“I was intentionally short-changed, amenities didn't work”
Review of City Hotel Unio

City Hotel Unio
Ranked #207 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
New Orleans, Louisiana
“I was intentionally short-changed, amenities didn't work”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The hotel has a nice restaurant in the lobby that provides ample and delicious meals (but look out--you may be the only one dining there at any time). However, when I paid for my meal, I was short-changed in the change that the old man tending the place gave back to me when I paid. It was the equivalent of 10 euros (in forints). Now, I don't speak Hungarian and the old man (waiter?) didn't speak English (as is very common in Hungary). But when I realized the error in change and produced it to show him, he had a look of recognition on his face and walked off to retrieve the missing change. He then gave me EXACTLY how much was missing from the first time he gave me my change back. I wondered how he knew, without me communicating to him, how much change was missing. I realized that it was because he did it intentionally. It was early January, there weren't a lot of people in the hotel, I figured business was slow, so maybe that's why he tried. However, if you stay here, beware.

Also, the advertised internet didn't work anywhere except the lobby on the hotel's computer. And the bed in my room was AWFULLY uncomfortable. Thin mattress with bed springs sticking in my back. I have stayed at nice, cheap places in Budapest. This place is neither nice or cheap, nor honest!

Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I am a frequent visitor to Budapest, and usually stay at one of the hotels near Blaha Lujza ter. This time, I saw Unio on one of the online booking sites - the price was excellent so I tried it. I think I may go back to Blaha Lujza ter next time.

For me, the most important shortcoming was the lack of a reliable internet connection in my room. The internet service is free and supposedly available in the rooms. When I asked at the front desk why it was not working in my room, I was advised to access the internet from the hotel lobby. From there, it worked fine, but that is really not acceptable in my opinion.

Having said that, if reliable internet is not an important requirement, then the Unio is a pleasant hotel.

The hotel is in a good location - one block from the main boulevard. The address is Dob Street, but the entrance is around the corner on Harsfa St. This location is about midway between stops on the 4/6 tram line. There is a grocery store and post office across the street, and the main boulevard has a wide selection of restaurants and many kinds of stores. The location is generally quiet.

The room was big, with high ceilings. Furnishings were so-so. I booked a twin room with single occupancy, so I had two small single beds. There was no other writing desk or real chair in the room. The mattresses were not very comfortable, although the pillows were very nice. Lighting was adequate.

I had the air conditioning running, but it didn't seem to do very much (except make a fan noise). Perhaps it was cooling a bit, but it never made a dramatic change in the temperature of the room. The shower was a small "cubicle" style shower common in Europe. The fixture to adjust the water volume and temperature was about waist-high, so several times when I turned around, I bumped the control and changed the water temperature quite dramatically. The shower pressure was fine, and the hot water was plentiful.

Breakfast was included in the very reasonable room rate, and was generous.

To summarize, the lack of reliable internet makes it impossible for me to recommend Hotel Unio. But if internet is not important, this is a good base in Budapest to be located in a very central location at a very good price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

A friend and I spent 3 nights at the end of March, it's in a great location, with excellent links to Metro, tram and buses. We walked to most places and it was easy to do, although a little tiring. The hotel is very clean, the rooms are spacious, there is plenty of storage space and the bathrooms are also big. The staff in the Hotel are very helpful and friendly. Breakfast is typically continental, but there is something for everyone, fruit, cereals, breads, cheese, ham, hot sausages, eggs. Tea and coffee. I would definitely recommend this hotel, and would certainly go back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Julie1943
Thessaloníki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The room was quite big and very clean. The location was perfect and it was very easy to go all around the city.
The next time we will choose the same hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lila D
Ireland
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed in the hotel for 7 nights in the middle of March. It is in a good location, just off the Grand Boulevard and a few minutes from the Octagon. The hotel is quiet with spacious rooms and good sized and clean bathrooms. Breakfast is not too bad and I reckon they also serve some of the left overs from the previous nights dinner. However, the hotel is excellent value for someone on a budget. Staff were pleasent.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms facing the courtyard.