All reviews convenient location lauterbrunnen train station cable car restaurant downstairs two singles longer stay base to explore swiss chalet small hotel included breakfast would stay here again switzerland mountains balcony luggage stechelberg village
Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

I think probably the worst restaurant we have ever eaten! Staff incompetent .... indeed just downright rude. Food pretty poor and totally overpriced. My sons pizza arrived 20min after all the rest of the meals had been finished, that was only 15 minutes after the fries we had ordered. The parmesan never arrived!

What a disgrace! Waitress seemed to think it was all rather funny and wouldnt take a cent off bill despite the appalling service. Do yourself a favour and get crisps from vending machine opposite in co-op car park.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2018

Stayed here for 3 nights over Lauberhorn race weekend, we are long time Wengen visitors but wanted a cost-effective and convenent base to stay in outside the village.Hotel Steinbock exceeded our expectations. We had two rooms in the part of the hotel across the street, both were ensuite , very clean (and cleaned every day), comfortable, not noisy at all.
Breakfast was included and was an excellent buffet-style with fresh breads/rolls,preserves,many different meats and cheeses,fresh fruit,yoghurt, and you could boil eggs in an easy to use boiler.Coffee,tea,and hot chocolate were served to the table. Excellent and exceeded expecations again.
Staff were friendly and attentive.
Location excellent for the train to Wengen or Interlaken, and the cable car to Murren.
We ate at the hotel restaurant one evening and this was good too, all the dishes we expected to find in a Swiss mountain restaurant.

Loved our stay, recommended

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

I stayed here one night and wasn't entirely impressed... my room wasn't that cheap (definitely overpriced), it had a bad smell from the moment you opened the door, never was able to quite put my finger on it. The room was large enough, the bedding clean and comfortable, but very basic. The bathroom was very tight. The towels a bit worn and the shower head in the shower could have done with being replaced.

One big drawback is this hotel's proximity to the train station. I had a room overlooking the train station: not only can you hear the wheels screeching on the rails, you can actually feel the vibrations from the trains in your room. Doesn't make for a super peaceful night...

Breakfast was ok, but to be honest, the fresh fruit on offer looked like it had seen better days.

The only plus for me was the free parking. Not much more... the hotel could really do with being renovated...

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2017

We booked this Hotel for our visit to Shilthorn for two days. Basically, we were waiting to stay in Swiss Hotel, small and cozy, but was not. They put us in another horrible building next to a Coop ( Market) and a bank. We asked them why there did that, and they told us that rooms there were a little more comfortable, but in the web site did not say anything about other room.No elevator, to go to the first floor you have to walk 25 stairs, they do not help at all. The only good thing about this was free parking and free breakfast, but do not expect to much. If you can afford to pay a little bit more, stay in other hotel. I download some pics.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2017

A large restaurant occupies the ground floor of this hotel right next to the train station. While the initial impression wasn't too good as I had to haul my heavy luggage up the stairs to my room, I was quite content that the room was quite big with a wash basin so I don't need to run to the shared bathroom often. The shared bathroom had 2 separate parts - the toilet on the other end of the hallway is separate from the shower area. Although the toilet area was a bit dark and cramped, the shower room was roomy and clean. The satellite TV had an amazing range of channels that I never thought existed. Staff were friendly and the complimentary breakfast was very well-stocked.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo