“Not really 4-star!”

Ranked #117 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Berkhamsted, England
“Not really 4-star!”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in mid-August.
First the good points!:-Staff excellent, especially the hard-working bar-lady! Room was clean. Breakfast was ok. A bank of 5 lifts gave an incredible efficient service. (I never waited for more than 15 seconds before a lift appeared).Good location in Buda being 2 minutes walk away from the Metro for downtown Pest; also tram 18 passes (very noisily!) outside the door, useful for points of interest near the Citadell. Midi-bus 16 is an excellent ride from a nearby stop as it covers in detail the Castle area, crosses the Chain Bridge, and passes the Basillica. With a frequency of between every 3 and 6 minutes, who needs a tour bus?!
Unfortunately the not-so-good points!:-My room decoration appeared very tired featuring a particularly depressing carpet! There was no safe in my room. The shower would not stay hung-up. The pay-tv was not working. That would have been useful if only to avoid the non-stop Olympics coverage!
Because of the incredible good rate I got from one of the internet booking companys I was satisfied with my stay; but if I had paid the normal 4-star rate I would have been disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Aniko N, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Buda, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Dear littlejimbuses,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We truly apprecaite your comments! I was very happy to learn that your time in Mercure Budapest Buda generally met your expectations and thank you for your compliments on the location, cleanliness, breakfast and the provided services. I was, however, disappointed to learn of the room condition items you mentioned. I will certainly take your comments on board and discuss with the Housekeeping Manager to ensure that these problems are investigated. We work tirelessly to ensure that all of our accommodations exceed our brand standards in terms of cleanliness and conditions, and the international Mercure standards are great assistance for us not to miss this goal. Nevertheless we are very anxious to share with our guests our new Privilege Level rooms that can cater the most sophisticated needs (comfortable double bed, coffee-tea making facilities, LCD TV, rain shower, luxury amenities in the bathroom, bathrobes, slippers...). Thanks again for your feedback and I do hope that your last experience does not preclude you from choosing Hotel Mercure Budapest Buda once again for future travel. I look forward to hearing from you.
A. Nagy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dudley
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at the beginning of July and found this hotel to be very comfortable and clean with very friendly staff. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the first night as it was late and it was great value for money, good food and comparable in price to local restaurants.
The appearance of the hotel from a distance (halfway up to the castle) is very much Eastern bloc in looks but inside it is very modern and tasteful. Our Privilege room was a good size with a very comfy bed and the air-con very welcome as it was extremely warm while we were there. We really enjoyed our stay here and wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear philamand,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and moreover, thank you for your recommendation! I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in Hotel Mercure Budapest Buda! The location of the hotel is one of the great features that make us a perfect choice for a holiday or a business trip! Our standard rooms are supplied with all the modern conveniences and can cater everybody's needs. But for those who insist on a bit luxury in the everyday lives we created a sophisticated answer and this is the Privilege Concept - just for a small supliment. Your feedback pertaining to food & beverage is greatly appreciated . Be sure to check out the new menu and concept on offer for lunch or dinner on your next visit - I am sure you will enjoy the experience. Once again, thank you for the positive feedback and for taking the time to write about us.
Kindest regards,
Walsall
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed at the Mercure Budapest Bupa for five nights whilst visiting Budapest for the Grand Prix in July. We upgraded to a privilege room as the facalities appeared better, however if I went again I am not sure that it is woth the the extra cost. All of the staff (apart from one indvidual lady who worked in the bar) were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the local area. The hotel was a short metro ride from the main centre of Budapest and was really easy to get to. We ate in the bar on three occassions rather than going out as the food was great vaule for money and really tasty. Overall I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel for those who want vaule for money and easy access into the centre.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear F1Gal,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! It was a great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Hotel Mercure Budapest Buda! We have large well-equipped rooms in the downtown area and my Housekeeping and Engineering teams work tirelessly to ensure that all of our accommodations exceed our brand standards in terms of cleanliness and conditions. We are very anxious to share with our guests our Privilege Level rooms that can cater the most sophisticated needs as well. I greatly appreciate your comment regarding my colleagues. I will be sure to share your comment with the whole team! Once again, thank you for the positive feedback and for taking the time to write about us. We look forward to welcome you in the near future again.
Kind regards,
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Stayed for two nights. The hotel is good, staff atentive and dinamic. Rooms are well distributed and clean, sleeped well. The hotel is located next to a train station and metro. Metro is a good choice if you would like to go downtown. You are also walking distance to the castle distric which is very nice and you get probably the best view in town.
Breakfast is good with a few local products. There is also a supermarket nearby.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Aniko N, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Buda, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear GFdC,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in Hotel Mercure Budapest Buda! I greatly appreciate the compliments on the location, cleanliness and staff. I will definitely share your comments with the entire team! We have a unique location only a few steps away from the Budavár Castle ( World Heritage Site ) and 15 minutes walk from the Chain Bridge. Thank you also for the feedback regarding breakfast. We always recommend our guests to try our rich all you can eat buffet breakfast. It is healthy, nutritious and shows wide variety of Hungarian specialities. Once again, thank you for the positive feedback and for taking the time to write about us. We look forward to welcome you in our Mercure Budapest Buda in the near future again.
Sarajevo
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Our stay at the Mercure Budapest Buda was great. The room was clean and nice; we were upgraded to a premium room at no charge; breakfast was fine. The only problem we had was the air conditioning was slow to cool the room. Eventually by morning it was comfortable. At checkout, the manager said we should have called technical assistance, but at 11:30 we were really looking to change rooms. I am sure they would have made it good.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear LSCouch,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Mercure Budapest Buda. It is always a pleasure to share positive feedback with our colleagues who take pride in providing superior yet unobtrusive customer service. Our rooms are very comfortable and supplied with all the modern conveniences, not to speak about privilege rooms - you were accommodated in - that can cater the most sophisticated needs as well (comfortable double bed, coffee-tea making facilities, LCD TV, secure Laptop Safe, rain shower, luxury amenities in the bathroom, bathrobes, slippers...). I greatly appreciate that you chose to stay with us at Hotel Mercure Budapest Buda and I look forward to having the opportunity to be of service to you in the future. Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us.