers, most definitely, check out Twins when in DC!

Reviewed 13 November 2016

Quaint little stop to enjoy good food and great music. Saw Larry Brown and his group perform, OUTSTANDING!