“A must-do in Budapest!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Faust Wine Cellar
Ranked #1 of 165 Shopping in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Be our guest in our authentic Faust Wine Cellar under the Dominican Cloister - the part of the UNESCO World Heritage! We are offering about 80 sorts of Hungarian wines and 30 sorts of "Pálinka". During the week we are organizing special wine and "Pálinka" tastings guided by our sommelier!
Los Angeles, California
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“A must-do in Budapest!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I visited the Faust Wine Cellar in January 2012. We had an amazing time! First, it is in a charming cellar a few flights down under the Hilton hotel. The fee for tasting is very reasonable and includes these delicious cheese scones. The wine is wonderful and the service is excellent. You learn about the wine and the areas of Hungary where it is produced and its history as you taste. We ended up buying 4 bottles to bring home with us! The cellar is open late which makes it a good option after most other museums and attractions have closed for the evening.

I seriously cannot recommend this enough! It was a wonderful experience for my husband and I. The perfect way to spend an evening in Budapest and to learn about and taste some great wine!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank DZKathrynE
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Wonderful evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

When something gets as much praise as this attraction I was slightly concerned that I could only be left disappointed. Having absolutely no knowledge of wines, other than I occasionally having the odd glass, I was not convinced whether visiting a wine cellar was the best use of an evening. I could not have been more wrong - it was very entertaining and enjoyable.

It is a very intimate venue with only five tables. We had the 'Red Wine Lovers' tasting of nine wines plus some very tasty savoury scones and soda water. The owners passion for the wines is evident and it is very enjoyable to listen to his knowledge, whilst getting increasingly merry on the wine.

Two tips: (1) The price is in euros and forints. Pay in forints as it works out cheaper. (2) Go to the bathroom before you walk down the stairs to the cellar - the toilet is in the lobby of the Hilton, which seems a long way once you get comfy downstairs.

3 Thank GoolePike
Richmond, Virginia
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“unsure about this one....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I'm staying at The Hilton-Castle where Faust is located. The entrance is off the main lobby, but you have to walk a bit downward to get to the entrance. Its kind of cool and exciting getting there, but a bit disappointed, when I got there. Its small and only has 5 tables. I was expecting an area where you could stand at a bar and do tastings like most wineries. A man greeted me and curiously asked me what he could do for me........wine tasting? He said they were very busy, but if interested I could have a glass or two of wine, but not a full tasting.....ok. I sat at their largest table along with 3 others. However, there were 2 empty tables.....busy? The folks at my table were also told no tastings; busy. The man working refereed to the woman behind the bar as his wife; not sure if they owned the place. However, they were very nice and he gave me a great presentation on the 2 different wines I had and seemed to be very knowledgeable of Eastern European wine. I'm not sure why I couldn't have done the tasting, but who knows.....

I wouldn't rank this place #2 in Budapest; maybe 27? It's ok if your either staying at The Hilton or in Old Town and want to sit and relax a bit in a cool wine cellar. I surely wouldn't travel from Pest just for this place; my opinion for what its worth.

2 Thank Yates26
NagyGab, Owner at Faust Wine Cellar, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding our Wine Cellar. First I would like to clarify some information in your review:
1. We are indeed no winery, we never said so. We are a small family runed Wine Cellar whose business idea is in general to present Hungarian wines to people who are interested in. We try to present wines in our wine tastings and overall in the Cellar which you can not find in supermarkets. We have mostly wines from small or medium size family owned wineries, some wines you can only find in our Wine Cellar and in the Winery itself in the countryside. You can not even find wineries in Budapest as they are all in the countryside.
2. We do not own the place, it belongs to the Hilton and we rent and operate this place with my wife on our own. We also made our selection by our own.
3. The place is small and we think that is why it makes cosy. We are working hard to keep the intimate, small milieu as we are not real big place.
4. There are guests who are making reservations ahead and we are keeping there tables. I mentioned to you when you arrived that we can not manage the wine tasting as it takes at least 1-1,5 hours by the time and we have reservation for those 2 tables (which looked like free at that time) within half an hour. If we began your wine tasting there we can not finish to their arrival. I am sure that you would have been very disappointed with that case. That was the reason why we could not give the table nor to you nor to the people sitting at your table for wine tasting – therefore I suggested to take a glass of wine or two glasses. We try to manage wine tasting for everybody up to our availabilities. On that day in the afternoon time we had tables so we could have managed a wine tasting for you too. However the late afternoon-evening time we were fully-booked.
5. Our wine tastings are not like at a winery, as we are not a winery and our idea was not running an only “drinking place”.

We would have really appreciated if you had share your questions in the Cellar with us, then we have the possibility to answer to them.

Sorry that we did not grow up to all of your expectations.
However I am very happy to have your kind words about us and the wines which you took as suggestions from us.

Hope we can try it better if you would like to visit us next time.
Kind regards,

Gabor Nagy
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012 via mobile

The wine cellar is located in the Hilton on Castle Hill. The cellar has a really nice ambience and is lit with candles.

The owners, a really nice couple, took good care of us and presented us each wine in detail. We enjoyed this although the owner's/sommelier's English was sometimes a bit hard to follow as he was speaking pretty fast. We chos the big eine tasting with 8 wines and one wine, which you could re-order. With the wines we also received a plat of hungarian cheese scones, still warm from the oven.

We paid around EUR 25 per person, which incl. also another plate of scones and a nice selection of cheese. All in all a great evening in an impressive surrounding and nice wine.

Chatham, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed this wine tasting in an enchanting atmosphere. The owners are most hospitable and share their extensive knowledge knowledge of Hungarian wines very well. Be sure to book in advance as this is becoming well known & has limited space available.