“Good food, service needs work”

Restaurant Schuetzen
Ranked #15 of 17 Restaurants in Lauterbrunnen
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Diner, Pizza, Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Schützen is a hotel and restaurant situated at the heart of the Bernese Oberland. It is not just the food that makes it a popular venue. The landscape of the Lauterbrunnen Valley - the so-called ?Valley of Waterfalls? - will take your breath away. The restaurant is situated at the foot of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau and visitors can enjoy a wide range of sporting activities and the splendours of the natural environment. The menu serves local and international dishes. There is a particularly good selection of fondues, röstis and raclettes. The railway station at Lauterbrunnen is only a 5 minute walk away and the bus stop is just in front of the building.
Reviewed 7 August 2018

We dined on the outdoor patio for lunch in July 2018. My wife had the salad with chicken, our grandson had the Berner rosti, I had the schweinsrahmschnitze. All very good. It was the waiter who lowered the rating on this restaurant. When my wife asked for more mustard and water, he looked at her and found something else to do. A kind woman at the next table saw what was going on, called over her waitress and the waitress got us what we needed. If dining here and the male waiter has your table, move!

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 18 July 2018

Rosti was not very good and the service was also bad. The deck is nice, but it doesn't compensate for bad food.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 1 July 2018

Restaurant has a nice patio and is pleasantly laid out inside. Food, however, was disappointing. I had a pizza, which was not fully cooked. My wife has spaghetti bolognaise. While the portion was generous, it was average. There were only 2 waiters for a large number of tables. Our waiter was clearly overwhelmed . He was literally running between tables and to / from the kitchen. We felt really sorry for him. But we also felt a bit stressed.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Despite being in a prime location in the centre of Lauterbrunnen, our evening meal at this restaurant was pretty ordinary. We chose the traditional cheese fondue which was lacking in flavour and expensive. The waiter was overworked and the service was poor. We decided to go to the desk to pay and still had to wait a long time. It was overall a disappointing experience.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

We took the easy hike from stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen and stopped here for a drink and snack. It was 3:30 and not busy. 10 min before the waitress came over. The guy next to us noticed and told us “they’re pretty slow here”. Finally she came over and it took another 10 before she returned to take the order, which was 2 beers and a bowl of soup. The soup was good but the service ruined it. As we had a reservation for paragliding when she delivered the food I asked for the bill. It didn’t come. 5 min later I used the WC and inside I asked for the bill a second time in both English and German. Still didn’t come. We had to go so as to not be late. I calculated the bill to be less than 20 CHF so I left a 20 frank bill on the table and we left. 2 min later the waitress chases after us waving a bill for 19.20. I said next time check the table; you were late.

With so many decent restaurants to choose from around here I’d go elsewhere.