1,052 results
All reviews the main street ferry terminal centre of town new zealand free wifi comfortable beds place to stay the managers motel hosts accommodation nz unit cafes kitchenette heater waterfront
Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

Have recently stayed at Picton Gateway Motel. What enticed me was price point at only $129 for the night in a one bedroom unit for 2 adults and 2 kids that is pretty good going. The location was pretty handy being right in the centre of picton you had all the eaterys at your doorstep and parking was plentiful (although not right at your unit parking for some units so be prepared to get soaked like we did walking from car to unit on a wet winter evening haha) the service at the desk was good, the room was comfortable with 2 heaters which helped to keep it warm. No noise from the road, surrounding units or town centre even though it was all quite busy which was great we all had good qaulity sleep with very comfortable beds. There has been an attempt to modernise the rooms but it is dated obviously with the motel being of an older era. Some things were a little worn and worn out and we found all the cords and what not that were all up the walls etc a little frightening for our small kids ( strangle risk) and the unit was drafty. It was missing the helpful touches like a compendium and motel info and it needed more loo paper etc cleanliness was a bit hit and miss around the unit. The bathroom was clean but kitchen area including cups and utensils were dusty and a bit unclean. I like how it was set up for 4 people. Often in motels you have to ask for extra linen but plenty was supplied. It made do for a one nighter but don't expect too much.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2018

An older style of motel but absolutely perfect for what I needed , Having come off a late Ferry I only had to go about 500 metres and I was there, Plenty of parking for trailers etc right outside . A good clean tidy room with a good comfortable bed , Good value for money and a good place to begin or end a South Island trip.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2018

We stayed at the Gateway Motel for 3 nights as part of a 3 week holiday to New Zealand from the UK. The location could not be faulted, we had most of the bars and restaurants within a stone's through of our front door and it was clean and comfortable.
Picton itself is very quaint and we used it as a base to go on a Marlborough wine tour, a walk/hike, and day of just relaxing and watching the world go by at a quiet pace.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2018

Ferry not operational due to Bad seas, with no apparent change in weather, my crossing was moved from Tuesday to possibly Saturday , I booked in and informed that I may be there until Saturday, Told I would have to pay in advance ( no Problem ) , 4 days paid $500-00 , The crunch came when Ferries began sailing , and I managed to get a early booking , Went to check out , expecting a credit refund of $250-00 , was initially told that the Owners had a policy of no refunds , This has never in over 40 years in the Tourism industry happened to me , after a compromise ,I was told that they ( Motel Policy) did not have facilities to Credit through Visa Card and if I wanted a refund I had to produce my Bank details, this has been done and the next day a credit was put through , I will never pay in advance for services more that a day at a time , If in Picton please note and check before booking to far ahead ,, Now that my Beef is over , I had room 27 , i cant say a bad word about it , was very Clean , comfortable , and was well priced , Great location in the main Street , very little noise , so I did enjoy my stay with Gateway Motel , Just not the Owners Policies regarding refunds , as many Clients come from Cancelled Sailings , there should be flexibility as the Management should be aware , most clients just wish to get on the ferry North , ,

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be of the same Clean Standard , if in doubt , just ask to be shown
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank grumps2_11
Reviewed 31 March 2018

I found the photos on the website a bit deceiving as the room and buildings are looking a bit old and tired in reality. However we did arrive in the rain and left in the rain which did not help. Good restaurants in the neighbourhood. A late check out was not possible but they did offer us a parking place till we left for the ferry. The shower scared me a bit as the floor was very slippery and the fact that cars parked at the back of the building and some were enjoying letting their motors reving up, kept us awake.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple