2,497 results
All reviewsrooftop bartreasury buildingbliss spawhite housepov barbliss productsfrosted glassebbitt grillrooms are smallliving roomnational mallfantastic locationsmithsonian museumsfew blockslobbyspghip
Reviewed 12 April 2011

We know better. With hundreds of Starwood stays over the last several years, almost every W leaves me vaguely cranky (exception for the Tuscany and the Court - oh, wait, they aren't W's anymore..). The W Washington was no exception, exaggerated, perhaps, by the need to fit the W stamp onto the room footprint of the old Washington Hotel.

Great location - overlooking the White House and easy walk to the esplanade, memorials and museums. Decent food in walking distance. Not far from the Metro. All good.

Staff (spare me the "talent" label) was generally very friendly and helpful. That is a step up from some W properties, in our experience.

The room was small, poorly lit, and poorly laid out. As a platinum member, I find some properties are very good at looking for upgrades and suites - others, you need to challenge them and drag it out of them. Here, I was rewarded not with a suite (they wanted to charge another $150 a night for that!) but a "spectacular" room. Or was it and "outstanding" room... or a "tremendous" room. If what we got was at the high end of that silly lexicon, I do not envy the bottom.

Sink not in the bathroom, but in the main room - no extra lights or makeup mirror, which my wife noted petulantly. Shower - how trendy to have a translucent box extending - and leaking - into the sleeping area? Not much. I wonder how unrelated business travelers may find sharing a room like this? And I was not happy to find clothing I needed for the next day, soaked by the water leaking into the carpeted bed area. Turns out it takes a long time to dry khaki pants with a hair dryer...

My pet peeves? First, the clock in the bedroom shows the time in characters no more than 1/2 inch tall. Totally unreadable. But stylish. Second, no chair in the room except at the desk - no place to sit back and read. Finally, though out the hotel, the chairs in common areas (like the "living room" - shame on me for thinking this was the lobby) seemed designed for 8-year olds - so low to the ground (again, than you trendy) they were at bet uncomfortable, and virtually unusable.

Business center - we have to pay to use the computers to print out boarding passes? Shame on you.

Coffee, ah coffee. Let me reach for the pot in the room for some great morning buzz...but wait...no in room coffee..we only get that in Westins (and Sheratons, and Four Points, and virtually every two bit motel we pass). But not at the W! Let's go to the lobby (sorry, the Living Room) where coffee is provided. In what may be the smallest cups I have ever seen. With lids that do not fit. As we, apparently, do not fit at this Starwood brand or this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at the Westin.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beachdancer104
Reviewed 5 April 2011

My husband and I took my parents to see the Cherry Blossoms this year. We had a wonderful experience at the hotel....everyone was so accomodating and friendly. But, one staff member really stood out. Our concierge, Jon Martin, could not have made our stay more wonderful. His recommendations were SPOT ON. He listened to our needs and made the perfect suggestions. Our trip would not have been as memorable without him! He's an excellent organizer, a great communicator and an awesome guide. I can't say enough great things about him! A true, true professional.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
wdcinsider, Front Office Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

Hi HoustonPaige

Thanks for your great comments on Jon, we will make sure to recognize him for a job well done. He's been with us since opening and he is a real insider when planning a trip in DC. Hopefully we can welcome you back this season!

Safe Travels!

Reviewed 4 April 2011

Went here for my birthday, and came back engaged!

We chose this hotel based upon location and ambiance. This hotel has one of the best locations- directly across from the Treasury Department and the White House, and also just a few blocks from all of the amazing museums, the Mall and the Washington Monument.

We booked a suite, and couldn't have been happier: it was stylish, classy and luxurious. They somehow were able to completely modernize the Washington Hotel while keep the integrity of the original design and architecture. Our view was of the Washington Monument and was quite beautiful.

The first evening we dined at the J&G Steakhouse, and really enjoyed the atmosphere, food, wine and service. Later that night we went up to their rooftop lounge, POV, and enjoyed the great view, a truffled pizza, and some good music. I have to add, that if you want to have a place to sit and eat at POV on a Friday night, make reservations about a month ahead of time! It seems to be "the place to be." Also, be prepared to have to wait to get up there- they disable the elevators after a certain time in order to get people up to the roof. So, you have to go down to the lobby from your room (we had to take the stairs down because of this), wait until your table is actually ready and then they let you get in an elevator. There a numerous bouncers that you have to show your room card to in order to get past certain checkpoints in the lobby as well. Wear black to blend in or don't if you would rather stand out!

The Whatever/Whenever service is very helpful. They are very willing to help you out with what you need and are nice while doing so. The bellmen and valet employees were also very helpful, friendly and very quick . I think great service in a hotel really is one of the most important aspects, and ensures that guests return.

On the last day (we were given a late check-out), my boyfriend proposed to me right in the suite, in front of the beautiful view!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2011

I mixed this trip with business and leisure. This hotel was great on all accounts including service, cleanliness, and location!! The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. As a matter of fact, I accidently left my laptop in my hotel room and someone from the staff brought it to the airport security gate.
While this is not the most "kid-friendly" hotel, my girls (6 & 8) were treated very nicely and were provided treats upon arrival. The location was perfect for touring DC.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2011

if you want quality a super quality hotel, where the physical qualities are eclipsed by an even greater, friendly, helpful staff, then you will choose this hotel (great location). The front desk staff on duty on March 26th is the greatest. In an era of declining service, this property is a welcome exception.

We thank you a lot.