2,504 results
All reviews rooftop bar treasury building bliss spa white house pov bar bliss products frosted glass ebbitt grill rooms are small living room national mall fantastic location smithsonian museums few blocks lobby spg hip
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The W DC is a great hotel. Wonderful views from POV the roof top bar. We also had a nice dinner in the Steakhouse but the service was a little slow. Blair at the lobby bar was wonderful!
Overall great place to stay and if you are staying there you get to cut the line to get into the Bar on Staurday night:)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
wdcinsider, Front Office Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2011

Hi doxiesox,
Thanks for taking the time to write review and to recognize Blair for a job well done. We always make sure to give our guests preferred access to the roof, even on busy nights. That's what being an insider is all about! We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 14 June 2011

I won a trip from the company I work for and I was booked for the W hotel. Prior to my arrival I called to see if I could get early check-in. I spoke to the front desk and they had me down for arriving a day earlier. We got that correct. The day before I was supposed to check out I stopped at the front desk to see if there was a hospitality room for me to freshen up because my flight wasn't until 6:30 and the hotel showed that I was checking out a day early. Just a little confusion. The shower was nice. I was on the 10th floor not far from the elevator and just under the rooftop. It was very noisy. Normally this would have bothered me and I would have requested to have my room change, however, I was so tired I only noticied it for a minute. I would recommend not to stay on the tenth floor or by an elevator because of the noise. Even though there were some bumps the staff was awesome.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank klisa615

Hi klisa615,
Thanks for your review. I am sorry to hear we had a little challenge with the dates of your stay. Some nights our rooftop is a bit livelier and we try to anticipate that for our guests who might not join us for sips and bites. On your next visit please reach out for me so we can arrange for a room on a lower floor.
Safe Travels.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

The hotel is 200 m from the White House and 500 m from the nearest part of the Smithsonian museum / National Mall and well appointed. They mainly have people who only stay for a few nights: we were staying for 10 nights and reception said that would make us the longest staying guests. Most of the guests are on expenses and the prices for food and drink reflect this, eg, 500 ml of water is $9. For those on a holiday budget, China Town is just a few blocks down the road with a good selection of good food at sensible prices. Breakfast can be found one block away at a bakery which is well used by locals as well as visitors.

Washington advertises itself as having a lots of exciting shopping: it is not. Shopping is very limited with the primary shopping being on the outskirts of town.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Stayed here for conference. "upgraded" to a tiny room. Air conditioning didn't work, phone didn't work and clock didn't work. They would not change rooms. Horrible service attitude. Bar has great view but expensive for what you get at hotel. Also lobby and elevator very crowded on weekends

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank Gibpcm

Hi Gibpcm,
I am sorry to read you encountered these issues with our in-room amenities. We are a new property and I will send you a message to hopefully get more details to make sure these items are addressed and fixed if needed. I am glad to see you did enjoy the amazing views from our POV lounge and terrace.

Reviewed 11 June 2011

Pros:
1. Luxurious surroundings (it is beautiful in that West Elm kind of way)
2. Responsive front desk staff
3. Good location for Northwest D.C., very walkable

Cons:
1. Luxurious surroundings (so extremely trendy)
2. Trendy = SEE THROUGH FROSTED GLASS SHOWERS
3. Very small elevators (fits 4 adults with no luggage or 2 adults with luggage)
4. Must compete with numerous rooftop bar guests for elevator access at night (the public gets 2 of 3, hotel guests gets 1)
5. “Whatever, whenever” concierge assisted checkout ended in car with dead battery, missing bags and a physical near miss with Acura Experience SUV

The room was comfortable and nicely decorated. But THE SHOWER IS SEE THROUGH. It is made entirely of frosted glass, the outer wall which faces into the room. It is like a peep show. This is ok for folks who know each other well, great for couples looking for romance. It was very, very awkward for co-workers sharing a room for a conference. It was funny and horrifying all at the same time.

Our stay was mostly uneventful. Had dinner in the steakhouse attached to the hotel. Excellent wine and service. Food was good to excellent not earth-shattering. Went to the roof top bar with the amazing view.

On checkout day (Sunday, June 5), I called '0' to check out. Got a guy who said something 'W' for your 'Whenever, whatever'. Ok......I said I need to check out, get my bags in my car but leave the car parked as I was not leaving town yet. I asked if he could do all of this for me. He said yes and told me to leave my bags in the room for the porters to retrieve and place in the car. I believed him and went about my day.

I came back several hours later to get the car and go home. My car was already parked at the curbside. This did strike me as odd. I took my valet ticket to the valet kiosk outside. They were very busy and could not find my keys easily. Also found that odd. I told them I'd give them a minute and just run to the ladies room while they did so.

When I returned a few minutes later, several valets were standing in front of my car with the front hood propped open, battery cables deployed. Not a good sign. Turns out that my car had been parked outside with the hazard lights blinking since I made that morning phone call and, thus, my battery was dead. The time between my checkout call/requests and retrieving the car was about 3 hours. I will say something nice here -- I commend them for recognizing a dead battery and doing something about it immediately.

Car running, battery charging, me very tired from a long conference – I decided to check to make sure all of my bags made it to the car. NONE of my bags were in the car. I went into the lobby and spoke to two female front desk staff (I will leave them unnamed for their privacy). I calmly described what had happened and they responded quickly. My bags had been stowed in some holding area and were retrieved in about 10 minutes. No items were missing. The front desk staff expressed many apologies and did offer some remuneration for the trouble. The front desk attendant gave me her card and assured me that the manager would review my issues. She also assured me that I would receive a follow up call from the manager in 24 to 48 hours.

Relived to just be headed home, I walked out to my car. As I walked to the driver side of my car, I was narrowly missed by the front end of a hotel leased/owned Acura Experience SUV being spun in a rapid U-turn by one of the valets. He slammed on the breaks, made eye contact with me, shrugged and smiled. I didn’t smile and got in my car. I then called that front desk staff member while waiting at the next red light to let her know about this last experience. She was polite, apologetic and mentioned the manager phone call again.

That was now 5 days ago. No phone call from any Starwood employee or manager. Mistakes happen. You be the judge. The near-miss pedestrian struck moment could be considered a he said/she said kind of event. But I share it because it is the truth and it was the disappointing cherry on my check-out sundae.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Aahoffy

Hi Aahoffy,
Thank you for your detailed review. I am glad to read you enjoyed our location and the service from our welcome desk team. I have sent you a separate message to address the opportunities you mention about your departure experience.