“Cold and damp” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Roofs Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Riga
Red Roofs Hotel
Ranked #102 of 108 Hotels in Riga
Vilnius, Lithuania
“Cold and damp”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We have stayed in this hotel for two nights at end of March 2012. Location was great, staff was friendly although these are all the good things I can mention about this hotel. We have got big suite with separate bedroom and once we entered the room it was so cold – you never wanted to take your coats of. It was about minus 1 C outside during night and up to +10 during the day, but both batteries in the room remained dead cold. I have asked for a heater at reception, but the one I got was very small and didn’t do much at all. The suite still was cold and damp. The hot water was not hot at all. It was just bearable to take the shower. I am wondering if they didn’t have problems with Legionella before. The towel dryer in the bathroom remained cold all the time; no one changed our towels, so we had to use the same damp ones every day. The drain in the shower was blocked, and I only realized that once the water from shower reached the door of the bathroom.
Breakfast was average – two choices of cereal, some meat, cheese, milk, yogurt, tea and coffee.
I would definitely recommend skipping this hotel, there are plenty of better hotels in the old town at the same price range.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Simonas G
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sale
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at Red Roofs and it was OK. I would have to say that it was nothing particularily special but nothing to complain about, either. Located right in the Old Town, opposite St Johns Church, it is the ideal location for exploring the city. The 2 girls I dealt with were pleasant and spoke good English and the reception was manned 24hrs a day. My room was small - about 2 metres by 2 metres, with just a bed, wardrobe, small table and small sofa but it was warm and clean. The breakfast wasn't great, 2 choices of cereal, 2 cold meats, some cheese and yoghurt, with coffee from the machine in reception and some bread. As a cheap option - 16 Lats per night - it was fine and if I visit Riga again, then I would bear this place in mind.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank SaleDamc
France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

We had a wonderful time in Red Roofs Hotel - stayed for our honeymoon. The staff was amazing nothing was to much trouble! Clean and comfortable rooms. Warmly recommend. Also we wish to recommend family restaurant Alibi near the hotel. It’s very tasty grilled dishes in Latvian traditional style and romantic atmosphere. We tried grilled venison with peas puree and red wine sauce. It was fantastic taste.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alex B
South San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

I stayed here in a single room with shared bathroom for just one night.

The bathroom was a really bathroom, not a dorm bath. Very clean. Felt like I was staying in a room in someone's country manor instead of a hostel, though I was paying hostel prices.

Incredibly cute room. Possibly the cutest room I've ever stayed in. Modern medieval? I think that the bed may have been shorter than a normal-length bed (just like they are when you pay money to see those really old mansions and palaces and you wonder whether people were just way shorter a long time ago). Luckily, I'm only 5'1" so a shorter bed didn't bother me at all.

Location was excellent. Right in old town, but not next to a thumping night club.

My only quibble was that internet wasn't very strong in the rooms upstairs; only in the lobby downstairs. The receptionist told me that their internet guru was on holiday for 3 weeks, so maybe that's not a typical problem.

All in all, a very satisfying short stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank nlgenxer
Warsaw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

I stayed at Red Roofs Hotel in Riga with my wife during our trip to Baltic countries. We booked one double room through booking.com, but when we arrived to Riga all the doubles were occupied. We were given an apartment instead. I want to stress that this decision was automatic and not forced by us. We appreciated our apartment. You have to take into account that this is rather a budget place and even apartment, although very nice, was kind of budget (but spacious).
The location is fantastic - you are literally in the middle of action, but on a very quiet street. If you don't want to overpay and still want to stay in Riga's Old Town, it's a good choice.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple