“Great Week - Amazing Value!”

Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Calgary, Canada
“Great Week - Amazing Value!”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

First off let me start by saying that when reading Trip Advisor reviews, you need to be able to weed out the whiners. I read a ton of reviews before going here, and I can honestly say that this resort had terrific value and was not poor or disappointing in any way. The people who say so maybe should have forked over extra money and gone to a luxury hotel instead of whining about the tiniest things. There were small things that could have been improved, yes.... but nothing that would actually change my perception about the resort. The people who complain about things like shower pressure are hilarious to me.

If you're looking to get away from Canadian winter to a clean resort with perfect weather, plentiful drinks and accommodating staff for a decent price - then I would say you can't go wrong here.

We traveled in a group of 6.... all in our mid 20's.

Beach:
Unreal. I've been to Jamaica, Mexico, Dominican... and the beach here probably blew them all away. It really is that nice. The water is amazingly clear, and you can walk about 100 feet in the water and it is still only up to your waist or lower. The resort has FREE snorkel rentals (they have about 10 sets which go quick, but keep checking back as people return them). Don't waste money on a snorkelling day trip. The snorkelling just off the beach at the Blau is comparable if not better to the snorkelling I have done in the middle of the ocean off the coast of Mexico.

Food:
None of us got sick. Both a-la-carte restaurants are good... we enjoyed the Italian better but they are both tasty. During the day the Italian place also has thin crust pizzas/Calzones which are awesome. The buffet had a lot of variety... the omelette bar in the morning and pasta bar at night are sure bets. The 24/7 lobby bar is a great feature. Especially if you get hungry at random times... or arrive late, etc.... they make great burgers, sandwiches and the fries are addicting. I head Cuba had bad food.... I definitely did not see that here.

Rooms:
Yes the rooms are old. Did you come to Cuba to spend all your time in your room? It has a bed, it has a balcony, it has a TV, it has a maid who cleans it for you and it has a bathroom (with a decent shower). What else do you need? The beds are hard, yes. But, I seriously had the best sleeps I've had in a while. Maybe it was all the hours in the sun... and the drinks.... but I didnt really notice it too much.

Staff:
Excellent. Not much else to say. They smile and make conversation. They act like they want to be there. The manager walks around checking on things and talking to people. Couldn't have been better.

Entertainment:
The best I've seen at an all-inclusive. Usually resorts have an entertainment team who does all the night shows... which are mostly lame. The Blau hires different acts from the city who all do something different on various nights. A couple nights were so-so.... but some were awesome. Sunday night's water show was impressive... the magician who did tricks for our table while we had drinks in the snack bar was seriously talented... and the cover band was ridiculous. I usually think night shows at all-inclusives are "meh" but some of the nights here were good. This coming from a group of 25 year olds.

Drinks:
Lots of them. And good. Mojitos in the lobby bar are awesome. Cappuccinos anywhere on this resort are terrific. Go to Canadian Tire and buy a Bubba Mug, it will save you going back and forth to the bar, and will keep your drink cold.

Overall the resort had everything I wanted, and it was small which gave it a nice quaint feel. It has charm considering it's age, and it would be hard to beat the value here for the price point. It would be hard to have a bad time here. Have fun!

Room Tip: We were in building 5, and didn't have any issues. Great location to the pool/buffet etc. The ni...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Danza3423
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ottawa
Reviewed 25 February 2012

