“You can leave, but you can never check out”

Carpe Noctem Hostel
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I had to do justice to this one particular hostel, because not doing so will not do the owners any justice. Even though I left Carpe Noctem six months ago.

Carpe Noctem is rather diffcult to locae, given that it is located in one of Budapest's conservation districts. Since the municipality stipulates that no changes must be done to the facade, you will know that you've arrived only if you look at the intercomms cloe enough.

The runners and owners are real friendly people, real friendly. They tell you the places to visit, make you a cup of tea and make the check in process real quick. Bed linen is fresh too, and the rooms are nicely heated. The real highlights of this hostel are the parties...one different party every night. It may be a pub crawl, it may be a cruise trip. The good thing is that the hostel staff actually brigs you along to these trips, and believe me some of the bars are Budapest's best. They also organize day trips to caves, Szecheni Baths and other attractions. Naturally guests become friendly with one another. So it boils down to the difficult last day. Like the mural on their door, you can leave anytime, but you never really check out.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Anthony T

Reviewed 21 November 2012

Carpe Noctem is hands down the best hostel I've ever stayed at. Because the hostel is so small, you really get to know all the guests and the staff well. It was my first time traveling solo and I felt completely comfortable and safe there, not to mention had an amazing time. It is a party hostel, so expect to be taken out every night. Each night has something different planned, and you get to party with their other sister hostels as well so you get to meet so many more people. Everyone leaves around 8:30, so it's quiet if you want to stay in and go to sleep early. I had read from reviews that most people end up extending their stay, so I booked 5 nights thinking it was enough...STILL ended up staying an extra two nights! It's true what everyone's saying - it is definitely just like staying at a friend's place. I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Chantal P
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

I had no idea the nightlife in Budapest would be so intense, and it impressed me how these guys were so enthusiastic to head out and party pretty much every night.

The staff are all very friendly, and are happy to direct you to the landmarks during the day... If you have any energy left.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank CarcharhinusThomas
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I had an amazing stay at this hostel while I was in Budapest. I was originally only booked for one night but they made it work for me to be able to stay for 5 nights (even though they were over booked). The rooms are very clean and the beds are really comfortable as well. As soon as I got there, I got a map with all the places to go and recommendations for inexpensive, yet excellent meals! Every night they have an event that is just AWESOME and easily encourages travelers to hang out and meet each other, not only at this hostel but also their sister hostels. For any issue or need, they are right there for you and will do their best to ensure that you have a great time. I would whole heartedly recommend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank eghayes
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I stayed at this hostel for two nights when I was in Budapest. I really enjoyed staying at this hostel. The staff was amazing and helpful. When you sign in you get a map and a run down of the city. They were very good at answering questions, helped me get a cab, etc. Staying in this hostel was seriously like crashing at a friend's house. The staff runs really awesome party type events every night, which I liked because it meant you didn't have to spend time trying to find where you should hang out. It was comfortable, but not top notch as far as facilities are concerned. Despite this, the beds are really nice. Like...REALLY nice. Comfortable. The location was excellent, right downtown. I would definiately stay here again if I end up in Budapest. There are only three downsides to this hostel:
1. It's an OLD building. As a result things are a little run down looking. The staff was really good about cleaning and what not, but it's still and old building. I have bad allergies and I was def having some issues breathing.
2. No one mentioned this in any of the reviews I read or the hostel's website, but apparently the bathrooms are co-ed. I didn't really like that, to be honest.
3. There are a lot of solo travellers and small groups with people looking to hook up. That's not really a downside to me, I don't care, but I know that some people do. There was def some people...um...sharing beds. Like I said, not an issue for me, but it is to some people.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo