“Very authentic Chinese restaurant and Chinese clientele”

Chinatown Restaurant
Ranked #1,860 of 3,677 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

We were in II Janos Pal park down the street from here and I saw a big group of Chinese tourists going in here so decided to try it during our stay.

It is rather plain on the outside but very ornate inside. We ordered a range of dishes which are put on a revolving table, which the kids liked. The hot Seshuan pork is very hot and my wife ordered the prawns, but didn't check the price, which was extortionate at 4,800 ft. However, overall we really enjoyed the food - 14,400 ft bill for 3 adults/3 kids.

I think the restaurant mainly caters for a Chinese clientele - another large all-women group was eating there this time. However, if Chinese eat there then the food has to be good. Menu has English descriptions of the dishes so no problems ordering - just give the dish numbers to the waiter.

1  Thank Ivan K

Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

They provide very good Chinese and very nice service. Polite waiters and waitresses.
My traveling more than 10 days so far that is the 1st nice and polite also clean Chinese restaurant I went.

Reviewed 22 May 2016

The food was nice and cheap and the décor was lovely however the service was poor. The staff clearly did not want us to be there and it must have took us about 10-15 to pay our bill as we kept getting fobbed off by the staff.

Reviewed 3 May 2016

I'd like to start this review by saying that when I go to a Chinese restaurant, my expectations are not terribly high. In fact, this is the only restaurant review me or my girlfriend have ever written, but the food here basically has forced us to; its the worse chinese we've ever eaten - terrible terrible terrible food.

The sweet and sour pork (an absolute chinese restaurant standard) was unlike anything we've ever seen, gloopy, syrupy and just weird. The spring rolls were frozen and wet and cold in the middle, while the egg fried rice was dry and the vegetables were also frozen and not defrosted. The noodles were absolutely dripping with grease, the prawns that came with it were also very strange, flat, rubbery and like a sponge filled with fat. The food came out at completely random times, with other people who came later being served before us.

We were confused that all of the food at the other tables seemed to look quite nice, but ours certainly wasnt. We have walked past the restaurant several times and noticed that its often busy with mostly oriental customers, so we thought the food would be authentic and probably quite good. Despite this, both me and my girlfriend have had to go home and lie down because we have been left feeling sick and so rather than go out for drinks like we had planned, we are in bed with dodgy stomachs writing this review.

The only two positives - the food was very very cheap, and the seafood soup was mediocre. Honestly dont go here, you'll get better food at one of the generic oriental chains like wok2go, which we know for a fact because we also ate there a few nights ago.

2  Thank Tom L
Reviewed 20 March 2016 via mobile

Very nice food and waitresses. I absolutely offer to visit. Didnt have to wait too long. And very tasty. Toalet is very clean.