“Best meal of my trip”

Gostilna Na gradu
Ranked #44 of 677 Restaurants in Ljubljana
Cuisines: Croatian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Gostilna Na Gradu is in the castle courtyard. The decor is a mix of old castle artifacts and modern like the castle. We went with a group, the food and service were excellent. Normally I would avoid any restaurant in a monument for anything more than a hot dog at the time of famine. This one is run by the couple that own Hisa Franko near Kobarid. Ana Ros is a gifted chef. More on that with my review of Hisa Franko. (The food is Slovenian and not really Croatian. In this part of the world, wars have been fought over less!
Reviewed 4 January 2017

The best meal I had during my 4 month stay in Eastern Europe.
We stopped by during a visit to the castle, charmed by the beautiful location and big glass windows with a view on the castle courtyard.
The service is extremely attentive and high class. The menu is not extensive however what we ordered was perfectly cooked. I had pumpkin soup (delicious), vegetarian cheese pockets, and a slice of Bled cake for dessert. I recommend trying this cake when visiting Slovenia as it is amazing!
Spent around 20-25€ including drinks. Would come again any time.

1  Thank R S

Reviewed 23 December 2016

Situated in Ljubljana castle it's romantic and offers a great atmosphere. Slovenian cuisine at it's best and for a fair price.

1  Thank Apar L
Reviewed 22 December 2016

It was in the period befor Christmas, so the outdoor decor was perfect. Befor we entered the big fire place where we could able hands. The entering champagne and lined breads was enough. Then they offer us nine course dinner of food and variety of wine beverages...at the end was enough for not too much complex kernels. For me it was excelent experience of flavors.
I think that the restavrant is quite good for us for one year expirience and for turists which want to explore there flavors.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

The ambient of the restaurant is simply great if your are eating inside choose the table at the window. The food is very good, a mix of traditionl and new, and staff is very helpfull.

Reviewed 10 December 2016

Dining within the castle used to be reserved for only those with true privilege and wealth, but now a simple visit to Ljubljana Castle, with a stop by Gostilna Na Gradu will make you feel like the richest and most culinarily astute in the city. Mixing years of traditional Slovenian cuisine, recipes handed down from master to apprentice, with modern palates and locally sourced fresh ingredients, Gostilna Na Gradu is a gastronomic adventure through Slovenia.

Since it exists as part of the castle, the design of the restaurant holds true to its surroundings. Natural stone walls, with an impressive arched ceiling add visual interest, while the wood accents add a rustic charm reminiscent of traditional Slovenian kitchens.

I joined a friend for lunch, in which we started with the "castle" platter, a delicious sampling of kranjska sausage, frank's roast beef with Istrian olive oil, lemon juice and salt flower, crunchy tarragon dumplings, Istrian dried and salted cod with candied red pepper. The candied red pepper was a highlight for me, especially in the smoked beef tartare with candied red pepper, spring onion and spring herbs appetizer. And, because we couldn’t decide, we ordered a third starter, the pasta filled with potato, traditionally called "žlikrofi", served with lamb ragout.

I chose the piran sea bass fillet fonda with broccoli cream, served with fresh broccoli, cauliflower, and buttery potatoes. The fish was excellently prepared and cooked to perfection, a mild, delicate flavor heightened by the cream.

My friend also chose the sea, ordering a sole fillet with mussel sauce, accompanied by tarragon rolls and summer vegetables. The presentation on both dishes was stunning, and we couldn’t wait to taste them.

Our final course was delectable, and included a traditional walnut dessert from kobarid with baked apple ice cream and a rich chocolate lava cake with cream. Friendly, knowledgeable staff and sommeliers – Gostilna Na Gradu is a must!

2  Thank Jarrod B