“Fish Board for 2 -- $24 and very enjoyable!”

Ivy City Smokehouse
Ranked #541 of 3,502 Restaurants in Washington DC
Reviewed 15 October 2017

We went on a Saturday afternoon. We ordered the Fish Board, a variation of a lox and bagels platter. Had split bagels (from Bethesda Bagels, who also sells Ivy City smoked salmon sandwiches), five kinds of smoked fish: lox, pepper smoked salmon (firmer), N.Carolina Rainbow Trout, Salmon Candy, and Whitefish Salad. Platter had fresh cucumber, red onion and tomato, plus capers, cream cheese, horseradish sauce, lemon and parsley. My husband got two oysters, he had a can of beer, and I had tonic with orange bitters, lime and mint. Total bill $43, and we loved it. You could order other things and spend "too much," but this was good for us. They have some live music, plus sports on TV. Afterward we went to Union Market and got some local guacamole and chips to take home for later. The neighborhood looks a little "dicey", but a lot of newer businesses. We found metered parking about 2 blocks away. We would definitely go back. Very nice server and other staff.

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Stopped by on a week night. Friendly welcoming vibe. We thought we'd have crabs but after looking at the menu, and talking to the server we opted for a platter of smoked fish for a starter and Branzino entree that was a special. Both excellent. The platter was served with a toasted bagel which complemented the very tasty assortment of salmon, trout, and whitefish. Branzino was a whole fish stuffed with crab meat. Great food. Nice assortment of beverages. We had a nice local draft beer. Woman next to us had crabs which she said were delicious. We sat inside which was fine. On the way out we looked at the patio which would have been a very good choice too on a warm summer/fall evening. Service was excellent. Friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient. We'll be back. It's in a warehouse district in NE. We'll be back. Lot of other stuff on the menu worth exploring.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

So, it's not a barbecue place, unlike what I thought going in. It's a seafood restaurant, but oh my, how well they do it. The table split the "fish board" (4 kinds of salmon, whitefish salad, two bagels, some veggies and toppings). The "candied salmon" was delicious, the smokiness pairing well with the sweetness. The hot smoked and cold smoked salmon were good too.

For my main dish, I had the salmon tacos, and my wife had chicken and a waffle. She said it was the best fried chicken breast she's ever had. My tacos were amazing. We also got cocktails, and mine was made just with ingredients made in D.C.

The place is pricey (seafood and lots of very hipstery stuff), but it was amazing. A definite splurge for us.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

My group had reservations for 10 people to celebrate our birthdays. When we arrived we were told there wasn't a reservation for our group but another group did have reservations. The other group got timely service but we did not. They did accomodate us but it went downhill from there. We ordered, one person ordered 3 appetizers for her meal, and another ordered one appetizer. We tried to make the server understand that those were not for the entire table but they treated it just the opposite. It took forever for us to get our food. After an hour I went to talk to the manager and he apologized. He stated that he only had 2 servers and unfortunately he did not make their schedules. All this time I saw our orders sitting under the warming lights. Manager said, "just give us time to get it on a tray." It still took too long. I made sure he knew that I was extremely unhappy and he nicely gave me a slice of cheesecake on the house. TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

I might be the only person who does not know this but in the case I am not alone, it is worth writing, this is NOT A BBQ JOINT (no smoked meats). It is SMOKED FISH.

Now that that's out of the way. And fortunately after a lifetime of not liking smoked fish or fish salads, in the last twelve months my palette changed and I occasionally eat traditional smoked salmon and once ate smoked trout (caught and smoked at home by a proper fisherman from WI by Lake Superior). So it was still a stretch for me to stay seated at a smoked fish place but I was hungry and had heard great things.

The two of us ordered the Smokehouse Fish Board. it comes with one of each type of fish, two bagels (choice of), and some spreads. To the fish...the Salmon Candy was my Favorite! Described as Pacific Northwest Style Honey Hot Smoked Salmon. If I was not told this was fish, I would have SWORN it was meat. Writing about it makes me want to go back to Ivy City to get some to take home. Truly phenomenal. While I liked the Hot Smoked Pepper Salmon fine, my companion ranked that as her favorite. The Great Lakes Smoked Whitefish Salad was another standout. And don't worry, the Smoked North Carolina Rainbow Trout very good and the Traditional Cold Smoked Salmon too. Really, for $24 this fish board was a great deal AND 5/5 TASTY!

I will definitely be back and have already raved about this place to friends. I noticed they have an all-you-can-eat crab feast option too and hope I can get a group before the Summer is over to check that out!

Note to Restaurant: Two bagels and two small sides of cream cheese are not enough. Patrons, feel free to ask for more because you will likely need it!