Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Holguin
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
Islazul Villa Don Lino(Rafael Freyre)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Pernik(Holguin)
7,896 results
All reviewssnack barpizzafishitalian restaurantcigar loungewater shoeschickena la carte restaurantshot dogsfriesaqua barpaddle boatssand fleastwo weeksnew sectionpicky eaterwater polo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We just returned from two weeks at the Costa Verde with a group of 13 friends and family that have travelled to a lot of places together...it was amazing. We read all the reviews before we left and a found a lot of negative info...but I have to say we could find little to complain about!!!
The staff was amazing and so friendly....my husband and I had travelled to Cuba on two other occassions and were hesitant about going back but we are certainly glad that the group talked us into it...the hotel was beautiful and the rooms were spacious and always kept clean...they were constantly working on keeping the gardens and property clean and fresh. We tried all of the al a carte restaurants and enjoyed them all...but my favorite was the Japanese and the Steak House...you did have to pay extra for the Steak House...$15 pesos but the lobster they served there was sooooo worth it...
The buffet was also delcious and the stations for homemade pizza, pasta and fish were well worth the wait in line...the cook stations were also amazing in the morning for eggs and omelettes made anyway you like...two weeks there and I found little I didn`t like...I was just glad to fit into my jeans on the way home!!!
We did a couple of day trips to Holguin and Campino Taino...they were well worth the cost and you learned a lot about the culture and history of Cuba.
My husband and friend went diving 12 times during the course of our trip and loved every dive...the crew at the dive shop were great ...even the snorkelling in front of the resort was amazing. Take out a banana and you will see all kinds of fish...we spent many hours snorkelling and exploring the waters.
The beach and pool was always clean and lots of chairs were available...a few days we found at the beach they ran out of chairs by 10.30 in the morning but by afternoon more were available. They have amazing sunsets which we enjoyed.
The only negative I can say about the resort was the house wine...our group usually bought other wine available from Chile for dinners as the red wine was not very good...the cost was reasonable about 13 pesos per bottle...but worth it. They have a beer garden that opens at 4 and actually has Corona and Crystal in bottles which our group enjoyed everyday on the way back to our rooms....they have an ice cream parlour..also on our way back to our rooms...
They have vendors setup on the way to the beach which was interesting to explore as they change everyday...and the prices were great.
The walk to the beach was through a natural conservation area and if you got up early enough you could go down and see the hundreds of birds that nested there in the evening.
We celebrated three birthdays there and the staff went out of their way to make it a special day for everyone....if you are thinking about this resort do not hesitate to go....we all agreed that we would certainly go back to this hotel...and as an added bonus if you go five times the sixth stay is free...there were lots of repeat visitors...some it was their 18th time and they said they come back time and time again because the staff treat you like family ....we certainly did feel welcomed.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank jandavels
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Best part about vacation was snorkelling off the shore. Very safe so our 6-9 yo kids were able to snorkle and see a lot of beatifull sea animals.

Food was absolutely great for Cuba. We ate mostly grilled meats and seafood/fish. Other items were average.

Rooms were clean and everything works up to the standard.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TaniaBToronto
Reviewed 25 February 2012

