“Brilliant experience!”

Carpe Noctem Hostel
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I went to visit Budapest for 6 nights with my sister and were both extremely sceptical about staying in a “party” hostel as we’d never done it before! On arriving the building is pretty intimidating but once we made it up the 100 stairs we were so pleasantly surprised! A lovely warm welcome and induction was given by Mike who pointed out all the dos and donts of the hostel and the city which is great if you’re a first time traveler! The vibe is great there it’s really laid back and although there are activities on every night there’s no pressure to do it if you don’t want to; if you don’t feel up to it the noise curfew is 9 so everybody is out by then so the option to get an early night is there as well! The staff here are brilliant Bongo, Mike & Jeeves are the most friendly, helpful & fun (also great drinkers which us Londoners appreciate)! If you want to explore Budapest properly, eat at the best spots and hit the town hard at night in the best spots Carpe Noctem is for you! Also if you’re a classic Brit then one thing you must know is they have a gigantic bag of Yorkshire teabags in the kitchen...I legit yelped with excitement when I saw them! It’s the best place ever book now!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

This was the first party hostel I have ever stayed in, and was my favourite I've been to. The atmosphere was pretty chill and the staff were approachable and super helpful, we never struggled to find anyone to ask Qs when we wanted to know info. All the other guests were friendly and fun to get to know, but were also considerate of people sleeping in late/early nighters. Organised events were very fun but you didn't feel pressured into them: if you wanted to stay in for the night and chill you could. Visited some awesome ruin bars thanks to the Carpe Noctem team and saw some of the best of Budapest's nightlife! 10/10 wish I didn't have to leave! ❤

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Insane hostel, quite easily the best place to stay in Budapest. If you want to get destroyed or have a recovery nap this is the place to be. With sick staff like Mike, Bongo and Jeeves you nights out are always brilliant. Also no matter how long you stay you will end up extending. Stay here. Also the free food and family dinners makes it even cheaper and friendlier.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend Aaron and I stayed 5 nights at this hostel and we probably could have stayed for a month(some do haha). It’s more a home where you live with really awesome people than a hostel. We are not big party people but that does not matter at all. If you don’t party you still meet and hangout with the amazing staff and guests then when they go out at 830 every night the hostel becomes completely silent if you want a quiet night in. But you might end up going out a lot more than you think because it’s loads of fun. Some hostels have to work so hard to reach the right hostel vibe but at this place it comes naturally. There are family dinners offered every night for cheap and if you want to be guest chef then your dinner will be free. I’ve never had so much interaction with staff at a hostel before. We became very fast friends with Jeeves, Bongo and Mike; they are a blast. I could go on forever about how amazing this place is but it would be a never ending review. Don’t go to Budapest without staying here please!!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Maybe if you're under 25 this place is awesome but for me, I couldn't even stay more than one night (even though I booked four nights originally). I've stayed in hostels all over and usually do my research to make sure that I'll be OK with the place I'm staying at but my research failed me this time.

The only way I can even begin to understand the high reviews is if people are basing this off the fact that the atmosphere lends itself to being friendly with people relaxing and chatting in the community area. Maybe the connections people make with other travelers is what is motivating such a high ranking. And I imagine the activities that the hostel puts together could be fun as well.

Pros:
*Staff was friendly/helpful
*Guests seemed friendly
*Comfortable Bed
*Free towel

Cons:
*Room was a mess. Others had no respect for the space and there was stuff everywhere, there was even a mattress on the floor. Why?
*Apparently party hostel means that you can bring someone back to the hostel. I've never stayed at a hostel where this was allowed. Safety is a big deal for me and who wants to hear someone else hooking up ever? (much less after you get out of college?) . This threw me and as soon as I was told this, I started to look for other accommodations.
*Wifi was weak from my bunk
*Bathroom felt old/dirty/grungy
*Nowhere to put down your toiletries for when you're using the sink. I had to pick up two things at a time and keep going back and forth to my bed to pick up other things I needed because there was no place to put my stuff.
*Showers: I never showered (Was there one night and was out of there) but from what I could see there was nowhere to put your stuff down (towel, change of clothes, etc)...I could be wrong but I didn't see it.
*Lockers: Those things looked so flimsy. But the people that stay there didn't seem shady so I wasn't THAT worried for the one night I was there. But this goes back to random people being brought back to the room. You can't control what those people do.

Overall, this place was just a mess and has me thinking that maybe hostels are not for me anymore.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo