Review Highlights
Wonderful Minnesota State Park on the North Shore of Lake Superior

My wife and I took a day and drove up along the North Shore of Lake Superior - the portion in... read more

Reviewed 12 October 2018
Doc_Cody
Woodbury, Minnesota
A great park for hiking and sightseeing

Just beautiful here. A real nice visitor center and gift shop. Clean restrooms. Very friendly... read more

Reviewed 24 September 2018
Averagejoe001
Bradenton, Florida
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Minnesota
from US$ 45.00
from US$ 199.00
from US$ 38.45
from US$ 50.00
More Info
All reviews baptism river shovel point high falls visitor center north shore two step suspension bridge great hiking palisade head peregrine falcon rest stop cascade falls up hill rest area rock climbers miles rt miles of hiking trails
Reviewed 15 April 2018

My wife and I went here in April after reading about it in a Moon Travel Book. The book clearly said it as a half mile RT walk from the CAMPGROUND, but I missed that detail and drove past the road to the campground and continued to the Trailhead parking lot, which is about 1.5 miles RT from the falls - my wife was not happy since I had told her it was only going to be .5 miles! :) I only figured out what I had done when I went back to read the book!

At any rate, we were the only car in the parking lot so it was nice and quiet and it was not a difficult walk from the parking lot. The trail was mostly snow covered but it was packed and easy walking, just a bit slick in places since it was about 40 degrees and sunny. The falls itself was mostly frozen but you could see some water running. You are not very close when viewing from the observation platform, and there are trees growing in front of it so the view is a bit obstructed. We did see 2 people down by the base of the falls, on the frozen river, so not sure if they accessed it from the campground or what. If so, that would appear to be the way to go, even though the walk through the woods from the trailhead is pretty.

A nice waterfall and worth the walk.

Date of experience: April 2018
2  Thank MT1
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Stayed back in the camp at Mic Mac for several days with the kids. Hiked the front part by the lake. Shovel point is a good jaunt for the kids, they are pretty quiet the rest of the way home. The scenery is fantastic. Minnesota state parks are outstanding, and Tettegouche is top ten.

Date of experience: May 2017
2  Thank Ruth V
Reviewed 5 March 2018

We visited the North Shore in September 2017 and had a great time. We designated a whole morning to be spent at Tettegouche State Park; we started our hike at the parking lot and went up the trail to the East of Baptism River. After a couple miles of hiking uphill, we made our way up to High Falls. The hike was a bit difficult... I would definitely not recommend it to people with kids, the elderly, or anyone who has a hard time hiking uphill for long periods of time. Though the hike was hard, it was definitely worth it. The view near High Falls was amazing! After snapping a bunch of pictures, we continued in a loop and went down towards Two Step Falls, which was also beautiful. Eventually, we made our way down and checked out the confluence of the Baptism River and Lake Superior and then made our way to Shovel Point. Shovel Point is a must-see! You get a great view of the entire North Shore from North to South. Overall, Tettegouche State Park was one of the highlights of our trip!

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank sme20107489
Reviewed 27 November 2017

I took my senior mother here to visit all the state parks along the North Shore. We read that Shovel Point was worth the short hike. We were not aware of the 303 stairs (one-way) involved in getting to the point. They were definitely worth it. My mother's biggest worry was that there were almost no hand rails for her to use to try to maintain her balance on the stairs. She still surmounted all of them (yay!). The construction of the stairs was very well done and thankfully no slick. The views from Shovel point were awe-inspiring. You can get all the way to the edge, if you are so inclined and have common sense. Views 360degrees all around and for miles and miles. So very worth it. The visitor center is also a rest stop and very nicely redone. Clean and enjoyable to stop in to warm up from the cold outside.

Be aware the first two weeks of Nov are hunting season, so most of the park is closed because hunters are in the park. When you do hike, wear blaze orange.

Date of experience: November 2017
2  Thank kayakergrl2017
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

We stopped by the Tettegouche State Park visitor center to inquire about trail availability. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff! The place offered an area to sit and enjoy a fireplace, eat, check out some historical info, gift shop (bought a FANTASTIC fleece jacket~great quality! And a couple nice coffee mugs!)
A long wall displayed the artwork of local/regional artist and their interpretations of the area. Clean restrooms.

Date of experience: November 2017