First time in Cuba and definitely not the last! I read tons of reviews before deciding on Blau, so I knew what to expect:
Beach - beautiful, water very shallow for a bit (and rocky, but I was fine going in and out barefoot, just watch where you're stepping.) Snorkeling was great, it was my first time and every day I ventured further and further out and saw some great sights (beautiful fish - bring bananas! they loove them, and we got some great underwater pics of us feeding them right out of our hands. There were also camouflaged fish, eels, octopus, squids. You don't have to go far at all to see the fish, but it's definitely way more exciting/scary to get way out there! and that's where we saw the cooler stuff too. No sandflea spottings or weird bites either. I brought Off but never used it.
We didn't wake up early and "claim" chairs like some annoying people do. We were at the beach by 11am everyday and still found a chair and a great spot, shade or sun depending on what we wanted. Beach is a bit crowded, we ventured a bit to the left for some space. (Nobody hangs out far left..it's closer to the other resort, Playa Presquero? and nobody seems to sit in the middle on the border of the 2 resorts. and feel free to roam the whole beach, it has 2 other resorts on it, but you are welcome to sit anywhere you like.)
Food - I eat anything, I'm not picky so I had noo issues. However, I did notice the meat was lacking variety (however there's a cook to order meat station where you can get chewy chicken, I'd use the Indian sauce at the condiment station so good! also has fish, squid, beef, etc) There were always lots of vegetables, which I enjoyed. Fruit was repetitive lots of papaya bananas and pineapple. But I ate it everyday! Buffet did use leftovers and turn it into a new dish, which was fine by me. My bf complained about the food a little, found it hard to get his protein, and he played it safe, didn't try anything new. (His complaints were the burgers - weird, chewy beef, he couldn't eat his burger. But I ate mine no problems. Definitely not the best burger ever though like some reviewers claim. He also didn't like the cheese and avoided everything with it.) The pizzas at Italian restaurant were ok, light on toppings/thin crust. I got Hawaiian but with bacon instead.) Italian a la carte - I had the salmon. Don't do it! It's weird, comes in a foil bag and includes microwaved vegetables. Vey plain, even for a girl who will eat anything. I should have had lasanga or something more Italian. The cuban a la carte - I had the stuffed squid. (I'd never actually had squid before, I was being brave. But since I like seafood I figured why not? It was good, had lobster/mussels/seafood in it.) My bf ordered the orange chicken - nothing orange or citrusy about it. The cuban soup was good. All in all, I ate well and plentiful. There something for everyone you just have to check all options. Oh yes, and the omelets were awesome!
Rooms - Stayed in Block 1 (I had emailed resort a week prior to going) It was quiet, clean, no complaints. Maybe a bit dated/old as my bf pointed out, but I didn't notice until he said it. (Who goes to a beach resort for a nice room? You're barely in it!) and yes, beds are quite hard. I'm petite and found it horrible on my shoulders/hips cutting in to me the first night. woke up the first morning with sore shoulders.But after the first day it was fine. Entertainment - great shows. The singers were awesome, the guitar player rocked! Aqua show good, although they must have been having a bad night as everyone kept falling/being dropped,etc.
I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this trip. Can not comment on the pool (looked ok, but never really hung around there, just passed through.) Can't comment on the disco either, although I would have looved to check it out my bf's an old man and could not be bothered to go. Staff was all very nice, except for one lady at reception was kind of rude/annoying when I needed help with my key not working. But I just got help elsewhere and it was fine! Be nice to them, they will be more than accomodating. If they are not, ask someone else!
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MiniMeg27
Reviewed 25 February 2012

This was our 2nd time to Cuba (1st time was to Varadero) and it was a toss up so I let my husband choose. I will say he has excellent taste. I had read alot of trip advisor reviews and had it narrrowed down to 2resorts. For the money and time of year and what we received I felt it was a trip worth doing again and again. I did email the resort beforehand and got exactly the room I wanted in the area I wanted. Pedro was very helpful in this.

It was our wedding anniversary on Valentine's Day and they had done the most amazing Lobster/Seafood/Steak grilling dinner for the whole resort!! Pedro was kind enough to remember and sent a bottle of champange to our room as a surprise. We also received another bottle from the wonderful waitress who served us that evening. All the girls from the front desk, to bartenders, to the a la Carte reservation associate and the cooks at the grilling station as well the waitresses were wonderful at helping me with my Spanish (learned sooo much).Muchas gracias mi amigos!!!

Loved the walk on the boardwalk to the beach each day as it added a breath of serenity to my day watching the birds. I am rather dismayed at the fact that it is mainly guests and vistors that drop their cans and debris in the wildlife areas and the beach.
If people have a problem with the food there they should maybe take a look at their diet. The food is so local and natural for the most part. It tastes so much better than processed or GMOed. LOVED their pizzas and fresh fish everyday. I was impressed that you could choose to have salt or spices on all the things grilled or not. My husband could not get enough of the OX each day as it tasted better than grade A beef here. The Japanese was fun and delicious but the Cuban was not very good the night we went. My husbands comment was it was like "shoe leather" and my lobster was too dry and overdone. Could have been an off night. Never waited too long getting food grilled or fresh made. Drinks never tasted watered down (actually quite potent). Ask for their yummy Playa Costa Verde signature drink.

The rooms were clean and tidybut the beds are hard (need to bring a inflatable camping mattress next time). The only thing I would add is I wish that they would us some sort of cleaner/sanitizer in the bathroom floors/toilets in the rooms (my clean fetish).

