“a fantastic 'home from, home' in a great location!”

B & B Bellevue Budapest
Ranked #9 of 189 Budapest B&B and Inns
oxford
“a fantastic 'home from, home' in a great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

A warm welcome from the owners was a great start. Nothing was too much trouble for them, and sitting round the large breakfast table I met other guests, and swapped experiences while enjoying a magnificent Hungarian breakfast.
All the family went out of their way to ensure that their guests had trouble-free holidays, saw everything that they wanted to see, and really got to know this historic city. They never 'pushed' anyone to do anything, but they were there with advice and suggestions if wanted- and it would be silly indeed not to use such a wonderful source of local knowledge!
The position cannot be faulted- a short walk downhill got you to a metro/tram stop, and coming back it was possible to get a bus up the hill to Buda from the centre of Pest- so no worries about a long climb after a tiring day sightseeing.

Room Tip: owners incredibly honest in description of views from the different rooms- so varying prices also, b...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
Belo Horizonte, MG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

After 10 days of work in Berlin, we had a little more than two days to explore Budapest and then another couple of days in Vienna. Budapest was one of the best parts of the trip, for sure. The city is just charming and beautiful. I'm also pretty sure that our staying at Bellevue did help on getting this feeling. The location is just perfect, in the Castle Hills, the cobblestone streets, with its calm, quiet, old feeling. Despite that, is quite near to everything you might need: banks, restaurants, market, the tram/bus/metro station. And also the Danube and the beautiful Parlament.
More than that, though, Judit and Lajos are the perfect hosts, with their kind attention, lots of informations and details on the city, where to go, what to do and see, but with the utmost respect, never overwhelming. The house and the rooms are beautiful, very nicely decorated, and comfortable.

Concluding: we enjoyed very much our stay at the Bellevue and its most kind hosts, would stay there again for sure, and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Bellevue was a great place to stay for our long weekend winter break in Budapest.

Judit and Lajos gave us some good tips on eating, visiting and the practicalities of a few days in their city. This was really helpful and allowed us to make the most of our time.

Our room was comfortable and really big. Also the whole house was lovely and warm to come back to after a day of sightseeing, also nice to be able to make a cup of tea and relax in the breakfast room if we wanted. It was a relaxing place to stay and we enjoyed chatting over breakfast and discussing the plans for the day ahead!

A really great value place to stay with the added bonus of a warm welcome and some great hints and tips.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gaily1978
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

I had to restrain myself from writing this glowing review after my first night at B&B Bellevue, because I knew there were more great things to write about through the rest of my stay. But first, a disclaimer: My experience is atypical and should not be taken as a promise on behalf of the proprietors of B&B Bellevue to provide a similar service. That said, my first visit to Budapest and Hungary was made even more special because I stayed at B&B Bellevue. From the time I sent an e-mail inquiring about availability to when the airport shuttle collected me to take me to the airport, I felt that this trip was more like a visit with family than a touristy one.

Judit was very thorough with the pre-arrival information, including options for transportation and what to expect with regards to B&B’s amenities. I especially appreciated the information on where my room was located and the fact that there was no lift, so I was able to pack accordingly and take the appropriate luggage. I am posting a photo of the stairs to give other travelers an idea of what they look like, as the stairs might be challenging for oversized luggage. Upon arrival, I was given a comprehensive orientation by both Judit and Lajos to B&B Bellevue and the neighborhood – how to open the windows ( to best take tripod photos of Parliament); how to get English language on TV; telephone and internet access; how to get to the Metro station; which bus to take; and locations of recommended restaurants and other services in the neighborhood (money exchange, grocer, etc.) I was a bit apprehensive to learn that I was the only one staying at the B&B and that Judit and Lajos did not live there, but I was reassured that they were only a phone call away if I needed anything. I soon appreciated the peace and solitude of having the place to myself, but looked forward to seeing Judit, Lajos and Itsa (sp?), the housekeeper, in the mornings. Judit also gave me a copy of the opera schedule and marked on a map the places I expressed an interest in visiting. Following the thorough orientation after my arrival, I accepted Judit’s invitation to join her and Lajos for a late lunch/early dinner at a local place nearby. Roma Etelbar (http://hovamenjek.com/i-kerulet/roma-etelbar.html) on Csalogany utca is what many would describe as a “hole-in-the-wall,” the kind of place that served authentic local cuisine, and it did not disappoint. My first Hungarian meal was a chicken and sausage dish that Judit and Lajos ordered for me, as limited English was spoken at Roma Etelbar. I was quite happy with my meal, and sad that I didn’t get a chance to return to Roma Etelbar after that night. After dinner, Lajos dropped me off at Batthyany ter, where I could change money and get snacks from Spar, and purchase a 7-day transport pass at the Batthyany ter Metro station. Armed with the thorough directions from Judit, I was able to get back to B&B Bellevue in the dark using the tram and bus #16. Breakfast at B&B Bellevue begins at 8:30 a.m. and Judit was there every morning. I enjoyed chatting with her and Lajos about Budapest, the things I wanted to do as a tourist, family, and a variety of other subjects that breakfast was often an hour long. I never felt it was a waste of time or that it cut into my planned tourism activities, as that time spent with Judit and Lajos was an important part of my Budapest experience. Reading other reviews, I’m glad I came during the off-peak season and didn’t have to share them with other guests. When I checked out, Judit packed me a picnic breakfast, as the airport shuttle picked me up early.

B&B Bellevue is located just below Halaszbastya (Fisherman’s Bastion). Access to this and Matyas-Templom (Matthias Church) involves just a short walk from the B&B up the stairs (past the relief of Mansfield Peter). The quiet street where the B&B is on and the general residential area gave me a feel of being part of a real Budapest neighborhood, versus being a tourist looking in. I felt at home almost immediately. I highly recommend B&B Bellevue and will stay here again when I return to Budapest.

Room Tip: Consider the size and weight of your luggage if you have a room in the upper floors, as there is no...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank CCC_wanderlust
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

We selected this B& B based on the ratings in Trip Advisor and they are very well deserved. From booking the room to advice on how to get there from the airport Judit and Lajos have thought of everything. The location was perfect. We had a short walk each day down the cobble stoned stairs to restaurants, transport and a supermarket. We had a little fridge in our room to keep our water and fruit cold but could also go into the kitchen to make ourselves a cup of tea. We had an early start one morning and would have missed breakfast so Judit packed us a picnic and even added a little gift when we mentioned how much we liked eating Turo Rudis. Judit even lent us a Rick Steve guide for the length of our stay. Fantastic, Highly Recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple