Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from US$ 64.00
from US$ 139.00
from US$ 49.00
16,291 results
All reviews the wright brothers space shuttle space travel dulles airport flight simulator air travel aviation history spirit of st louis space program wright flyer imax theater all ages great for kids on display great exhibits interactive exhibits national mall
Reviewed yesterday

I love this museum. It it my favorite in DC to take my grandson to! Amazing displays of our aeronautical and space program history! The real deal! Interactive displays for all ages and an incredible space mural! Nice gift shops.

Reviewed 2 days ago

Absolutely incredible experience. Looking at the other visitors you could tell that everyone there - even those who’d gone not expecting it to be their thing - was amazed, fascinated, inspired or a mixture of all three.

From the Wright Brothers' first flight, through the Right Stuff's sound barriers and spaceflight, to cutting-edge Mars and deep space exploration, it's all here. There's even the actual USS Enterprise model used in the original Star Trek TV show.

Give yourself several hours at least for this museum and wear sneakers because it’s a big place and you’ll do a fair bit of walking.

If you found any part of this review helpful please hit the “Thanks” button below, and thanks to you in return!

Reviewed 2 days ago

I am not sure I can add anything further but I will say, this place was so amazing. It was so cool to see the historic airplanes and jets. Also, I would say that I was impressed with the docents. There was one that came up to us near the Friendship 7 and asked if we had any questions. Then he proceeded to point out interesting things about Friendship 7-that was memorable.

Thank Jamesand Charlo... G
Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

Our grandson was eager to visit this museum along with his grandfather to see all the planes. His favorite was getting to see Chuck Yeager’s plane that broke the sound barrier. There were old history making planes, new planes, and rockets, space vehicles, and several walk through exhibits. Many different galleries highlighted various aspects of air travel and it’s history in the US.
Our 7 year old grandson enjoyed his visit. He wasn’t interested in reading many descriptions but wanted his grandfather to be close by for all moments.

Reviewed 2 days ago

I came to see the Concorde, but there is so much more here, and if you love planes, you will absorb all the history and information this place has to offer, not to mention the space vessels and virtual planet environs.

GIVE YOURSELF PLENTY OF TIME FOR THIS OUTSTANDING EXHIBITION

My bus tour of Washington gave 2 hours here. I also wanted at least a look at the exterior of the HIGH COURT so I walked 1 mile, took a few pix and hobbled back – on my dodgy 73yo knees that took a bit over an hour (bottom budget travellers can’t afford taxis) leaving 55 minutes for the museum, a place I could spend all day

THE RIGHT STUFF? Yep. Author TOM WOLFE was lauding the courage of the first astronauts but would’ve been gruntled about the display of craft involved in the early American Space Race. There’s much more – later launch vehicles, moon landing capsules and earth orbiters (at least one Russian) plus info about the science of space travel and the physics of space itself. Some good IMAX stuff, flight simulators, lectures and even a PLANETARIUM.

Then there’s the aviation side – displays, information, simulators, lectures etc on stuff from the beginning of flight until present time. The variety of aircraft is mind boggling – a replica of the Wright Bros KITTY HAWK. lotsa WW1 ‘planes incl German, early commercial aviation craft, WW2 stuff, the jet age – yada. Naturally the building can’t house everything but I was suitably impressed and entertained. I understand the museum has some annexes around Washington with a lot more aircraft.

CONCLUSION – Of my 30 odd TRIPADVISOR reviews of the NE US, I gave only one other an EXCELLENT RATING; the fabulous “MAID OF THE MIST” CRUISE below Niagara Falls. The FLIGHT AND SPACE MUSEUM is truly excellent – some on our bus were so impressed they stayed on and booked a nearby hotel that night, returning to NYC next day.

TIPS – most obviously, give yourself plenty of time here.
- if you are not into aircraft etc (although all bus passengers I talked to enjoyed the visit) there is a range of other FREE museums and galleries adjacent. Yep, the museum has FREE ENTRY although there is an IMAX charge.
- there are 2 entrances – off INDEPENDENCE AVE and parallel JEFFERSON DR fronting the NATIONAL MALL.

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

I had intended to visit two museums that day but ended up spending nearly a full day. Excellent experience. Simulators a particular favourite. Excellent for families and couples.

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

One of the world's most visited museums covering flight & space exploration. Much is free but there are paid for special exhibits
Lots of gift shops

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

Had half a day off the tail end of a business trip so I decided to visit the museums of our nation's capital :)
Tight security (probably normal for DC) but quick. I was impressed by the collection of items and memorabilia from the early days of air flight to the age of space, with clear and catchy captions and illustrated explanations. The museum website describes the different exhibits so I'll not list them here. As a fan of human flight I enjoyed especially the firsts: Wright brothers and Moon landing exhibits.
Guided tours were available but I had little time and wanted to see other museums as well so I went solo. Clear floor plan and easy to follow directions, decent bathrooms and a few well positioned rest areas. Moderately crowded (school tours are a staple), pricey shop with decent inventory (got some space suits for kids). Highly recommended especially together with the other Smithsonians.

1  Thank SLIMGLIM
Reviewed 4 days ago

From the first flight by the actual real Wright flyer, to a 747 cockpit simulator, to rockets and moon landers, this museum lets you see the full spectrum of flight. Excellent displays of early aircraft, WW I and WW II aircraft and battle tactics, a Vietnam era Navy flight deck with jets, and the entire space race. Allow at least 2 hours to take in most of it, more if you like to read the plaques. There is also an IMAX theater and a Planetarium that have well attended shows, but require a ticket. You can purchase inside or online in advance.