We went into Gadadalavaca on the open top bus and it was great! The secenery there is breathtaking and the musicans in the market square were great. The trip to the museum and to the Indian village were informative and entertaining. I would recommend doing it. The other side trip was the 1/2 day swimming with the dolphins. HIGHLY recommend this one for sure. Memory of a lifetime. Weather was wonderful. Was careful walking out to the sea but I always found a place to be able to get to the great water and soak. Never a problem finding shade if I needed it on the beach or getting lounge chairs.
Already planning next years return. Making sure we combine it with our sons wedding in El Salvadore as we do not want to miss out.

Room Tip: Corner balcony on the second floor in the 4400 to 5000 area and if you want to be closer to the beach and less noise still 3300 are good.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 58renaud
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was my 3rd. time at the Blau Costa Verde in the last 10 months. This time I stayed for 2 weeks, I was there from January 19 & returned home on February 2. I apologize for not writing before now but I helped my brother to move houses.

This time I travelled with Air Canada for the first time in many years & I can't really say I was impressed. Toronto airport outbound was a bit confusing because they (AC) changed departure gates 3 times but without making an announcement. I had also paid extra to book my seat in advance about 3 weeks before travelling & asked my travel agent to get me an aisle seat as close to the front of the plane as possible (to be early at Cuban immigration), which she did while I was sitting with her. She got me on row 19, so imagine how surprised I was tio hear a fellow traveller say she got row 8 two days earlier.

Check in was a breeze because my Cuban partner & I took a taxi from the airport because Air Canada would not allow me to book an airport transfer for my friend and so we beat everyone else by an hour.

I had emailed the hotel PR people and asked them to pre-book our specialty restaurants for us which they did. The last time we were at the hotel (last October) we had stayed in room 1113, which we really liked & had requested again. We were given room 1119 instead which I was disappointed by, because we both like to sit outside in the afternoon to talk & read but found that to be impossible in the room we were assigned because we had the full sun. Room 1113 has a large overhang (1119 doesn't) so we had shade in the afternoon. Having said that, the room itself was immaculate.

I can't say enough good things about the staff, the gardener always bid me a good morning when I sat on the room terrace in the morning as did everyone else I came in contact with. The grounds are beautifully kept, and we were allowed to plant a tree (as regulars) in the "Friendship Forest", it is a mango and has a stone with our names & the type of tree printed on it.

There had been quite a number of people who had stomach trouble before we arrived and so the new head chef Dennis from the DR had the fridges cleaned out & ordered that no food was to be recycled, so for a few days there were no shrimp on the buffet or the menus at the specialty restaurants. Fresh salmon baked "en papillotte" (hope I spelled that right) was a very acceptable substitute, which I enjoyed several times.
In general, I found the food to be of very high quality if a little repetitious by the end of the second week. However I always found something good to eat at every meal, the staff in all of the restaurants are the best. Rebeca (and yes, I know it's not the English way of spelling it) & her crew In the Italian restaurant always stand out as does Damisella in the buffet.

The bar staff are quite simply amazing, efficient, polite & really good fun when you get to know them. I can’t say enough good things about any of them, but really special to me are Nelson, Hilda, Eduardo, Mindri and Sonelly; these are people I would like as friends anywhere.

A comment about visitors & tipping. I find it very hard to believe how few people actually tip, even when they get absolutely great service. According to my friends, in order of best to worst tippers goes like this: Canadians (not of QC) Americans (yes they do get some) Brits, French Canadians (this is surprising when tipping is expected in QC) Germans, French & Italians. The staff make about 400 Cuban pesos per month, the rate of exchange is 25 Cuban pesos for 1 Cuban Convertible peso. I actually saw someone leave a 10 peso coin & another leave 2 pence as tips. What miserable people they must be. I don't know about readers of this, but a couple of CuC's for good friendly service means nothing to me, but means a great deal to those who serve us. They have a job, not a career or vocation.

Jose Maria the manager does an absolutely fabulous job, he is literally everywhere all of the time, as are Misael & chef Dennis, they look & correct what they see as deficiencies on the spot. Congratulations & keep up the good work.

The hotel is still scheduled to close for renovations sometime this year, but it isn't yet set in concrete exactly when, so it is my intention to return at the end of April before the expected 6 month closure.

Room Tip: The rooms in block 1 are the quietest, while those on the opposite side of the property are closest to the expansion work, whihch begins at 7:00 am 6 days per week
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple