“Cedar is a hidden gem”
Review of Cedar Restaurant

Cedar Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Cedar Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #210 of 3,666 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$ 20 - US$ 30
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: Between 8th & 9th
Transit: Gallery Place-Chinatown (YL,GR,RD), Archives-Navy Mem-Penn Quarter (YL,GR), Metro Center (BL,OR,RD)
Reviewed 14 June 2017

Cedar is located in a basement close to Verizon center. If it has an elevator, I've never seen it. However, if stairs are no problem, it's worth the trip. We generally enjoy choices from the pre-theatre menu with a wine pairing. The portions of both food and wine are generous making it a bargain. There is a bar in the room, but even when it's active the room is not loud. Salmon, duck and lamb are some of my favorite dishes. The beet salad is a great way to start the meal.

Reviewed 10 June 2017

Cedar is a small restaurant in the basement of a building in Penn Quarter. There is some exposed duct work, but it's nicely appointed and not cramped.

The menu is a typical DC brunch menu with chicken and waffles, french toast and egg dishes. Chicken and waffles are definitely my style, though the kale/bacon garnish was not. The banana bread has a reputation as not to be missed, and it was definitely good.

There was a nice cocktail menu. The grapefruit mimosa had more champagne than juice, which was different, though I actually prefer them with more juice.

Certainly worth giving it a try.

Reviewed 5 June 2017

We were drawn by the reviews posted. The food was excellent and the portion size great. We had Texas Will Boar, Vegan Meatloaf, and Duck fat Fries. We dined outside to enjoy the city view. Our waitress was very nice and provide great advice about the menu. Every dish was beautifully plated and was served hot. I would highly reccommend and would return to try another dish. A great place to take your date or host a special event.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

About one-third of the menu at this cozy, gracious restaurant is vegan. (When I was here in May 2017, there were 4 vegan entrees, 1 vegetarian entree, and about 6 meat dishes. These last were mostly wild game; there seems to be a real emphasis here on sustainability and an aversion to industrial livestock.) My table had several appetizers, a vegan dish (ravioli), the vegetarian dish (a root vegetable gratin), a meat dish, two deserts, and cocktails and wine. Everything I tasted was perfect: creative, carefully prepared, and really, really good.

In addition to the range and philosophy of the menu and the quality of the food, the service at Cedar is also noteworthy. We wandered in around 6:30 on a Friday night after the menu posted outside happened to catch my eye (really, reservations are recommended). While we snacked and sipped at the bar waiting for a table, chatting with the delightful keep, the host kindly made us feel that getting us a spot was his highest priority. Table servers were equally nice and attentive. It was just a lovely evening all around.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

I came by Cedar to check it out for brunch in advance of a reservation I had booked for a large group a few days later. One of the staff recognized my name on the reservation and the POC for my group dinner came by to personally introduce himself. I thought that was a very nice touch, and service throughout the meal was delightful. (All the interactions before and after the group dinner were also very smooth - including accommodating a last-minute strict diet request - which shows great customer service!)
The food was very tasty, I enjoyed my smoked salmon eggs Benedict. I love the farm to table concept and the fact that they sustainably source their food, so I wasn't surprised by the (entirely reasonable by DC standards) price of the meal.
The ambiance is a bit dark - and it is not a big restaurant, so don't be surprised when you enter - but it's a light, warm kind of darkness thanks to the cedar-themed wall decorations.