“Tasty, some dishes a bit too sweet. Leisurely service. Come early and hungry with plenty of time!”
Review of RADHARANE

RADHARANE
Ranked #80 of 320 Restaurants in Kaunas
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 10
Description: Great vegetarian restaurant/cafe in Kaunas.
Description: Great vegetarian restaurant/cafe in Kaunas.
Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

We 3 middle-aged Brits are on a three week tour of the Baltics 10 years after our first tour to see the changes.

On our second day we decided to have a late lunch. I'd found Eiti on the guest house wifi and ventured out. My 4G collapsed so could not find Eiti so returned to the street we had reccied before to find this Vegetarian Indian style restaurant which we had noticed (not listed in TA unless one searched by name...grrrrr..). We ventured in having already rejected a Japanese meal choice earlier. We had been in Tamil Nadu earlier this year and are from a well endowed Tamil area in Lewisham, London so know our tastes in Indian (albeit there is a huge variety in Tamil Nadu let alone India or the anglicised Indian cuisine in England).

The quiet pleasantly decorated main room had Indian music quietly in the background. Upholstered benches were either side of each of the six tables. A couple were eating at 14:30 but we stayed and were happy as others arrived too, so obviously popular off the main drag. No tourists perceived!

The rather dour waitress quietly went about her business, and relied on eye contact to attract her after we had chosen from the menu.

The menus she had presented to us just after we sat down were quite extensive and very appetising. I chose the Assortment/Thali (selection of any four meals - Tamatar paneer, Paneer-spinach sauté, Cheese melt and Felafel for €8.50) and my friends the large Goulash and Benghazi sabdzi.

Alcohol free Amstel beer available .33l at €1.20/1.30 which was fine.

Two guys arrived and were obviously known, being presented with food very quickly, they had probably ordered ahead or were regulars.

Our drinks took a while, carrot juice first, The salt lassi actually had cumin and was thick (unlike a previous revue) and tasty.

Eventually the food came, probably because being prepared from scratch. The other diners had come and gone by 15:15 so we dined alone, our fault as late. It was all very relaxed so come hungry with plenty of time!

We shared the food between us. I found the goulash and Tamatar Paneer overly sweet and filling. Rice was good and sesame seeds on the salad a nice touch. The cheese on cheese was quite filling too, and we were all very full at the end of a relatively small meal (compared to hearty Lithuanian food!).

Overall my friends were happy as well sated, flavoured. My TP had come not hot enough and too sweet so I am not 100% impressed. 4/5 overall as a result (would have been 4.5/5 but cannot be 5/5).

It is 15:45, the music finished ten minutes ago and the waiting couple are chatting and she is has a nice smile so ought to share it with customers. No hurry for us to leave and no pressure either from them. We are taking our time to leave (writing this review now!) and also ready for a proper beer to wash the food down with.

Malai kofta, Marsala Dosai (crispy rolled pancakes) would be nice additions although from S India/Tamil area (although MD require a very hot wide plate so quite an investment).

We Could not see the Napoleon Cake referred to by others on the menu.

We later saw another dame name and style on the main new town avenue near St Michael the Archangel big church. It seems to be a chain. Maybe why it was not listed.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

I ate here twice on my stay both times for lunch.
The food was good and the service was too.
It is a good place for a single traveler to have a quick lunch that is well priced and tasty.

Reviewed 9 April 2017

Every vegetarian or even vegan should put this restaurant to his or her bucket list! Food here is really fresh and tasty. Love their tomato sauce and chickpeas.

Reviewed 29 March 2017 via mobile

This is one of my favorite places for having lunch, we usually come here with coworkers. My absolute favorite meal is called "Radharane"!

Reviewed 5 March 2017

For a long time I didn't have such a bad experience in Kaunas. Very slow service (many people simply left because waiting for menu took too long). Got my soup 40 minutes after ordering it and glass of water after 30 minutes. Only one girl doing everything and she was clearly unhappy with that. Bad service, also some things on menu were unavailable.

Conditioner was working so so loud. We were not the only ones who were disappointed. Anyway, the food was good. But overall experience - not. Will not return.