6,095 results
All reviews chain bridge paris restaurant luxury room river view club room famous chain perfect location breakfast buffet excellent hotel buda castle across the river the executive lounge an upgrade christmas market junior suite four seasons beautiful city
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my husband & grandaughter. I booked a superior room and ended up with a junior suite. I'm not sure if this is classed as a superior? When we arrived here and got into our room, I found that the bedding for the sofa bed consisted of a pillow and one blanket. On our way out to dinner I reported this to reception and asked if they would put some bedding in the room. They did this......1 sheet & the blanket was put in a duvet cover! I rang housekeeping and asked them for a duvet. Within minutes they brought the duvet and re made the bed, they also brought some extra towels. The room was very clean & facilities were good, including shower cubicle and bath, hairdryer and cosmetics. The kitchen had an espresso coffee maker as well as the normal tea & coffee making facilities. It also had a fridge and a two ring electric hob and extractor fan and plenty of cupboard space. The room was made up every day we were there. There was two televisions and a mini bar, table/desk & chairs and a sofa bed as well as a double bed. Wardrobe, drawers, mini safe, slippers, dressing gown were also supplied. Theer was also an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. The hotel is situated just across the road from the Danube and a very short walk to shops, bars & restaurants. I would certainly recommend this hotel. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the noise between 8 & 8.15am each morning. I am not sure what it was, but it was like a "clunking" noise. The staff were more than helpful, pleasant & polite. On the whole we had a pleasant stay at the Sofitel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 146 on the 1st floor and it was more than adequate for our needs. The room overlooked a side street and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I used to stay at this hotel some years ago when it was a Hyatt, and I have also stayed recently at the Meridien and the Kempinski nearby, so it’s good to compare them all. When this hotel was a Hyatt, it was my favourite business hotel, with staff that were exceptional. Now it’s a Sofitel the staff don’t reach those heights, but it’s a comfortable five-star hotel, although it’s in a very busy area traffic-wise.
The location is good – across the road from the Danube, with some rooms having a river view, two minutes’ walk from the main square in the city centre – Vorosmarty – and also the pedestrianized designer shopping street – Vaci Utca – and about five minutes from Ferenc Deak Ter Metro station, where all three of Budapest’s lines intersect. But I would say that the locations of the Meridien and Kempinski hotels are better if you want to use the Metro, although they are further from the Danube. They are also quieter, with many rooms overlooking a traffic-free street.
The rooms at the Sofitel are of a reasonable size for a five-star hotel, with air con, free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV (with Sky News, much better than BBC World) and tea/coffee making facilities (although no black tea, like the English drink). However, the bathrooms are small (certainly mine was), with a combined bath/shower, unlike the other two hotels, which have separate shower units. The bathroom had a hairdryer, toiletries (although in difficult-to-get-into bottles) and tissues, and the towels and robe provided were of good quality. But the bathrooms were definitely worthy only of a four-star hotel, mainly because of their size.
One difference I noticed at the Sofitel was at breakfast, on the mezzanine floor. Although the environment was quite pleasant, I expect to be shown to a free table in a five-star hotel, and this didn’t happen on any of the mornings I was there. Not a problem when the hotel was empty, but a bit more of a problem on my last morning. The selection of fruit at the Sofitel didn’t compare with the other hotels either, and the cooking station was smaller, with less choice. I would say breakfast was somewhere between a four and five star rating.
My main gripe with the Sofitel is that you seem to get traffic noise wherever you are in the hotel. Even though my room faced a quiet street, I had the sound of the dustcarts at four o’clock in the morning, and there were several other examples of heavy traffic during the night. Noise must be even more of a problem if your room faces the front of the hotel, where there is a constant stream of heavy traffic.
Back to the staff – mostly very pleasant, courteous and efficient. Reception staff were very efficient without being overfriendly, the bar staff were friendly without being overly efficient, and most greeted you with a friendly ‘good morning’ or ‘good evening’. I had no real problems while I was there apart from the noise from outside, but I definitely prefer the Meridien and the Kempinski.
Overall, a good five-star hotel, good location, a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, but you'll get some noise fro outside in all rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank AHassall
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The service in this property is outstanding, the location unbeatable and the Lemonades are out of this world... A must for any Budapest travel, whether it be for lunch, a drink or a night over!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Barnsa
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Very nice friendly staff, clean room. Can't go wrong here, also great location.

Room Tip: Ask for river view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We have passed the Sofitel countless times in previous visits and not been impressed. The exterior does not add much to the views of the city, and it is hard to miss when it is right there facing the river beside the Chain Bridge. This time we accepted that you can't beat the location and stayed there. Whether it was the stupendous interior atrium, the exquisite rooms, their gorgeous views of Buda, the Danube and the Chain Bridge from the window, the perfect service from everyone, the wonderful massage we had in the fitness centre or the excellent meal we had in the restaurant, we could not fault this hotel. And it cost ... about a third of what a fairly rubbish night in a London hotel costs.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple