“Wished we found this sooner”

W Starej Kuchni Restaurant
Ranked #246 of 1,660 Restaurants in Krakow
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Stare Miasto
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Like one of the reviews we were drawn to this restaurant by the decor. It was our last day in Krakow and we were looking for somewhere to go for lunch. How we wished we found it sooner. The staff were very friendly and efficient. I had dumplings as a starter (best I've had) and my wife had 3 different types of pate. They were like mini sausage rolls - the pate was within a pastry case - never had it like this before - delicious. My wife had Bigos as her main - best she's ever had. I had the stuffed pork - delicious again but far too much. As an accompaniment we had the roasted potatoes - again best we've had (and my wife is from Kirriemuir and knows her "tatties"). Believe it or not she went on to have the apple pie - agin she was singing its praises. Bill for everything including couple of beers each - 120 zlotys. We are going back to Krajkow later in the year and we'll be sure to return here. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

We came across this restaurant as it was across the street from Polski Smaki; an authentic Polish cafe/ milk-bar type restaurant that the locals seems to enjoy much. The reason we stepped into "W Starej Kuchni" is because we couldn't help our ourselves. We were drawn towards the ultra-rustic decor, the pots & pans hanging off the ceiling, and the open fire from the bread baking oven. The restaurant is decorated as its namesake "in the Old Kitchen". it truly gives an authentic rustic old kitchen look that invites and becons as soon as you pass the restaurant. Indeed, it has one of the best ambiance in a restaurant that we have come across in our travels. It's well worth visiting just to experience the atmosphere..!
The food is very tasty, most dishes are authentic Polish ones. The restaurant has some excellent options if you want to try a variety of Polish dishes in small quantities. We ordered the "Parade of Polish soups"; a selection of 4 soups that include Borscht and Flaczki and the "Polish Plate"; a mixture of Polish delicacies and delights. Everything was delicious. We also had a drink of compote, which is a must for anyone travelling to Krakow; most restaurants offer compote and 2 glasses of "mulled wine", which we found no where else but this restaurant. Sweet warm wine with herbs and spices, on a cool autumn night..! A memory to cherish for long..!

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We visited this fine establishment after a long day trekking the sights of Krakow. From entry to exit the dining experience was excellent. The restaurant is eloquently decorated a reminded my Girlfriend on her Grandmothers Kitchen (of which she has fond memories). The staff were friendly and most attentive, and done a great job of guiding us to the most suitable dishes for our pallets.

For starters we had bread – olives and oils. Very fresh and delicious.

For mains my girlfriend ordered the Pierogi and I (being very hungry) ordered the Polish Plate. If like me you like to sample a little of everything go for the Polish plate. Although it was more allot of everything – I nearly had to be wheel barrowed out of the place.

This restaurant was one of the fondest memories we had of Krakow and our entire visit to beautiful Poland :-)

Reviewed 27 February 2012

I booked this based on a review on here and I'm glad we did. The nicest, friendliest service we had in Krakow (and we had lots of nice service) with a very cheery waitress serving us.
The soup is delicious, the parade of soups was wonderful. The herring was delicious too. Their dumplings were the best we tasted while in Krakow. I would avoid the 'polish plate' as it was huge and heavy and too greasy for our tastes but it was what is was supposed to be!
A lovely atmosphere, lovely staff, Including the chef who showed us how he stores his vodka in ice.
The lemon vodka was delicious and not as potent as elsewhere so actually was pleasant to taste!
Great value too, very very reasonable.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

On a very cold rainy afternoon we discovered this delightful homey restaurant on Tomasza #8, just around the corner from our apartment. We ate there 4 times during the 9 days we were in Krakow. We especially loved the atmosphere of the unusual open wood oven and very delicious bread that came from it, which is served with every meal. Everything we ate there was delicious and beautifully served. The small salad buffet that is available was a nice, inexpensive addition to all our meals. Everything is extremely well priced. Servers were not very friendly and service a bit slow but still we loved the place! Give it a try!