“Hungarian fish soup at sunset and more”

Szegedi Halaszcsarda
Ranked #962 of 3,650 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

I wanted authentic fish soup and my hungarian cousins pointed me to this place. Very good choice. The menu is very rich and the waiter was very nice and helped us make the choice. Service very good, wonderfull fish soup, and also the fish we had was perfect. The view of the Danube in the sunset made the evening perfect. Traditional hungarian desserts well done.

Reviewed 25 July 2017

I am a frequent guest of the restaurant, but last night's experience made me decide not go to anymore. I reserved a table for 5 on last friday for monday night (last night) and I requested the table on the outside terrace. Last night when we arrived on time, the waiter said they are closed, we can't come in. I told them I reserved a table outside, they seemed they didn't know about it and didn't show their willingness to help to check or anything. Then they said "ok, you can go outside"... so when we arrived to the terrace, I see there was a table, and there were 5 forks and knifes on a plate on the table. I was like ok, it must be our table. Then we ordered a mixed plate and a grilled gooseliver, they brought fried gooseliver instead and the fried gooseliver was very thin and dry. When I asked them to change it, they made a new order for the grilled gooseliver, and I had to pay it at the end. I didn't want to argue with them in front of my guests, but definitely it wasn't a good experience. The quality of the food is getting worse and worse and the prices are high. Not going anymore!

Reviewed 28 June 2017

We went to this riverside restaurant with two Hungarian friends who warmly recommended the place. The menu had a lot of options and apparently the fish dishes are the thing here. I'm not a big fan of fish in general so I opted for the traditional gulyas soup, served with bread, and it was excellent!
We had crepes with apples for dessert and they were also delicious!
The location is nice, right on the Danube opposite Gellert Hill.
There were only two waiters working though it was quite busy so the service was a bit slow.
The music wasn't really to my liking, it would've been easier to talk without the band playing.
I would definitely go again!

Reviewed 27 June 2017

A cab driver recommended this restaurant to us. When we got there, it didn't seem very busy and we were given a table outside with a lovely view of the Danube. The service was a bit slow but the Server was friendly. We had chicken cordon bleu which was delicious. We had dessert of palacinta which was also quite good. By the time we left, the restaurant was full. It was a nice way to experience the sunset over the river.

1  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

Its beautiful to have dinner right on the Danube at night, but its kind of ruines by the poor service and Average food quality. Some menu items like goose liver and "Ponty tepertö" are pretty good but there is a whole lot of things you can go wrong with. The time i was there last service was really slow and unprofessional. Food (whole duck) was just meh... For Hungarian standards it's a little overpriced, especially for the quality you get! If you wanna eat real good traditional Hungarian food I suggest you go elsewhere. Another unpleasant thing about this place is the lack of hygiene. Bathrooms were downright disgusting...

2  Thank A San D