“Getting out of town”

Ranked #167 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Stockholm
“Getting out of town”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

First, the hotel is located in a strange area. The neighboring houses and hotels are falling apart but also there is a great forrest/park next door that gives great views over parts of Budapest. The Hotel is some 10 km away from the citycenter and is perfect if you arrive with car. I didn't go with public traffic but there was a lot of buses going to and from the park next door.

The hotel is worn down and in need of restauration. There are two restaurants in the hotel, a grill and an a'la Carte. We tries the later and food was terrible and expensive even to Budapest standards, maybe that's because there are no other restaurants in the area.

Maybe my expectations were set to high by the reviews here on TA, but still there are better hotels closer to the city at better prices.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sao Paulo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

Unfortunately, our stay at the Normafa wasn't as pleasant as it could have been. I must say that I was very excited to be in a hotel that received so many rave reviews on TripAdvisor, and probably my disappointment also stems from the difference on what reviewers said and what we have found. Although the rooms are nice and clean, we had our share of problems with the hotel.

First, we noticed that our douche had a big crack and thus spilled water throughout the entire bathroom. We had to contact the receptionist twice in order to get it fixed, and indeed on our third night it was replaced. However, the replacement douche was different from the original and had a new "feature": if not used with care, it would soak the towels in the towel rack. And this was what really happened the first time I've tried to use it.

Second, me and my wife noticed an yellowish cast on the water the first time we filled the bathtub. When I asked the receptionist about this, she said us that "sometimes it would really happen", and then said us to let the bathtub tap open for 5 minutes since this would probably solve the problem. So much for a "renovated hotel" that asks us to save water and preserve the environment by reusing our towels.

Third, Wi-Fi connection. I expected to use it to make calls home via VoIP, but the speed of the connection is so low (consider yourself lucky if you get 256 kbps) and the reliability so poor that it was basically impossible to use it for other things than casual web surfing. On the other hand, the hotel dares to charge for its use, and it's not inexpensive at all (2800 HUF or €13 for one week). Additionally, their system charges guests individually instead of charging the room; as a consequence, I couldn't share my connection with my wife, who also carries his laptop. When I asked about this, the receptionist just said that she was sorry, blamed the WiFi service provider, and said that internet access at the hotel woudn't be better than that.

Fourth, restaurant services for halfboarders. I must agree with another reviewer of the hotel: halfboarders are treated as second class citizens and wait much more for service than the guests that use the normal menu of the Normafa Grill. Every time we asked for restaurant services with our halfboard passes, the service was so slow and inneficient that our children fell asleep before they could have their dinner. Then in our last night, when we ordered the food to be delivered to our room in order that they could have dinner before sleeping, the food came blazingly fast - accompanied by an extra charge. They alleged that I had ordered a dish that was not part of the halfboard menu, and only backed off when I ordered them to bring the halfboard menu and I pointed them there to the very dish I've ordered.

Fifth, breakfast. Fruits are basically non-existent if you have breakfast after 9:00 AM. Also, in the summer is dangerous to havhe breakfast in the outside part of the restaurant, since there are always bees around that can sting you or your children.

Finally, to wrap it up, during our stay there was a wedding party at the Normafa Grill where there was LOUD techno music which played until more or less 5:00 AM. So much for a hotel "placed in an idyllic atmosphere".

In a nutshell, the hotel was unfortunately a major disappointment. We loved the city and its sights, but definitely we won't be staying at the Normafa next time.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms as far as possible from Normafa Griltl, so the parties don't disturb your sleep.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
west midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

Before i start my review, please note i am a well travelled individual, and have visited a number of places ranging from Africa to the Middle East to the States.

On arrival of the hotel it seemed clean and welcoming enough, and I was quite excited to be staying here, as the reports on trip advisor had been excellent.
On entering my room, I had ordered a suite, but got a double room, and when going back to reception to say that an error had taken place with my reservation, unfortuanatley they were unable to accommadate my booked reservation.

The room was a little dated, but clean.The TV never worked and although I didnt go to there watch TV, as a solo traveller it would have been nice from time to time to be able to watch the odd thing, even just the news. When i did report it, they said it was standard throughout the hotel, and all the channels were hungarian, apart from a sports one that popped up from time to time, this was due to the satelite system they have.

The weather was amazing and was easily 36 degrees in the day, however there is no air conditioning in the rooms, and all rooms have a stand alone fan, and even though the tempaerature dropped slightly at night, this made my nights sleep terrible and unpleasant.

The pool side was nice, however remember as you are based in the countryside the wasps and bees are rampant, which i felt i was constantly fighting them off whilst trying to sunbathe. There's great activities for the kids to do, sandpit and playground activities.

The breakfast was OK, however all the egg contain meat, and as i am a vegetarianwhen I asked for a plain egg, they were quick to accommadate which i thought was very good of them.

The meals in the restuarant I thought were fab, and the pancakes were to die for!!!

The sights from the Hotel are great and there are forest treks to go on, which are amazing, teh bus stop is literally seconds away from the hotel and take you into the city in 15/20 mins, which again was a good advantage. There is also a little shop down the road where you can buy most things and i thought they were useful and handy and at a reasonable price.

All in all my overall experience was "pleasant enough" However the City and the sights of Hungry are amazing and the tours i went on for like 5000 hungarian money was so worth it, which included a River trip. I would definately go back to Budapest, as here is so much to see and do.

TIPS

Be mindful as in your bill there is compulsary tip already included within your bill, however what i found is that the taxis and hotel restaurants would not give you change back, and would automatically just take it,which was quite disappointing.

Wasps and bees around pool.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
rome
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

Excellent position, 10 km from the center, clean, quiet and excellent restaurant.
a good fitness and wellness center.a big pool for the bigger, and a small pool for the kids.public transport just at 2 steps from the hotel entrance...will bring you in 15 minutes at MOSZKVA blvrd....and from there, in 10 minutes in the center.very good prices.sirelly, we will come back there every time we will be in budapest

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

We extended my business trip to this hotel. It's not in Budapest city center however easy to reach. Normafa town Is at the top of hill. Generic facilities are renovated, swimming pool is advantage and fits for budget.

• Stayed August 2011