“Avoid this hotel at all costs”

Mercure Warszawa Centrum
Ranked #16 of 127 Hotels in Warsaw
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I recently stayed at Holiday Inn whilst on business in Warsaw. I recommend people avoid this place at all costs. Upon arrival to my room I found the mini bar was locked even though I had pre-paid my room on a company credit card. The hotel demanded I leave my personal card details if I wanted access to the mini bar, I handed over ym card details only to later find out the door to the mini bar was broken anyway and could not be accessed.

The biggest shock of my stay at the hotel came when arrived back in the UK and checked my bank balance, the hotel had charged my personal card for the cost of the room, this was after they had already taken payment from my company credit card for the room. I appreciate mistakes happen, but the way the hotel handled my complaint was utterly disgraceful. I called the hotel and asked why they had charged my personal card for the hotel room, it took 3 times of calling before the member of staff would acknowledge their mistake. Apparently it was an accident, a convenient accident in my opion. I was then infomred the staff member that looiked after refunds had gone home and they wouldn;t be able to refund me until the following week.

The hotel was quick enough to charge both my company card and my personal card for my stay yet could not seem to refund the money quite so quickly. Eventually they agreed to return the funds. After chekcing the funds had been returned to my account I noticed the value of the refund was lower than the amount they had taken from my card in error to begin with, this was due to commission charges by the bank. I would have expected the hotel to refund the full amount including my commission charges, this was their error and in my opinion an attempt to steal from me, one of their customers. The manager, Iwona Surała, has failed to answer my emails to refund the further losses this hotel has caused me.

I will never stay at another Holiday Inn again. The only positive thing I have to say about the hotel is the friendliness of the barman. But I am not prepared to have money stolen from me again. I am sure this is common practise at the hotel and I wonder how many people haven;t noticed what these thieves are up to.

Room Tip: The hotel is likely to try and steal additional funds from you so avoid all rooms
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
12  Thank Rob H
Luiza C, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Warszawa Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear Rob H,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review. Every feedback and comment from our Guests is extremely valuable, as it gives us motivation to continuously improve the level of service and product.

We admit it was our mistake to charge your personal credit card and when we realized we were at fault we immediately made the refund. It is also a fact that due to commission charges and exchange rates we were not able to refund the exact amount to your credit card. Due to this we asked you kindly by e-mail to accept our apology offer in order to make it up for the inconvenience you went through. I am happy that we were able to finally resolve this matter yesterday.

Please once more accept our sincere apologies for all the inconvenience. Even though we find calling us “thieves” a bit grievous, we fully understand your irritation with the subject. I would like to ensure you that mistake was not intentional and it is really an isolated case.

I remain at your disposal, should I be of any further assistance and truly hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you in our Holiday Inn Warszawa.

Kind regards

Pawel Piatkowski
Operational Manager

Reviewed 7 March 2012

A perfecly acceptable city centre hotel close to attractions and a nice shopping centre. Nothing special though with a very basic gym and a 1990's feel to the room decor!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We booked this hotel room because we needed a room close to the centre. And we got disappointed with our choice. When we entered the hotel through the underground garage we had to climb the stairs carrying our suitcases because there was no lift. The hotel lobby looked nice but there was something in the air literally: I mean the smell was awful like in a fast food restaurant. Then we got to the room and we learned that there was no air conditioning working: to cool the small room we had to open the window - not a good idea for winter time. Finally, when taking a bath we discovered that the towels were stinky. It was too much, we thought. Overall, the service seemed to be nice but they lacked training and professionalism of a 4-star hotel workers. We are sure not to choose this hotel any more.

Room Tip: don't choose this hotel - there are many others aound
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank enyar
Luiza C, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Warszawa Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Dear Madame,

Thank you for taking your time to make us aware about your experience at the Holiday Inn Warsaw. I do apologize for all inconveniences that you met during your stay.

At Holiday Inn, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Unfortunately our hotel does not have a lift from the garage level, but there is possibility to leave your car on the hotel’s driveway just for unpacking your luggage or ask for porter’s assistance.
Last time we had a small technical problem, and because of that you felt an unpleasant smell, for what we are truly sorry.
Your remark considering the quality of our towels will be shared with our housekeeping employees to avoid such a situation in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Luiza Chlopecka

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Hotel is situated in the city center close to public comunication and railway station.There is a big shopping center Zlote Tarasy next to the hotel. Hotel is clean and quiet. There is a very small parking belongs to hotel and you need to book it in advance. Breakfast are OK as well as hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2012

It's a Holiday Inn, so quite good rooms with some nice beds, excellent service and great value for this location in Warsaw. But it can be very busy, the breakfast is average and use the restaurant only if you have no other options. The food there is OK-ish but way overpriced for it's quality.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business