“Very good local bistro”

Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 14
Cuisines: Diner, Eastern European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Neighbourhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Castro Bistro is one of the legendary community places in Budapest. During the day it's a nice cosy place serving delicious daily menu - in the evenings it turns into a spontaneous and vibrant party. We have a wide selection of palinka and the short drinks will be measured the old fashioned way, 3 cl and 5 cl. A variety of international homemade dishes is on the menu. The kitchen is open until 11pm, but soups can be ordered until 11:30 pm. The daily menu is available from 12:00 am. We open exhibitions on a monthly basis and our little stage is available for live concerts. We have baby chair and a changing table. Bikers would find a pump and other tools. Bowls are ready to serve our furry friends when they are thirsty.Summertime we open a big sunny terrace. The place is air conditioned. Free Wi-Fi is available for our guests.
Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

I think this is place for local people?when we go we saw only local people!nothing special decoration but gives you a warm sense!!The goulash soup was super!In opinion one of the best I taste in Budapest!The salad with chicken very delicious!plus 3 beers only 18€!!!Also the stuff very friendly!

Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

The food is really bistro style. I had goulash soup and it was very good. I read on the menu a lot of dishes that seemed inviting but that's just an impression since I didn't have them.
I recommend booking maybe the day before because it's very busy.
The price is all right
Not as cheap as I thought it was but still ok.
Average is 1500 to 5000
Staff was nice and friendly and they gave us advices about the wine.
I could come back again

Reviewed 19 October 2016

Castro has been a fixture on the Budapest bar scene for some years now, and both myself and my friends ad long considered it a go-to place for informal get-togethers, thanks to its much improved beer, and reasonably priced, unpretentious and tasty food.
Along with that, the service was always casual and friendly, if a little imprecise, which somehow added to the charmingly rough atmosphere.

This is no longer the case.

On saturday the 15th of october, myself and a larger group of people booked a table to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. All of us are around 40 years old, and many of us hold senior political positions. We were served by a young gentleman with red trousers. His behaviour was, to be frank, absolutely ridiculous. When taking orders he seemed to be reasonably professional, if a little impatient. However, on two occasions my request to have soda water to accompany my wine were ignored.

Not a big thing, but it so happened that someone had brought a box of chocolates with 'Happy birthday' inscribed on the cover. The waiter repeatedly told us to put it away, in increasingly officious tones.

Maybe Castro thinks this is professional behaviour, maybe someone went on a trip to America and saw someone enforce that rule over there. Maybe this young man even considers himself cool.

He is not. He is breathtakingly incompetent. I have celebrated birthdays in several places in Budapest, and none of them would even think of making such a gesture.

By the time the evening was coming to an end, the young man became increasingly bossy, telling us that the restaurant would close in 15 minutes 'sharp', and that if we don't go up and pay our bills separately, he will immediately bring the bill for us to collectively sort out.

Neither I nor any of my friend's tolerate this kind of behaviour easily. He made our evening far less enjoyable than it would otherwise have been. I should add also, that the service at Castro has become increasingly inclined towards this kind of high-minded behaviour. So it is the last time I or my friends are going there. More to the point, I shall make sure that others are aware of what is happening at Castro and our experience there, and shall endeavour to direct friends and guests to the numerous alternative establishments in Budapest which have learned how to treat their customers with appropriate care and respect.

2  Thank zicodani
Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

Arrived from Serbia and of course decided to try Pljeskavica. We have it in Serbia too. Delighted with the taste and the way it is served and presented.
One of the best soufflés in my life! And everything was followed with good and profesional service!
Deserve this grade and I recommend to everyone!

1  Thank 396vladimirm
Reviewed 20 September 2016

This is a great place for lunch, recommended to us by a young woman at "Printa" the artist-run shop around the corner. For about 18 usd we got two amazing lunches, one of our best in Budapest. Hubbie had smoked goose breast on a big salad. I had chilled cucumber soup (delicious on a hot afternoon) and crunchy fried spinach-hummus. Plus 2 beers.

Date of visit: September 2016