First time in Cuba and definitely not the last! I read tons of reviews before deciding on Blau, so I knew what to expect:
Beach - beautiful, water very shallow for a bit (and rocky, but I was fine going in and out barefoot, just watch where you're stepping.) Snorkeling was great, it was my first time and every day I ventured further and further out and saw some great sights (beautiful fish - bring bananas! they loove them, and we got some great underwater pics of us feeding them right out of our hands. There were also camouflaged fish, eels, octopus, squids. You don't have to go far at all to see the fish, but it's definitely way more exciting/scary to get way out there! and that's where we saw the cooler stuff too. No sandflea spottings or weird bites either. I brought Off but never used it.
We didn't wake up early and "claim" chairs like some annoying people do. We were at the beach by 11am everyday and still found a chair and a great spot, shade or sun depending on what we wanted. Beach is a bit crowded, we ventured a bit to the left for some space. (Nobody hangs out far left..it's closer to the other resort, Playa Presquero? and nobody seems to sit in the middle on the border of the 2 resorts. and feel free to roam the whole beach, it has 2 other resorts on it, but you are welcome to sit anywhere you like.)
Food - I eat anything, I'm not picky so I had noo issues. However, I did notice the meat was lacking variety (however there's a cook to order meat station where you can get chewy chicken, I'd use the Indian sauce at the condiment station so good! also has fish, squid, beef, etc) There were always lots of vegetables, which I enjoyed. Fruit was repetitive lots of papaya bananas and pineapple. But I ate it everyday! Buffet did use leftovers and turn it into a new dish, which was fine by me. My bf complained about the food a little, found it hard to get his protein, and he played it safe, didn't try anything new. (His complaints were the burgers - weird, chewy beef, he couldn't eat his burger. But I ate mine no problems. Definitely not the best burger ever though like some reviewers claim. He also didn't like the cheese and avoided everything with it.) The pizzas at Italian restaurant were ok, light on toppings/thin crust. I got Hawaiian but with bacon instead.) Italian a la carte - I had the salmon. Don't do it! It's weird, comes in a foil bag and includes microwaved vegetables. Vey plain, even for a girl who will eat anything. I should have had lasanga or something more Italian. The cuban a la carte - I had the stuffed squid. (I'd never actually had squid before, I was being brave. But since I like seafood I figured why not? It was good, had lobster/mussels/seafood in it.) My bf ordered the orange chicken - nothing orange or citrusy about it. The cuban soup was good. All in all, I ate well and plentiful. There something for everyone you just have to check all options. Oh yes, and the omelets were awesome!
Rooms - Stayed in Block 1 (I had emailed resort a week prior to going) It was quiet, clean, no complaints. Maybe a bit dated/old as my bf pointed out, but I didn't notice until he said it. (Who goes to a beach resort for a nice room? You're barely in it!) and yes, beds are quite hard. I'm petite and found it horrible on my shoulders/hips cutting in to me the first night. woke up the first morning with sore shoulders.But after the first day it was fine. Entertainment - great shows. The singers were awesome, the guitar player rocked! Aqua show good, although they must have been having a bad night as everyone kept falling/being dropped,etc.
I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this trip. Can not comment on the pool (looked ok, but never really hung around there, just passed through.) Can't comment on the disco either, although I would have looved to check it out my bf's an old man and could not be bothered to go. Staff was all very nice, except for one lady at reception was kind of rude/annoying when I needed help with my key not working. But I just got help elsewhere and it was fine! Be nice to them, they will be more than accomodating. If they are not, ask someone else!
Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MiniMeg27
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was my 3rd. time at the Blau Costa Verde in the last 10 months. This time I stayed for 2 weeks, I was there from January 19 & returned home on February 2. I apologize for not writing before now but I helped my brother to move houses.

This time I travelled with Air Canada for the first time in many years & I can't really say I was impressed. Toronto airport outbound was a bit confusing because they (AC) changed departure gates 3 times but without making an announcement. I had also paid extra to book my seat in advance about 3 weeks before travelling & asked my travel agent to get me an aisle seat as close to the front of the plane as possible (to be early at Cuban immigration), which she did while I was sitting with her. She got me on row 19, so imagine how surprised I was tio hear a fellow traveller say she got row 8 two days earlier.

Check in was a breeze because my Cuban partner & I took a taxi from the airport because Air Canada would not allow me to book an airport transfer for my friend and so we beat everyone else by an hour.

I had emailed the hotel PR people and asked them to pre-book our specialty restaurants for us which they did. The last time we were at the hotel (last October) we had stayed in room 1113, which we really liked & had requested again. We were given room 1119 instead which I was disappointed by, because we both like to sit outside in the afternoon to talk & read but found that to be impossible in the room we were assigned because we had the full sun. Room 1113 has a large overhang (1119 doesn't) so we had shade in the afternoon. Having said that, the room itself was immaculate.

I can't say enough good things about the staff, the gardener always bid me a good morning when I sat on the room terrace in the morning as did everyone else I came in contact with. The grounds are beautifully kept, and we were allowed to plant a tree (as regulars) in the "Friendship Forest", it is a mango and has a stone with our names & the type of tree printed on it.

There had been quite a number of people who had stomach trouble before we arrived and so the new head chef Dennis from the DR had the fridges cleaned out & ordered that no food was to be recycled, so for a few days there were no shrimp on the buffet or the menus at the specialty restaurants. Fresh salmon baked "en papillotte" (hope I spelled that right) was a very acceptable substitute, which I enjoyed several times.
In general, I found the food to be of very high quality if a little repetitious by the end of the second week. However I always found something good to eat at every meal, the staff in all of the restaurants are the best. Rebeca (and yes, I know it's not the English way of spelling it) & her crew In the Italian restaurant always stand out as does Damisella in the buffet.

The bar staff are quite simply amazing, efficient, polite & really good fun when you get to know them. I can’t say enough good things about any of them, but really special to me are Nelson, Hilda, Eduardo, Mindri and Sonelly; these are people I would like as friends anywhere.

A comment about visitors & tipping. I find it very hard to believe how few people actually tip, even when they get absolutely great service. According to my friends, in order of best to worst tippers goes like this: Canadians (not of QC) Americans (yes they do get some) Brits, French Canadians (this is surprising when tipping is expected in QC) Germans, French & Italians. The staff make about 400 Cuban pesos per month, the rate of exchange is 25 Cuban pesos for 1 Cuban Convertible peso. I actually saw someone leave a 10 peso coin & another leave 2 pence as tips. What miserable people they must be. I don't know about readers of this, but a couple of CuC's for good friendly service means nothing to me, but means a great deal to those who serve us. They have a job, not a career or vocation.

Jose Maria the manager does an absolutely fabulous job, he is literally everywhere all of the time, as are Misael & chef Dennis, they look & correct what they see as deficiencies on the spot. Congratulations & keep up the good work.

The hotel is still scheduled to close for renovations sometime this year, but it isn't yet set in concrete exactly when, so it is my intention to return at the end of April before the expected 6 month closure.

Room Tip: The rooms in block 1 are the quietest, while those on the opposite side of the property are closest...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank harty68
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Went to this resort by recommendation of family! Wow! Very disappointed as the place was so run down. Curtain rods hanging off the wall, lamp shades so soiled with water stains, no light in the room except for one lamp, as the second one didn't work, and white stains on the throw cushions for the bed. Also, pillows smelled like ones that were used for years without changing. Pillows take on an oily head smell-which is what ours smelt like, yuck. Food was poor. Got so sick!!! Smell of sewage was so strong and discovered the sewage plant, which was a wooden box on the surface of the ground, was sitting just behind the snack bar and the restaurant!! Not going to Cuba anymore!! I don't recommend this resort, either!! Sorry Blau!!!
Disappointed

Room Tip: not at this resort!!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Laz R
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Blau Costa Verde February 9-16, 2012 and LOVED it.
Room:
We booked an OceanView Room. It cost around 50 bucks more per person, but was totally worth it. We stayed in room 1315, and it had a king sized bed. I would say try to get 2 doubles if you can, because the king was VERY hard, and we heard from other guests that the 2 doubles werent so bad. Honestly, that was the only thing wrong with our room. We had a balconey with a fantastic ocean view. The tv in the room has satellite which includes Canadian and American channels, so there's always something to watch. The bathroom was clean and HUGE. The block we stayed in was far enough away from everything that noise wasnt really a problem. One night we could hear the show going on, but honestly, it only goes until 11, and it really wasnt THAT loud. Our maid Nivia was a sweetheart. Our room was always spotless and we never ran out of anything.

Staff:
The staff were very accomodating and friendly.

Food/Drinks:
The poolside bar has a cappuccino machine, and I highly recommend those. SO good!
The buffet has a good variety of food, and they have an omelette and waffle station for breakfast, and spaghetti station at dinner. Both REALLY good. (Also, the buffet has crepes, and those are DELISH!) The buffet servers are a bit slow on asking you if you want drinks, but not a huge deal. Although they did run out of ketchup a lot, so maybe bring some with you. All in all the buffet is pretty good. You just have to be careful and pay attention to what you're eating. Make sure your food is cooked properly.
The Italian restaurant makes thin crust pizza every day from 1230-230, and they're AMAZING! We went there for lunch every day. The italian restaurant at dinner is really good too.
The Surf and Turf restaurant was alright. It's by the ocean, so there's bugs and stuff, but the food was pretty good, and it's dark and romantic.
We didnt get to try the Cuban restaurant because my boyfriend got food poisoning (He ate a hard boiled egg that wasnt cooked properly. He said he saw the white part was still runny but decided to eat it anyways. Like I said, pay attention to what you're eating), but I heard it's good.

The Beach:
Beautiful. My one complaint would be that it's hard to find shade though because the umbrellas get taken pretty early. There's tons of room on the beach though. And the coral is fantastic for scuba diving. Maybe bring water shoes though because there is a lot of coral and you step on it sometimes going into the water. But it's not a huge deal. I didnt wear them and I didnt get any cuts or scrapes.

All in all this was a fanstastic hotel. If you pay attention to what you're eating, you'll be fine. Dont believe the negative reviews. This place really is a gem.

Room Tip: Block 1 is where you want to be. And send them an email a few days before you leave requesting that...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank anastasiabeaverhouse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
4.0 km away
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
#12 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
3.5 of 5 bubbles 6,409 reviews

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK