“Best Place On The Planet”

The Mansion on O Street
Ranked #116 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
NYC
“Best Place On The Planet”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

OMG. This is the best place, on the planet! The magic. The creativity. The sense of hope around each corner. I was in D.C. on business. Used to live in D.C., but never heard of The Mansion. I am so glad my company put me up there. I want to tell everyone to stay there. To have their meetings there. To bring their friends and family there. And especially to come for the holidays. While I was there, they began decorating for Christmas. Wow. So, so magical and magnificent.

Room Tip: Everyone room is the perfect room. I got a tour of the rooms unoccupied when I arrived and it It wa...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Beth W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Florida
Reviewed 21 November 2011

A very cool place, but definitely not for everyone. When I'm staying there, I feel more like I'm staying with family. Very relaxed, always interesting.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank Atlantis104
Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We've stayed there a few times: rather fascinating place! Some serious history, a great neighborhood, and all the conveniences of a highline inn or B&B. Breakfast spreads were very good. "P" Street a block away full of good eateries.
A collection of attached houses (with a newer addition in between historic homes), the Mansion has a range of different rooms and fascinating stuff throughout. Not cheap (but with some bargains), an interesting "different" site for camping out far from cookie-cutter hotels. The staff are professional, helpful, and unobtrusive. Extended stays would be a real treat. Parking can usually be arranged, but you need to tell the staff before check-in. Worth a visit for special food events! Excellent business facilities for road-warriors.

Room Tip: Some rooms in "new additions" are more modern; some upper rooms give a view of a nice DC r...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Phillylad
Washington, DC
Reviewed 26 September 2011

i really don't understand how there can be so many positive reviews...hence my title.

I only took a tour, and did not stay there, but I think my experience will be helpful for people looking for a hotel as well--hence my review. As a DC resident, I had actually never heard of this place before getting a deal on a "tour." By tour, I mean, I was allowed to walk around the place. I guess it was interesting to see, but I found it to be kind of nightmareish. It's very quirky. There are secret doors (though I found only one), everything is for sale, and the rooms are all themed. It will definitely provide a unique experience, if that's what you're after, but I can say with utmost confidence that you couldn't pay ME to stay there. From what I understand, some of the rooms are upwards of $500 per night. I find this ludicrous. To qualify my review, too, I will say I'm not a fan of B&Bs in general, but this was in the extreme.

Imagine, if you will, a packed to the gills antique store. Then, imagine this antique store is one of those antique meets junk stores that will sell anything from old Garfield mugs and random plastic toys to armoires. Then imagine the stuff for sale is all overpriced. Then imagine sleeping amongst this. There was a bit of a musty smell--as you'll have with old stuff piled from floor to ceiling--and I think some people were smoking too because there was a heavy cigarette smell in some places.

The bathrooms were mostly huge and clean and the beds looked comfortable. Most of the fixtures look like they could use updating--they're all circa 80s, I'm guessing--but at least they were clean. Other positives are the location--you don't get much better than Dupont Circle.

You might want to take a tour as a quirky activity, though I wouldn't probably again.

The overstimulation from all the stuff everywhere was a bit much, and at one point, I felt a bit sick. I'm trying not to be overdramatic, but I think you need to know what you're in for. I applaud the uniqueness, but it's not for everyone. Like me.

Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
13 Thank PlangalDC
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 9 August 2011

This was my very first stop while visiting Washington DC! I had the most wonderful afternoon exploring every nook and cranny of this unbelievable house/museum. I was greeted warmly and whisked through a series of mazes that enabled me to forget about the outside world and "check out" from the craziness of life in exchange for the craziness of this house. What a fun experience! I was encouraged several times to sit down, relax, kick my shoes off and read a book (which there were thousands of scattered all throughout the house!)

I signed up for a scavenger hunt, but honestly I was busier "scavenging" through all the items, shopping, to really pay that much attention to what was on my sheet. Lol. After finding my way through several secret passageways, I would forget what floor I was even on! I made several trips down to the first floor where my pile of items to be purchased was being amassed on a couch. When they say everything is for sell, they mean EVERYTHING! I opened closets, armoires, trunks, desks, etc and "H" politely sold me anything I wanted (sometimes asking me where in the world I had found it!)

All in all I ended up buying several old, obscure, and delightful books, a family board game from the 70's, CDs I hadn't seen in decades, several pieces of china, a lazy Susan, a beautiful handcarved sandstone nightlight, and several other items I couldn't live without. The only thing that makes me happier than finding great treasures is knowing that all the proceeds go back to charity.

I spent 6 hours exploring all that the mansion on the o had to offer for a mere $20 donation. That was the best $20 I spent my entire time in DC. I will definitely be coming back very soon, and bringing my friends with me! Thank you "H"

Becky Hill.