“Cliffs of Tettegouche!”

Tettegouche State Park
Ranked #41 of 1,749 things to do in Minnesota
More attraction details
Owner description: Located near Silver Bay, this area has waterfalls and rivers as well as forests.
Reviewed 12 May 2018

We pulled in here and just did a short walk along the shoreline that takes you up on top of a huge rock cliff overlooking the shoreline of Lake Superior. The views are stunning. In the past I have hiked inland to the falls. This is a gorgeous park, whether you come for an hour or a few days, its worth a stop on your trip up the north shore!

2  Thank TryppAdams
"miles rt"
"observation platform"
"rest area"

Reviewed 15 April 2018

My wife and I went here in April after reading about it in a Moon Travel Book. The book clearly said it as a half mile RT walk from the CAMPGROUND, but I missed that detail and drove past the road to the campground and continued to the Trailhead parking lot, which is about 1.5 miles RT from the falls - my wife was not happy since I had told her it was only going to be .5 miles! :) I only figured out what I had done when I went back to read the book!

At any rate, we were the only car in the parking lot so it was nice and quiet and it was not a difficult walk from the parking lot. The trail was mostly snow covered but it was packed and easy walking, just a bit slick in places since it was about 40 degrees and sunny. The falls itself was mostly frozen but you could see some water running. You are not very close when viewing from the observation platform, and there are trees growing in front of it so the view is a bit obstructed. We did see 2 people down by the base of the falls, on the frozen river, so not sure if they accessed it from the campground or what. If so, that would appear to be the way to go, even though the walk through the woods from the trailhead is pretty.

A nice waterfall and worth the walk.

1  Thank MT1
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Stayed back in the camp at Mic Mac for several days with the kids. Hiked the front part by the lake. Shovel point is a good jaunt for the kids, they are pretty quiet the rest of the way home. The scenery is fantastic. Minnesota state parks are outstanding, and Tettegouche is top ten.

2  Thank Ruth V
Reviewed 5 March 2018

We visited the North Shore in September 2017 and had a great time. We designated a whole morning to be spent at Tettegouche State Park; we started our hike at the parking lot and went up the trail to the East of Baptism River. After a couple miles of hiking uphill, we made our way up to High Falls. The hike was a bit difficult... I would definitely not recommend it to people with kids, the elderly, or anyone who has a hard time hiking uphill for long periods of time. Though the hike was hard, it was definitely worth it. The view near High Falls was amazing! After snapping a bunch of pictures, we continued in a loop and went down towards Two Step Falls, which was also beautiful. Eventually, we made our way down and checked out the confluence of the Baptism River and Lake Superior and then made our way to Shovel Point. Shovel Point is a must-see! You get a great view of the entire North Shore from North to South. Overall, Tettegouche State Park was one of the highlights of our trip!

1  Thank sme20107489
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 November 2017

I took my senior mother here to visit all the state parks along the North Shore. We read that Shovel Point was worth the short hike. We were not aware of the 303 stairs (one-way) involved in getting to the point. They were definitely worth it. My mother's biggest worry was that there were almost no hand rails for her to use to try to maintain her balance on the stairs. She still surmounted all of them (yay!). The construction of the stairs was very well done and thankfully no slick. The views from Shovel point were awe-inspiring. You can get all the way to the edge, if you are so inclined and have common sense. Views 360degrees all around and for miles and miles. So very worth it. The visitor center is also a rest stop and very nicely redone. Clean and enjoyable to stop in to warm up from the cold outside.

Be aware the first two weeks of Nov are hunting season, so most of the park is closed because hunters are in the park. When you do hike, wear blaze orange.

2  Thank kayakergrl2017